Nitto Trail Grappler - real world feedback

jkuaz

Thanks for the feedback everyone!

They are spendy which is why I was looking for some good feedback on these before dropping a large chunk of cash on them.

I have them on my Jeep JK in T315/70R17/8. I have aprox 10k on them and hardly much wear. I did lots of trail, rock crawling, and high speed high way on them, and like them a lot.

Never had a flat w them.

eaneumann

Adventurer
I had them on my Jeep JK when I sold it. Had about 25k miles on them and was expecting to get 40-50k out of them, they wore awesome. Mine were 37/12.50/17. Decent on highway, killer offroad and in the rocks. Not good on ice/snow. And a very heavy tire. I used my Jeep as a DD and rock crawler. I replaced it with a Tundra that I won't be putting these tires on! If they were better in the snow, they would be my first choice.

mikejr

I run them, a few observations:

* In lighter vehicles, they are stiff enough that they don't flex very well when aired down until the single digits - for that matter I run the 35s at 24psi.

* They are heavy for their size - generally heavier than an alternative brand tire of a larger size (35" Nitto's are much heavier than 37" BFG TKOs).

* They tend to run truer to size than some, the 35x12.5 tire is closer to 35" that others I've seen in OD.

* Mine balanced with very little (none on two) weight, this seems to be consistent with others that have them.

* On some of the local fleet vehicles that use them, 45k miles seems to be the average life.

* They're much quieter than other tires with similar tread patterns.

I've read that they don't do well in deep snow, my experience is that they did well in the 6-18" snows we've had, perhaps it wasn't deep enough to highlight the shortcomings.

One last thing, the sidewalls have slightly different designs on each side - one is 'blocky' the other is more angular, something to consider when having them mounted.

Last edited:

TrailWhale

Observer
I've been running these on my 2012 F250, in a 37 1250 17 size.
They have been on the truck for just over 20,000 miles, and I do expect to see another 10-15K out of them.
I tow almost daily, averaging around 6000 lbs in a 14' enclosed trailer for work. I do construction work, so muddy, steep, rutted job sites are common place for me.
They have worn evenly, and require very little (if any) weight to balance.
Dry pavement, they are very nice. Not too loud, but a slight hum (it is a mud tire after all)
Wet pavement, they tend to be a little loose for my liking, but not so much that I feel unsafe.
Mud/rocks, just awesome. They seem to find grip where there really shouldn't be anY.
Snow (used up to 8" deep) they were excellent at cleaning out and keeping my heavy truck moving.
Icy roads, they are ok. But again, it's a mud tire, so you will need to be careful.
Now, to clarify all this. I live in the western end of North Carolina. Lots of curvy roads and elevation changes. The roads here are mainly made with crushed granite which is naturally abrasive and slick when wet. I do feel that these tires (and any tire really) wear faster in this area because of how the roads are. I used to live in Central Florida, which is flat, and roads are either concrete (sandstone) or blacktop, which is a far more forgiving surface than what's used up here. Tires on my trucks in FL lasted far longer than they do up here. I had a set of 40" GoodYear Wrangler MT/R's on my 2005 Super Duty, and had nearly 60,000 miles on them with a good 7-8/32 of tread left on them when I sold it. I domt see any tires really lasting very long up here. It's something that needs to be considered when looking at tire reviews.

Hope this all helps.

CSG

Explorer
...I have a '10 Tundra double cab that is currently sitting on BFG All Terrain KO2's (275/70-18). These have been great tires but they are reaching the end of their lifespan...

Didn't these tires just come out a few months ago? How many miles are on them? Or did you mean KO and not KO2?

aldenfost

I have the Nitto Terra Grappler 2 on my truck and i'm quite satisfied with the performance. It's not the best off road tire, but it's good enough for me on a daily basis. I'm particular with noise so one thing i like abt them is it gives a quiet ride whether on wet or dry bumpy road.

Boost Creep

Adventurer
i've got em on my yukon. 285/65/18's. been really happy with them. i'm on my second set. they've done great in mud, clay and snow for me. haven't been in sand with them yet. they had no issues dragging a rover lr3 out of the woods this winter either

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
jgrillz94