Any Honda Pilot owners around here?

csclifford

Outside of Comfort
Any Honda Pilot owners on here?

I know this isn't a typical vehicle for this forum, but sadly I'm getting rid of my Grand Cherokee. My soon to be father-in-law offered me a great deal on his '07 Pilot with low miles...So I'm going to pick it up this next weekend. As capable as my Jeep was, unfortunately it got horrible gas mileage and with over 180,000 miles on it I needed something much more reliable for the next couple of years.

Once I get it I'll be sure to post some pictures, as well as my future plans to make it a little more worthy of this forum.

Hodaka

Adventurer
I test drove a new Pilot a few years back. As much as I wanted to like it, it seemed like it was built for people who don't want to have any connection to the driving experience. Numb. No steering feel, no brake feel, nothing that resembled handling feel. I guess there's a lot of people who don't really like driving, and some manufacturers are catering to them.

ducktapeguy

Adventurer
Had one for about 5-6 years. While there was nothing wrong with it, there just wasn't anything that stood out about it either. It's a car dressed up as an SUV, a middle of the road compromise that works for some people. It has the gas mileage of an SUV and the off road capability of a minivan, but without the utility of the minivan or the ruggedness of an SUV. For a daily all weather commuter it probably works great, but there's not a whole lot of aftermarket support for it compared to a 4runner or jeep.

csclifford

Outside of Comfort
Had one for about 5-6 years. While there was nothing wrong with it, there just wasn't anything that stood out about it either. It's a car dressed up as an SUV, a middle of the road compromise that works for some people. It has the gas mileage of an SUV and the off road capability of a minivan, but without the utility of the minivan or the ruggedness of an SUV. For a daily all weather commuter it probably works great, but there's not a whole lot of aftermarket support for it compared to a 4runner or jeep.

I'd agree with pretty much all of those points. I'm welcoming the somewhat better gas mileage of 20-22mpg on the highway as compared to the 15mpg my Jeep currently gets.

That being said, the vehicle is to primarily hold me over for a year or two until I save up some money for a large downpayment towards a new/newer 5th gen. 4Runner or JKU :drool:

Dake21

Adventurer
I test drove a new Pilot a few years back. As much as I wanted to like it, it seemed like it was built for people who don't want to have any connection to the driving experience. Numb. No steering feel, no brake feel, nothing that resembled handling feel. I guess there's a lot of people who don't really like driving, and some manufacturers are catering to them.

Thats how the honda crv feels like too. Honda make cars for people who doesnt like driving and paying attention to maintenance, with some exception.

WagoneerSX4

Adventurer
It'll do great as a temp vehicle while you save up. It is what it is - a reliable AWD jacked up full size station wagon. My co-worker is on his 2nd and he's already decided to get the '16 when it hits the dealers this year. He loves it and has never had a problem with any of them. He basically uses it as a minivan. I think it's a perfect vehicle for a family that just wants a comfortable point A to B vehicle that's dead reliable and can handle harsh winters. You're exactly right when you say it's the right vehicle for someone who doesn't really enjoy driving for the sake of driving.

Would I ever own one? Heck no. But there are obviously plenty of families out there that think it's perfect for them, and they're probably right.

Doc Foster

Adventurer
I had a 2009 AWD Pilot for my work vehicle. Had the timing belt replaced at 120,000, changed the oil every 5000 and it finally died last week just shy of 220,000 - broken timing belt did major damage to engine. Never replaced anything else besides brakes and tires and the key fob battery twice. I averaged 20.4 mpg over those almost 6 years and I drove the snot out of it. OK driver, very good in snow with decent tires, but I never took it offroad as it was my company vehicle. I now have a 2015 Pilot. For my adventures I stick to my Toyota Tundra.

Hodaka

Adventurer
Thats how the honda crv feels like too. Honda make cars for people who doesnt like driving and paying attention to maintenance, with some exception.

Yup, concur on the CRV.
I used to work at a Honda dealership. If you don't pay attention to maintenance, you'll pay for it - even in a Honda. The number of Civics that came in needing big bucks thrown at them due to low or no maintenance was interesting. It's a machine - take care of it.

haven

Expedition Leader
A friend has a 2003 Pilot. At about 180,000 miles, the automatic transmission failed. Replacement with a refurb quoted at $4000. The newer models are supposed to have addressed the issues that made the transmission a weak link.

csclifford

Outside of Comfort
Yeah I think I read the transmission issues were the 2003-2005 models or something like that.

Luckily my fiance's father took meticulous car of the vehicle so I'm up-to-date on even the honda recommended maintenance.

So far I don't really mind the Pilot. It definitely drives like a big car, which is actually a decent change of pace from my previous vehicle. It definitely has no steering feel though.

My plans for the vehicle while I own it (looking to be about 2-3 years), are the following:
  • Weathertech digital fit floor liners
  • Remove small Honda vinyl pinstripe
  • Paint the wheels a graphite color
  • Paint front bumper insert same graphite color

And that's really it. I'm really tempted to do a 2"front/1" rear spacer lift and run some 31" all-terrain tires...However the tires on the vehicle are only 5,000 miles old so I really have no reason to get new ones yet.

Other than that I'm starting to plan on a Colorado trip in the Pilot in June with my Fiance, after we both hopefully finish taking the CPA exam. :sombrero:

Neuf67

I was just working on my 07 pilot today. Had new tires put on (245 75 16 cooper discoverer at3 4s) and they couldn't quite get the front aligned right because of my 2.5 front 1.5 rear lift kit. Pretty close though. I like the pilot, had a great 03 durango I lifted before this but it really liked fuel so I chose this one. 4 kids so I couldn't do a4runner and wanted to spend only 6k. I don't expect my pilot to be as rugged or climb sand hills like my 5.9 did, but with the rear air bags it will haul my tent trailer and dirt bike, canoe, bikes etc, to remote places. I bought a small winch for remote location safety, but not sure how I'll mount it yet. I think you'll like the pilot.

Attachments

• 20191125_183146.jpg
    20191125_183146.jpg
    2.8 MB · Views: 19

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
WonaWarrior