2nd gen Dodge, largest size spare in stock location

Darwin

Explorer
Wondering what the largest size spare I might be able to fit in the stock location on a 97 CTD. Trying to decide what what wheel tire combo I want to go with, it would be nice to have a full size spare in the stock location to keep the COG low with the Northstar slide in camper. I have heard 285/75/17 barely fits, but all the 17's I have seen have a lower load range in 3,000 lbs with the Toyos. 285/75/18 Toyo AtII's would be perfect and put me at a nice crusing speed with my 5 speed manual, I wonder If I can somehow get them to squeeze under there. Maybe let the air out of the spare tire all the way and use a heavy duty ratchet strap to make it fit?

Regcabguy

Oil eater.
Wondering what the largest size spare I might be able to fit in the stock location on a 97 CTD. Trying to decide what what wheel tire combo I want to go with, it would be nice to have a full size spare in the stock location to keep the COG low with the Northstar slide in camper. I have heard 285/75/17 barely fits, but. all the 17's I have seen have a lower load range in 3,000 lbs with the Toyos. 285/75/18 Toyo AtII's would be perfect and put me at a nice crusing speed with my 5 speed manual, I wonder If I can somehow get them to squeeze under there. Maybe let the air out of the spare tire all the way and use a heavy duty ratchet strap to make it fit?

I had the old 285-75-17's in the original load range E Toyo AT's with the 3900# rating. Currently I'm running the 3195# load range E's in the same size AT2's. To be honest I can't tell the difference. Sidewall bulge is the same @ 60 psi. Ride's the same. I don't know if the 18" cousin would fit on a 2nd gen. I had 285-75-16's on my '98.5 and it was snug as I recall. The 3ply common sidewall seems to be essentiall. I believe the tire industry redesignated the standards awhile back.
On mine,I have to pull the spare rearward and ratchet strap it down to keep it off the Mag Hytec.
I don't trust the hoists after having one fail on my 2nd gen. I complement it with the strap.

Darwin

Explorer
m gonna try the no air and ratchet strap, because i wanna jam a 37 under my 3rd gen! lemme know how it works out for ya.
Back at ya, let me know. I did see where someone, not sure if it was an employee of carli or what, but they did manage a 37 under their 3rd gen, but it was a BFG, so a little smaller than a true 37 tire.

bloodyWEST

Adventurer
I don't know how you guys do it. I stuck a tape measure down there, I recall it being like33" wide and figured it couldn't be done. I've had my 285-75 17 in the bed ever since. And it sucked with my camper.
93c45774805e93d6b0ef49e7da4486c0.jpg

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Last edited:

Brewtus

Adventurer
Assuming you haven't already sorted this out:
I have 285/75/16 Federal Couragia M/T's. I have to hook the flanges of the hitch receiver mount into the gaps of the tread to fit mine in there. If I didn't have the hitch receiver, I might be able to get 17's in, but otherwise, 32.75" is about all you're going to get. Also, I believe mine rubs on the tail pipe slightly. Which is smaller than what is on the Cummins, so you might look at that clearance too.

SSSSTFIRE

Adventurer
FWIW I've had a BFG 305/70R16 in the stock location for over 200k with no issues on the stock hoist rig. Haven't tried anything larger.

Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
jgrillz94