Building on a full size, any regrets?

Stoney126

Adventurer
Hey guys, Ive read some of the builds on here and im pretty impressed. So much inspiration to get my Superduty built up a bit. I have to say I am a hesitant to start
any serious modification due to the size of my truck. I love my truck and it will be with me until I or it is completely dead so I take pretty good care of it and dont like to see it get beat up. Yes its a truck but I want to hold up for another 20 years at least.

Anyway after all is said and done have Ya been on the trail and said I should built something smaller?

plainjaneFJC

Deplorable
What do you mean by "trail" There is a big difference between offroading just to "offroad", versus driving over unimproved roads to get to a destination.

SDDiver5

Expedition Leader
What do you plan on doing? If you're going to be in the mountain of the east then you should definitely go something smaller. If you're in the desert area then a SD will be no problem at all. I used to have an excurison that I took all over the south west and never had a problem. But if I was in the mountain with trees and tight switchbacks then it might be a diff story.

I currently have an F150 and it works perfectly. Usually.

chaos616

Adventurer
I say no to that question. Mine is pretty big, but i specifically bought it shorter than longer. I think length is the biggest issue. As far as skinny wise mine is no wider than stock and so far i have not found any trail that i haven't gone on. 2007 GMC Sierra 2500HD classic ext. cab short box.

Once we ended up on an old high wall of an old open pit mine, The left side was about 1-2 ft. up on the bank and the right was about 1' from the edge of a 20' drop. The jeep in front of us was doing no better really and we all started slowly sliding off. Ultimately we decided we didn't want to end our lives on this highwall bench so we backed out carefully and called it good. ***Also this was really stupid in hindsight, i know that.

I think it really depends on what fits you and your needs the best.

Cheers,

Stoney126

Adventurer
What do you mean by "trail" There is a big difference between offroading just to "offroad", versus driving over unimproved roads to get to a destination.

Trail is the wrong word. I guess to do both options really. I dont expect to take my truck on the rubicon but If I need to do a bit of crawling to get somewhere I dont want it to be totally out of the question. I guess I should have asked instead of regret how much does your size hinder your travel plans? Love to go to this location but my truck is to big and will get smashed up pretty good.

What I plan on doing is a tough question Because frankly I havent done any of it. Always big plans but never comer forth due everyday life stuff. I want to explore and see things. Mojave Road is on the top of my list and want to see things like it. If I got tons of places to explore like that then I have no worries. but if its few and far between maybe I should go with something smaller. I dont want a rocker crawler just dont wanna be left at the bottom either

98dango

Expedition Leader
My 2000 super duty has been the perfect platform for us. We love it CCSB is great 35s a little lift is great. We take it every where and dose good. Yes it's big but still gets there and has a all its body parts.

coastal616

Adventurer
I'm building my superduty, but don't think I'll be able to part with my long traveled 4runner. I see 2 different purposes for each vehicle, the super duty being family sized, can pack any amount of gear, but is so wide it makes it a lot more work to get to somewhere the 4runner could easily scoot into. The 4runner is fast and comfortable at speed, but room is limited, weight capacity is limited and power is limited. It really depends on your end goal.

SlowJoe

Keep the full size and if you need or want to go into smaller places, then that's why they make 4 wheelers!

pappawheely

Autonomous4X4
What do you plan on doing? If you're going to be in the mountain of the east then you should definitely go something smaller. If you're in the desert area then a SD will be no problem at all.

I agree, Trees and tight trails are a challenge sometimes when you are driving something long. In the deserts, it's not a problem.

Last edited:

AFBronco235

Crew Chief
The only problem you may encounter is with your approach angles on your front and rear bumpers. You don't want to get either hung up on rocks, especially with a loaded bed.

I take my bronco wheeling, and while its as small as a full size can get and still be a full sized rig, I can take it anywhere a lifted jeep can go, even with the factory stock suspension.

10955571_10206114074390451_9073246851207963299_n.jpg

With your setup, the only mods I'd offer up would be either a locker or LS differential in the rear axle and anything else should be limited to cab comfort and gadgets. Things like a power inverter for a tablet or computer and GPS. Stuff along those lines. Anything else would be a waste at this point, until you've tried your rig out a bit to see what it really needs now

wpnaes

I agree, Trees and tight trails are a challenge sometimes when you are driving something long. In the deserts, it's not a problem.

Beautiful photo! Agree, go full size and pull something small or a cycle behind you for exploring. Nothing like room to move.

Attachments

• Calico_75.jpg
    Calico_75.jpg
    599.2 KB · Views: 31
  • Calico_80.jpg
    Calico_80.jpg
    507.7 KB · Views: 31
  • Schmidt12.jpg
    Schmidt12.jpg
    140.4 KB · Views: 32

rayra

Expedition Leader
Napa? West of the Mississippi? Cruising? Go forth and build in peace. We got all the room in the world out here.

eta they even make the holes in the trees big enough out here

seqouia%20tunnel%20001_zpsbnzbeckb.jpg

Last edited:

brianjwilson

Some sort of lost...
I don't think I can add a whole lot to what's been said, but echo the point that it simply depends on what you want to do or where you want to go. In most of the country, including the desert and southwest, full size isn't much of an issue. However there are a lot of tight, wooded and overgrown trails in the Pacific Northwest that are limited by size. Many trails around where I live had 75" width restrictions or similar. On the other hand a lot of people don't know that here either!

I had an f150 on 35s with front and rear lockers, and found it to be way too big for what I like to do most of the time near home. Yes I could get places but not like I can in a smaller truck or jeep. Even my JK had scuff marks on the outer corners of the roof line (most narrow part) from being wedged into trees on tight off camber trails.

If you're happy with your truck, keep working with it. It seems like size isn't going to be a big issue where you are. Having a solid rig with a known history is probably more important than anything else.

98dango

Expedition Leader
A fullsize is not a TRAIL rig but it will get you there. I love my superduty and yes there places it won't fit. I ask myself do I need to be there. Once I have my scout ready or takes the cj5.

It really comes down to the question are you and exploring person or a wheeling person.

Our rigs are a means to our hobbie. If your hobbie is more wheeling than you need a smaller rig.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
jgrillz94