new MacBook vs Retina MacBook Pro

haven

Expedition Leader
Apple just announced a new laptop. The MacBook is a technological tour de force, squeezing a 12 inch 2304x1400 Retina display into a 2 lb package that's thinner and lighter than the standard MacBook Air model. The Macbook uses the latest Intel Core-M processor, allowing the laptop to run without a fan, and Intel HD Graphics 5300. The new MacBook features a new keyboard and trackpad, and a new USB Type C reversible connector.

The new USB connector is used for all wired connections to the outside world: Power, USB, Displayport, HDMI, and wired Ethernet. An Apple dongle that allows simultaneous use of all these cables costs $79. The good news is that USB-C is an open standard being adopted by many manufacturers, so less expensive connectors should be available soon.

MacBook prices start at $1299 (1.1 GHz Core M processor, Retina screen, 8 GB RAM, 256 GB flash storage).

Apple also upgraded the MacBook Pro line. The Retina MacBook Pro receives the latest Intel "Broadwell" Core i5 or i7 processors, Intel HD Graphics 6000, faster flash memory, and Thunderbolt 2 connectors. The 13 inch Retina screen continues to offer 2304 x 1440 pixels. The Retina MacBook Pro weighs 3.5 lb, and offers a full set of ports: 2 USB 3.0, 2 Thunderbolt, HDMI, SDXC memory card (used by many camera manufacturers), and a headphone jack. (I didn't see a headphone jack mentioned in the materials for the new Macbook. Update: it looks like a headphone port may be on the right size near the screen. It almost doesn't fit because the case is so thin.)

MacBook Air with Retina screen prices also start at $1299, and can go much higher depending on storage and processor options. For $1299, you get a Broadwell Core i5 processor, Intel Iris Graphics 6100, 8 GM RAM, 128 GB storage, and the 13 inch Retina screen. Add $200 to match the Macbook's 256 GB of flash memory.

So would you choose MacBook or Macbook Pro?

haven

Expedition Leader
For my use, the Macbook looks like the better choice. I use this size of portable device for web browsing and document creation, plus a little bit of work making simple edits to digital photos. I don't try to make a portable of this size do heavy lifting for graphics. (I have a desktop for that sort of computing.)

The new Macbook weighs about the same as my third generation (Retina) iPad plus case. It's an amazing achievement.

Scott Brady

Founder
It looks pretty good. Wish it had 16gb of RAM for image processing, but it should make for a fantastic travel/work machine. The lack of fan should further improve durability.

nwoods

Expedition Leader
The USB-C port is certainly controversial. I wonder what kind of metrics they used to evaluate giving up connectivity verses the remarkable thinness of the new port. Having to use dongles and hubs and octopus connectors is very non-elegant, and...un-Apple-like. But it worked at getting the chassis thinner than believed possible. Very interesting. Curious what a 14" or 15" MacBook would be like. Curious what kind of compromises they made in the graphics department to power a 12" screen on that teeny tiny motherboard, and how that would impair scalability on a larger 15" display?

haven

Expedition Leader
Fans of Microsoft Windows laptops have several similar devices to choose from. The new Dell XPS 13 packs a 13 inch high resolution display into the form factor of an 11 inch body, and offers a touchscreen as an option. The Dell includes several ports omitted from the new MacBook. The Dell starts out at a lower price point, but ends up close to the Macbook when equipped in a similar fashion. Maybe most important, the Dell is 8 oz heavier. The Dell uses the Intel Core i5 processor, so it is really a competitor for the MacBook Pro model, not the new MacBook.

Other Windows laptops that compete with the Macbook are the Asus Zenbook UX305 And Lenovo Yoga 3 Pro. Both have somewhat shorter battery life, and weigh more than the new MacBook, but have lower starting prices.

I'm sure Windows laptop manufacturers will be able to build models with performance, weight and battery life close to the MacBook. for example, Lenovo has a model coming soon that is even lighter than the MacBook, but lacks the battery life.

robgendreau

Explorer
That new USB port is the standard; you'll be eventually seeing it everywhere. Sorta like a lightning or thunderbolt; reversible. And higher power, up to 3A. And wicked fast.

