Storage duffel bags 30x15x15, Any favorites? sturdy, low price

bugwhacker

Observer
I am looking at having a shelving system using duffel bags much like the Earth-roamer jeep does. I already pack that way in my normal camper and just toss everything into the top bunk so I know I like packing like this for long trips. I am mainly seeking input on favorite bags of this size.

I have found one that looks nice and comes in a lot of different colors so I don't have to label the bags just remember what color has what.

It is the Port & Company BG99 series

bag.jpg

What are your guys favorites?

I'm looking for single compartment bags also not just multi compartment. Maybe even some pack bags?

Last edited:

bugwhacker

Observer
My concern with cheap wasn't the upfront cost but more in line with replacement cost when stolen. When traveling in SA my favorite bag is the ones you get at markets made out off heavy woven plastic for like .50$ like the locals use because they don't get much attention. The only problem with them is that they don't let you store things very compactly or neatly.

AFBronco235

Crew Chief
Have you considerd surplus military duffels? They do come in a variety of sizes and shapes these days and made to be tough. They also make tool bags that work well, made of heavy canvas and don't look like anything special. Just a thought.

rayra

Expedition Leader
1) yep, get a milsurp air crew bag. They're akin to the shiny colored thing pictured above, but bigger and made from sturdy cotton canvas with big easy-operating metal zippers. They last a long damned time and they don't melt.

2) And plain old military duffels work great and are cheap. But not as frequent-access luggage. Invariably whatever you ant will be on the bottom of the bag and it's easier to dump everything out, than dig in the narrow things. See #1.

eta - ~$20. These bags are big. About 20"x18"x24" ish
http://www.armynavyusa.com/category-s/1999.htm

I've used one for a large toolbag for home remodeling projects for many years. Had a small problem with saw blades poking thru, changing my packing method to put the sharp crap in the middle and lined the bottom and sides with a bent piece of cardboard and I've put another 20yrs on the thing. Everything still works great, after years of hard and frequent use and travel. It's still my portable project bag today.

bugwhacker

Observer
I am liking these military style bags....
They have a spot for a coupon code. Anyone know a coupon for them?

This one with backpack straps, 24x15x13.

Or possibly this larger one, 29x14x?14,?15.

Maybe a mix of both? If I make the shelving area 30x15x15 like I originally planned they will both fit fine with only a little wasted space for the shorter bag which we all know wont stay wasted long as we stuff a jacket or whatever into that hole.

I can always logo or label them with stencil/spray-paint. I have done that on a lot of stuff. Cutting out the stencils can fill up a rainy day though.

Last edited:

robert

Expedition Leader
While I use North Face Base Camp bags for traveling, I have a couple of the old Cordura Outdoor Products duffles for use in the vehicle where I don't need it to be waterproof or have extra carrying/pack straps. I looked at their website and it doesn't look like they still offer the Cordura models which is a shame since mine have held up well.

rayra

Expedition Leader
one thing about milsurp bags, they'll usually have only one small flat tight external pocket, that's typically for a service member to tuck a folded paper copy of their orders into. External pockets that can open or snag or make things difficult to really stack up are generally shunned in milsurp gear. So if your organization methods are more suited to multiple baggy external pockets, forget the inexpensive traditional mil bags.
There's been some crossover in recent years, a lot of cross-pollination of civilian camping gear being tried out by mil study groups, then requisitioned in subdued mil colors like Olive Drab (OD) or Flat Dark Earth (FDE) / Coyote Brown, for issuance. Some of that stuff particularly MOLLE Day / Assault packs and small 2-man tents are now in the surplus system. And spreading all over the civilian aftermarket too.
LApoliceGear.com has some good inexpensive copies of such gear. And the FedGov Government Liquidation occasionally moves a bunch thru their web outlet at unclesamsretailoutlet.com.

Scoutman

Explorer
Another user of the Base Camp duffels but definitely doesn't fit in the cheap category. Subscribed to see what you come up with on a shelving solution.

IMG_20141003_175426_637 (Large).jpg

warejn

Observer
I use bags by Apocalypse. They are super tough, made in AK and you can get all kinds of options. I finally made it to their shop last month on a work trip and picked up another bag. Great products and service.
http://akgear.com

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

robert

Expedition Leader
Just an update, I bought a new Outdoor Products Mountain Duffle for a friend to bring some gear over in and it had a couple of small holes worn in it by the time it made it to Australia. This was brand new and not overloaded, it just didn't hold up to the conveyors and stuff. :mad: My North Face Base Camp bags have been in steady use for several years now including travel to and from oil rigs, being strapped on the back of motorcycles and riding in the back of trucks in third world countries, traveling on airlines including into third world airports, etc. A lot of TNF gear these days is crap for the brand name consumer but the Base Camp Bags, although available in some truly horrible colors, are still a quality piece of gear. Buy once, cry once.

A couple of co-workers have the Patagonia version and they seem to be holding up well too; the Caribee bags that the European guys use don't seem to last as long. Another popular option in the Gulf is ************ Workbags http://badassworkbags.com/. They're less expensive than TNF and Patagonia bags.

rayra

Expedition Leader
Nice bags, better be for their price. You can get a 15x15x36" military canvas duffle -style bag but with a long lateral zipper for $15-20. And it will take a lot of abuse and all it needs is a washing and some scotchguard. And a few bucks worth of fabric dye can make it look non-military, if that matters.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
ritabooke