A Slow But Steady Nissan GU Patrol Build

Intents Offroad

Hi all! Been poking around here for a while learning my way around. It's unusual to find a forum without an introductions section! So I thought I'd make my first post one introducing my truck. It's a 1999 Nissan Patrol, 2.8 litre turbo diesel. I'm in Australia, so I know a few people on here won't be too familiar with the Patrol. I've owned it 6 years now, it's been a slow build because I've spent so much time using it!

Here's a video I recently did going over the Patrol:

I'm planning a bit 5 week journey with the Patrol in July this year, but before then will be a few more things to make up and bolt on. I'm currently welding up a twin jerry can holder for the steel rear bar, and on there I'll be making up a light pole to mount a nice big LED so I can see where I'm backing up at night!
Hopefully a winch can go in the front sometime, there has been so many times I needed one!

As I'm sure you all know it's a never ending process, as soon as you finish one thing another idea pops into your head!

Looking forward to talking everything overland and outdoors with you guys.

Alex

Globatrol

Observer
1 Beverage!

HI there, great way to set a time frame for your video! Had to be an Aussie to think that one up! And from Perth:)

Nice to see another Patrol owner on Expedition Portal, there are few of us floating around! - unUrban is a great blog if you have time, http://www.unurban.no

Might need a carton to get through it though as it's a long trip and a long read!

All the best with your Patrol and future adventures.

cheers - Justin.

www.globatrol.com

Scott H Murray

Adventure Photog
Hi all! Been poking around here for a while learning my way around. It's unusual to find a forum without an introductions section! So I thought I'd make my first post one introducing my truck. It's a 1999 Nissan Patrol, 2.8 litre turbo diesel. I'm in Australia, so I know a few people on here won't be too familiar with the Patrol. I've owned it 6 years now, it's been a slow build because I've spent so much time using it!

Here's a video I recently did going over the Patrol:

I'm planning a bit 5 week journey with the Patrol in July this year, but before then will be a few more things to make up and bolt on. I'm currently welding up a twin jerry can holder for the steel rear bar, and on there I'll be making up a light pole to mount a nice big LED so I can see where I'm backing up at night!
Hopefully a winch can go in the front sometime, there has been so many times I needed one!

As I'm sure you all know it's a never ending process, as soon as you finish one thing another idea pops into your head!

Looking forward to talking everything overland and outdoors with you guys.

Alex

Interesting video I still own a GU patrol but also own a brand new 79 series :) so am saving my pennies for an engine conversion into my Patrol or to maybe sell her.

Pop up to Darwin sometime (its not far).

arla

Observer
Just reminded me my MQ in middle east. Nice trucks. Wish we had them and 79s in US.

Intents Offroad

HI there, great way to set a time frame for your video! Had to be an Aussie to think that one up! And from Perth:)

Nice to see another Patrol owner on Expedition Portal, there are few of us floating around! - unUrban is a great blog if you have time, http://www.unurban.no

Might need a carton to get through it though as it's a long trip and a long read!

All the best with your Patrol and future adventures.

cheers - Justin.

www.globatrol.com

Ahhh yes! I have read of your adventures, and noticed the FREO numberplate! You are certainly undertaking an epic journey!

Intents Offroad

Interesting video I still own a GU patrol but also own a brand new 79 series :) so am saving my pennies for an engine conversion into my Patrol or to maybe sell her.

Pop up to Darwin sometime (its not far).

Darwin is certainly on the list mate! We were thinking of heading north from Alice in our mid year trip, but that would probably mean coming back via the kimberly which we have done recently. Haven't done S.A. yet so we were thinking of heading south instead of north.

Intents Offroad

Just reminded me my MQ in middle east. Nice trucks. Wish we had them and 79s in US.

We can pretty much hear your cries to bring the 79 to the USA from down here haha! Such a common vehicle worldwide, you must be nearly the only ones who don't get them!

skibum315

Explorer
How soon is it before the TD42t Y61s are 25 years old, again? Dang ... I know yours isn't equipped with that motor, but rather the 2.8L; but either way, like arla, I'll add to the cries for these types of trucks to come to the US.

It's cool to see some more of the Patrol threads popping up lately ... thanks for sharing!

geordie4x4

Observer
Hi Alex, good to see a few West Ausies on here. I watched your video and the Moore River video, nice work mate.

Also good to see Justin and Jen still have their Patrol, even if they have defected to Britain for a while, that is going to be a hell of a long paddle home.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Rinzlerz