Where did you install your CB?

e350vegas

Observer
Sorry to post this...but I cannot figure out how to search "CB". Anyway.....need to get my CB installed and looking for ideas and locations.

Thanks a ton guys!
Steve

Mwilliamshs

Explorer
A van dash is very narrow compared to other vehicles when you consider that half of it needs to be removable. I've always liked my CBs up high, like between the visors. If you drop the mic it's hanging right there, not laying on the floor. If you remove the mic the CB is very unobtrusive there. It's not in the way of knees up at the ceiling either. Wire and cable routing is easy too, just route it up the A pillar and then between the headliner and windshield. Sound quality is good up there too vs down in the floorboard under the dash. It's also out of the way for any other work or accessories under the dash. It's also less likely to be left turned on without being noticed up there where you can see its glow. Easier for passengers to use too. Also within easy reach when camped, especially from a rotated passenger seat.

Mwilliamshs

Explorer
Fabbed a little bracket that attach with the visor screws on each side and sandwich the CB between them. "Fabbed" is kind of an exaggeration. Bought a universal CB bracket set (2 black ells with long slots for screws) and drilled some holes in them so they can't slide side-to-side. Any CB shop, Radio Shack, etc has the ones I used. They normally overlap above the radio like this [radio] but I reversed them like this ]radio[.

http://www.starelectronicsandcommunications.com/adjustableuniversalmountingbracketforcbradio.aspx

bwinter714

Sorry to post this...but I cannot figure out how to search "CB". Anyway.....need to get my CB installed and looking for ideas and locations.

Thanks a ton guys!
Steve

I've had problems like that before if a forum omits "common words" when you use their search tool. You can google "CB Radio [or whatever] site:www.expeditionportal.com" and it'll return threads with the words you want. Thats how I found this one haha.

RickM

Observer
I have been thinking about this some today myself. I was thinking about mounting one up high between the visors also as I think I am going to mount an antenna on a roof rack now I am thinking about how to route the antenna wire out of the van. May just drill a small hole by the back door up high before the rubber rain seal. Should be pretty minimal.

e350vegas

Observer
My CB wont fit between the visors....

Funny....all the stuff I have been doing to this van and I still don't have an answer to this? New bumpers, insulation, winch, lights, awning, stereo, ipad mount....but damn that CB.

Putting two antennas on the front bumper.

I have just sat in the drivers seat with 4 full beers now, and the stupid CB in my other hand. Beers all done and CB not installed! lol

I mounted my 2 way radio under the passenger seat. It sits sideways so I can see it from the drivers seat. It's raised up so it is visible through the opening on the side of the seat mount. I ran the ant coax up the pillar nice and easy...

e350vegas

Observer

I really like that! Cool location for sure..accessible and out of the way. Only problem for me is I have a pelican box made for my guns that mounts right next to the passenger seat...which opens to me for quick access. It is removable to bring the toys with me :ar15: but when installed it would be right in front of that location. I think I have to make a mount to go in the dog house...I really don't want to, but I don't see any other options

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
jgrillz94