Anyone on a 2012+ FG charging house batteries off the FG Alternator?

Mock Tender

Adventurer
I posted a thread asking about charging house batteries that have received more than a few excellent answers and solutions. But what I have found out is that the 2012+ FG's are enough different that many of the solutions to charging my house batteries are unworkable: at least at my knowledge level. I have called three Fuso dealers and Fuso USA in New Jersey (Leighton Good). What I have gotten for an answer is that FG's have never been tested, except in post-mortem (that info is not for publication) for pulling trailers and being camper carriers. They have no suggestions or even hints (in most cases no experience with any customers even trying an expo camper) to give. The ECU and SAM's are subject to shut-down with any changes (substantial or minor). Apparently even mixing LED and incandescent lighting will shut the SAM down without a reprogram at the dealer.

So what I would like is actual first-hand experience from 2012+, on what, if anything, they were able to do to charge their house batteries from their truck. I am looking for the bad, the good and the ugly.

Mark

dwh

Tail-End Charlie
I was thinking about the lithium thing...seems to me, that you don't need to bulk charge to 14.0v, that you need to bulk to AND absorb at 14.0v...

Anyway, had another thought....PTO driven alternator? Meh...it's a thought anyway...

casejeep

Observer
You have to remember Alternators charge batteries pretty slow. It might work if you dont use alot of power...

Mock Tender

Adventurer
DWH- Looked up PTO alternators- interesting idea. Would have worked on my old John Deere or New Holland- but 2015 FG's seem to not be sporting a PTO. But, I am pretty sure you would not have suggested it unless you had an idea.

dwh

Tail-End Charlie
DWH- Looked up PTO alternators- interesting idea. Would have worked on my old John Deere or New Holland- but 2015 FG's seem to not be sporting a PTO. But, I am pretty sure you would not have suggested it unless you had an idea.

You give me too much credit - I actually know (nothing + zero - zip / ziltch = nada) about FG electrical systems (or transmissions). It was just an idea that popped into my head while thinking about bulk/absorb of lead-acid vs. bulk/absorb of lithium and how that super-shiny new Sterling gizmo might not be the right tool for the job after all.

So...just ruminating here...I find it hard to believe that the FG is completely incapable of supplying any extra loads. Okay, so they don't use them for campers...but what about ambulances? They ever sell them for ambulances? Or fire-trucks? There must be SOME way to supply an aux load with that truck. They can't all be intended to serve as plain vanilla delivery lorries.

dwh

Tail-End Charlie
Oh, and what exactly is the preferred charge profile of the lithium battery bank? Just 14.0v until it's full? Or are there defined bulk/absorb voltages for those things?

SkiFreak

Crazy Person
Oh, and what exactly is the preferred charge profile of the lithium battery bank? Just 14.0v until it's full? Or are there defined bulk/absorb voltages for those things?

Pretty much.
The problem is that none of the manufacturers, that I have seen, seem to agree with that.
They all appear to treat LFP batteries like a "normal" batteries, having a float cycle that would still trickle charge the batteries when full; something that is not necessary, or desired. My understanding of charging LFP batteries if to give them constant current and voltage until they are full then turn of the charging.

dwh

Tail-End Charlie
Okay, so I think I've been confused. We've got one guy with a lithium bank, and a different guy just trying to charge some house batteries from a new FG?

Two completely different situations that have become linked in my mind...

dlh62c

Explorer
....So what I would like is actual first-hand experience from 2012+, on what, if anything, they were able to do to charge their house batteries from their truck.....

Earthcruiser and ATW's Global Warrior both do it. You might contact them for the details.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Randy Towles