Black 2003 Stock Suburban Z71 wanderings in MT, UT, WY, CO ND, MN.

rayra

Expedition Leader
Thanks kiwi I'm looking forward to it. Last time I made such trips I was tent camping or sleeping in the bed of my pickup. I'm really looking forward to some greater comforts with the Suburban.

seqouia%20tunnel%20001_zpsbnzbeckb.jpg

ExpeditionKiwi

Thanks for sharing ExpeditionKiwi. A competent stock vehicle and driver can go to some spectacular places.
You're welcome. I agree, The 7 mile rim in Moab was the most technical but it's all about line selection and speed. Wish I'd tried some more difficult trails now!? lol

Jelorian

Adventurer
Hi everyone,
I have been on ExPo for quite a while and have enjoyed reading other peoples stories of exploration in their vehicle of choice. I decided I would post pics of my adventures in my stock 2003 Z71 Suburban. First of all, I always enjoy the details behind someones journey so I'll share mine for those who may be interested... I, like many others and try to figure out the trade-offs when it actually comes time to purchase their rig. I'm a big fan of Land Cruisers and being born and raised in New Zealand my father has never not had one including many that were diesel. For 18 years our family daily driver was a blue and white FJ55 with fat tires. We went all over NZ in that thing... up skiing, river beds and beaches... Loved that pig!!
Any hoo, when I moved to Williston, ND and received a cash bonus from my oilfield job I decided it was time to upgrade from my'98 Infiniti i90T to a 4x4.
I decided I wanted the understated capability, size and comfort of a suburban. A black 2003-2007 Z71 to be exact. (I had a white 2003 in the past and loved it!)
After searching and watching craigslist for a few weeks I found one with 154K miles in Bozeman, MT and I agreed to purchase it from the guy within the first day it was posted. My friend and I made a ski trip out it and drove it back the next weekend. I have spent hours researching modifications that I could make to it and in the end I just kept taking it on trips, stock. I have taken it all over Montana, WY, and when I moved to Utah I took it to Moab twice and did Imogene Pass and Engineer Pass amongst many other trips. I have Done 20,000 miles in 2 years which has been 90% weekend exploration because I had a work truck as my week day driver. After all the off roading I have done the only mechanical issue I had was a dead alternator in flat Nebraska on Christmas day while driving back to Chicago to see my daughters. ha! (Long story but I had a Christmas miracle and I was back on the road within 1.5 hours with a replacement alternator. (On Christmas day!?) :smiley_drive:
I love(d) the ability and room to stealth camp (sleep) in this anywhere and I have had dozens of nights on my foam mattress in the back. In the end I couldn't justify spending any money on modifications when I would rather just go and spend the money on gas and food :) I would love doing trails like Imogene Pass and Engineer Pass, Colorado and 7 mile Rim Trail in Moab, UT and hanging with all the modified rigs, just throw it in 4-low and go! :)
However, when I was relocating back to Chicago from Utah this last December I was going to fast with my camper in a storm and things got a little sideways and I ended up rolling my suburban and camper. I walked away with not a scratch on me (or my dog) but my truck was totaled. :( That was the end of that.
Foolishly I didn't have full coverage insurance so I had to purchase a less expensive vehicle. God bless craigslist because I found a gem of a 1997 4Runner with 250K and still purring sweetly.
My next consideration is the vehicle I want to take on a Central American expedition. The 4Runner is more than capable but I like the idea of a 80's suburban or even a family cruiser 70's-80's Chev impala station wagon, just for the heck of it! 4wd would be nice. Hmmm, maybe another 2003 burb? Half the fun is picking your ride and then just going I think!?
So, here are some pics from my wanderings...
Feel free to post your pics and comment!
Cheers,
James

(In no particular order)

View attachment 274227View attachment 274234View attachment 274233View attachment 274232View attachment 274231View attachment 274230View attachment 274229View attachment 274228View attachment 274226View attachment 274235

Just stumbled on this thread. I love the pics and all the places you've been. I want to get out there soon and show my wife and daughter all the beautiful places our great country has to offer. Any chance you have any info on your routes? GPS coords or way points, etc?

Sorry to hear you rolled your rig and camper, but glad you and your pooch came out ok.

I love the fact that you just took your rig and just went out and drove while some of us are here just trying to get our rigs trail ready and dreaming of getting away! Hahahah..

Cheers!

ExplorerTom

Explorer
I was a little shocked when I saw pics that looked like 7 Mile Rim- and then you confirmed it. Well done in a stock 'Burb. While I was driving it in my Explorer, I was thinking how glad I was to be in it and not my Expedition.

justcuz

Explorer
Great shots of your trips. I would not be able to handle a 4Runner after having all the room in the Suburban. My Moms S-10 Blazer is like driving a Kiddy car after being used to the Suburban.
Your photos of your travels with a stock Z71 proves that these are quite capable vehicles.
I personally love the stealth factor of Suburbans, nobody usually gives them a second look unless they are dirty and obviously been used.

boll_rig

Adventurer
Cant believe that about the crash! What a bummer. At least you got in a hell of a lot in the burb before that. I very much share your mentality of just put it in 4 wheel lo and go. Mine is pretty much stock and the amount its able to do if you really take it easy it incredible. Great photos of you rallying it.

Saenzm

I'm with you on the burbs! I love it's versatility and room for the fam. Here are some of the mods I have on mine I think I am in for under $50 for all these mods. The bike rack and roof top carrier add another $400. 100_0026.jpgSuburban Collage 2.jpg
ATTACH]

Last edited:

DavidS

Observer
Man that sucks! I love the Suburbans. Theyre very capable machines in stock form and can be easily upgraded. Awesome pics.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Rinzlerz