2000 E-250 5.4 Ida Vanning Build

bkbroiler00

Observer
Hello - I've been scoping out different threads and builds, etc in an effort to get an idea which way I want to go. Holy smokes, it's overwhelming! After a couple months of "lurking," I can't take it anymore. The extra hour of sunshine in the evening, melted snow and warm weather...it's time to get a start! Guess this is my build thread. I'm not great at documenting on a consistent basis, so apologies in advanced for those who will be left hanging on the edge of their seats, waiting for regular updates. Progress will come, though!

There are constantly thousands of van related thoughts running through my head at any given moment. After I'm able to dial it in, it makes sense to me to start with insulation & wiring. However, before I do that, I should install a window(s). I for sure want to put one on the driver's side, just behind the driver's door. I definitely want one that opens. I'm torn on what size, though. I've seen the bigger, T-style ones, that cut in just below the driver's door window line (example from UJOR Build Thread #2772)
1012958_882770298408866_5149163539109778702_n.jpg

I've also seen the mid range size (photo from John & Mandi's website).
DSC_3446-L.jpg

Then there is the lil' guy, like so (from UJOR Build Thread #2719).
11043013_941396855879543_8162908271147123845_n.jpg

I like the size of John & Mandi's, however I like the rubber gasket border look the others have. Decisions...

If anyone has any useful advice on which size (installation, availability, issues, etc), I'm all ears.

I'd also appreciate a good source for any of these windows. I've done a Google search for "van rv windows" and found some sites that stock a CRL horizontal sliding horse trailer window. Is that what the smaller one is? I've also searched to find the bigger ones. It seems they're also CRL. Where is the best place to purchase these? Thanks, and here's a pic of Ida Vanning as she stands now...

IMG_0634.jpg

Shocker

VanDOOM!
I think the CRL windows seem to be the best ones in the game.

You could also look for someone parting out a conversion van and pull one from there.

bkbroiler00

Observer
Window Installed

I ended up picking up a new in box CRL sliding window from a member over on Sportsmobile Forum. I had been looking at windows for a while but just couldn't pull the trigger on one. One night I randomly came across the for sale post. Enough waiting around, I contacted the seller and we arranged shipping. I love it when things kind of just fall into place like that.

Last weekend I was able to get the window installed! I must've read a thousand posts on how to do it. (or maybe i read all the ones I could find a thousand times...) Making the template and knowing the inside needs to be cut out larger were very good advice. I used the angle grinder w/ cut-off wheel to do the deed. I use that tool a lot at work and am really comfortable with operating it. I'm surprised at how thick the outer skin sheet metal is. Guess that's why they call it Built Ford Tough. The angle grinder did burn just the very edge of the paint where I cut out, but I hit it with the wire wheel to clean off and then with some spray paint. The edge gets completely covered by the window frame, so that and with the paint, it should be all good. Another internal debate I was having was which sealant to use. Of course, there are several threads out there that talk about this, and they all suggest something different. I'm sure there are several viable choices and I ended up going with RTV Silicone that I bought at Napa (it was that or 3M 08500 body sealant). Used over 3/4 of the tube to make sure a good seal was made. A couple days after I completed the window, we had about 4 straight days of slushy sleet and rain, and the window seal looks to be holding up great!

bkbroiler00

Observer
Axle Rebuilding

Thanks for the kudos on the window. It was much easier than expected, and has been performing great. It's been raining for what seems like a month straight here, not a drop of moisture on the inside!

Anyways, it's getting to the time where I need to get a start on re-building the front axle I picked up a while back, and re-gearing the rear to match. Here are a few points i'm curious about:

-what ratio should I run? this is the 5.4L w/ stock transmission (anyone know off the top of their head what tranny that'd be?). i'll be running 35" tires on a 17" rim. seems like 4.56 or 4.88 are the two contenders. what are people's thoughts?

-i'm 99% sure i'm running a D60 in the rear. i'm not sure 30 or 35 spline, though. would that be on the differential tag? what recommendations are there for rebuild kits? should i just do the the R&P in the rear, or axle shafts, too? while it's opened up, it's probably a good idea to add a locker or a limited slip, too. what are thoughts on that? i'd like to put USA made components in when possible.

-i was told the front axle i picked up came from an F550. super burly! i need to take a closer look for an ID tag so I can be sure what parts to order. i know it needs hubs for sure, and i'll do the full rebuild of seals, bearings, shafts, etc. would it be wise to add some type of locker in the front, too? in the past i had a built up jeep unlimited, and it had an OX locker in the front. maybe i should go that route again? i can't recall the benefits/drawbacks of the different styles of locking diffs.

summary:
what gear ratio?
what rebuild parts/kit?
(by "i'll do..." i mean i'll help my buddy who knows what he's doing and I'll learn about rebuilding axles;-)

As always, thanks for the input/feedback/suggetions/two cents...:victory:

350outrage

Adventurer
I have the stock open diff in the rear, and LS in the front. Real cheap and convenient, as you don't have to worry about excessive understeer or wierd tire wear while hubs are locked out. Lock 'em in when things get slippery, and it handles great. When I took my van over to UJOINT for conversion, Chris gave us a ride to Charlotte in V-5, a 5.4 running 35's, and I think he told me he had 4.56 gears in it. At any rate, I would certainly gear down to at least 4.10's, and 4.56's if you anticipate Serious off road or towing. The 35's are going to gear you up quite a bit. Play with a gear ratio/tire calculator on line to see what I mean. (I think Tire rack still has one on their site). After playing with gear ratio/tire calculator, I chose the ratio that put me closest to the stock 3.73 with 29" tires the van came with. Now I'm running 33's with 4.10's and my speedo is within 2mph. . . not enough variance to worry about.

Last edited:

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Randy Towles