I'm sure it's a fine machine, but I wonder if we're getting near a point with it, and others, where lightness is a detriment in terms of ruggedness. I have always liked the 13" MBPs; seems like a sweet spot for size. But I carry a refurb'd Acer much of the time. I still prefer some Windows stuff since the Mac OS still kind of lags for ham software and nav software. And frankly it's more disposable in case it goes in the creek or gets stolen.

But the new Macbook would look nicer with my Apple Watch Edition in gold, no?

kojackJKU

Autism Family Travellers!
Yeah, I would pick the new asus or dell. My good ole 14" acer timeline with 12 plus hrs of battery life is good enough for me! works just as fast any anything else in real life. maybe benchmarking its slower. But nothing your going to notice. Plus, I still have a DVD burner in it.

haven

Expedition Leader
https://www.thurrott.com/mobile/mic...cbook-vs-surface-pro-3-which-is-more-portable

Here's a decent comparison of the new Macbook with the Microsoft Surface Pro 3 (SP3), which is a tablet+keyboard. The author is a diehard Microsoft supporter, but I think the comparison is pretty even-handed.

SP3 comes in several configurations, so you can choose the processor and storage options (and price) that work best for your application. Because the SP3 was designed for use as a tablet, it includes touchscreen capability, and the keyboard is detachable. SP3 plus keyboard is a few ounces heavier and a little bit thicker than the Macbook. SP3 battery life is a little less, according to the manufacturers' estimates.

The Macbook keyboard is an unknown factor. Some say it took only a few minutes of typing to adjust, while others report they remained uncomfortable after the half hour that Apple gave reviewers to use the new laptop. The SP3 keyboard is generally considered a step down from a real laptop, but still workable.

The SP3 has been available since about a year ago. I'm sure Microsoft is working on the Surface Pro 4. It will be interesting to see how the platform evolves.

kojackJKU

The keyboard on the SP3 takes some getting used to, however it is easily useable after about 10 min of adjusting. I am guessing that the MBP would be about the same.

nwoods

Expedition Leader
Chip, that was a pretty good comparison article. Not fully in agreement that the $200 more expensive Surface Pro wins on price though! But I grant you that you will need to spend some cash on dongles for the MacBook. I also agree with him that the MacBook should have had TWO of the USB-C ports, saving the need for a dongle and/or hub and having less crap to carry, which is the whole point. Kudo's to Microsoft for including a MicroSD in the Surface.

I have used a Surface 3, and yeah, its noisy and hot, and I struggle with the screen resolution. Window's just doesn't scale as intelligently as OSX does. Anandtech has a great article on that here: http://www.anandtech.com/show/7939/scaling-windows-the-dpi-arms-race. For me, the readiblity of the MacBook and the full size keyboard are clinchers if I had to choose between the two. I can mimic touchscreen usefulness on the MacBook touchpad, so it's less of an issue for me, plus, I am not addicted to an iPad type device, so when I'm on a device larger than my phone, using a touchpad is still instinctive rather than smearing my fingerprints on the screen.

kojackJKU

I used to be like that. Now, everything I own is touch screen. The only thing left is my acer 14" timeline. That's getting replaced with a touchscreen version soon enough. I use it all the time.

nwoods

Expedition Leader
I used to be like that.

Oh I get it. I remember trying to go back to a two button mouse once after using a three button mouse (before scroll wheels). You couldn't get that fancy new three button mouse of of my cold dead hands. I loved it too much compared to a 2-button mouse.

kojackJKU

Oh yeah, I have an older 17" notebook my wife uses for her card making and we travel with it as well, im constantly touching the screen. ha ha

CSG

Explorer
I had been a PC guy from the get go but last April, bought a 13" MBP as a refurb from Apple. I paid under a grand and was surprised that they sent me a better version that I ordered. Mine has the 2.8 ICore 1.7 chip and 16 megs of ram as well as a 256k flash drive. Took some getting used to and, honestly, I don't like Apple's way of doing much of their business. However, I also ended up with an iPhone 5S (which I like for its small size) and an iPad Air which I use primarily to stream music to my home audio. I've also had, generally, excellent customer support from Apple whereas my experiences with Dell sucked. No interest in the new MB at this time as I get 8-9 hours of use on my own MBP and I still find it remarkably light and compact in my travels. Strong wi-fi too.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
jgrillz94