2011 Nissan Frontier Pro 4x Build

bijanjames

Adventurer
That looks great Bijan! I'll bet those gained you some height in a hurry. I'm at 11 3/4" under the front, 10 1/4" under the back. Geez mine is tall... Notice any impact on mileage or driveability yet? Feel much different?

I'll throw a vote in for the black diff cover. Red is a bit loud for your current design scheme.

I gained about and inch all around. 10 1/4"in the front and 10 1/2" under the rear differential. Definitely can feel the slight loss in gear and can feel the rotational mass braking.

E.J.

Explorer
I was changing my engine air filter today and noticed a fair bit of dust on the engine side of air box just below the filter. After replacing the filter and trying to close the air box I realized why...The mounts on the engine side of the box just don't close properly. The middle tab doesn't seat at all and this is causing dust to get into the box. I researched this and found it to be a fairly common problem. Anyone on here having this problem? This just might be a good reason to get a snorkel!

View attachment 366883

FWIW I replaced my Fram with a Wix today and the airbox closed much easier.

wreckdiver1321

Overlander
I also had that problem with a few air filters. The Wix filters are a bit thinner and seat a bit better. The important is getting the guide pins in place on the back of the air box, then the clips should hold properly and clamp the lid down better.

bijanjames

Adventurer
Rotating Six Tires

I went ahead and ordered a second full size spare to put underneath the truck, now that I know a 255/85r16 fits under there. I'm going to go ahead and order a matching pro4x wheel to go with it so that I can rotate all six tires. Obviously this has its advantages with the tires lasting much longer and keeping all six tires the same size throughout there life. On the previous Coopers I did a five tire rotation and this seemed to pay off in how well the tires were wearing.

So I ask. Does anyone know the proper way to rotate six tires? There are no diagrams on the web...My guess is, front tires cross over and go to opposite side spares, spares go straight to the back tires, and back go straight to the front. Seem right?

Here is a pic of a new Cooper 255/85r16 vs factory BFG Rugged Terrain in 265/75r16

IMG_4702.jpg

Yes. 3.69 stock. Since the tire measures short for a 255/85 (32.8") I should have only lost about 3.5% or so. I can tell a slight difference taking off. I have to release the clutch slightly more and speed has definitely increased when in first gear and all the way off the clutch. I can also feel a slight difference braking. I think going any taller wouldn't be worth it.

Thank you for the insight. I stayed with the stock 265-75-R16 size when I bought my Coopers. I considered the 255s but was concerned with the gearing. I'm glad to hear you aren't badly effected with the taller tires.

I gained about and inch all around. 10 1/4"in the front and 10 1/2" under the rear differential. Definitely can feel the slight loss in gear and can feel the rotational mass braking.

The rotational mass is a burden with the Maxx tires, but I like the insurance of having them in the hills and with the cactus needles. I think rotation weight is equivalent to 4 time the static weight of an object. I could be more, but I can't remember. I too noticed mass of the tires when taking off and braking. I did have a 2 MPG hit.

bijanjames

Adventurer
I ordered a sixth wheel from Parts Geek and a tire from Discount, getting them mounted tomorrow. Some might feel that two spares might be overkill, but if you can store them without interfering with space, why not. Another reason would be the odd size of the tire, which would be hard to come by in some areas. We plan on exploring Alaska, and Western Canada next year, and it brings piece of mind to know you have a couple of backup tires. Next on the list is the recovery mounts that E.J. just received and a black ARB diff cover.

Cleaned the truck up this past weekend. I love the way it looks with a bigger tire! They really give it a purposeful look.

IMG_4733.jpg

bijanjames

Adventurer
Softopper and U.S. Rack For Sale $450

IMG_4521.jpgIMG_4584.jpg

Softopper is in excellent condition, garage kept, no tears, or sun damage. U.S. rack is universal and has hilift, shovel, axe, and two bike mounts. Rockymounts sold separately for $100. Will sell the softopper and rack separately. $300 for softopper and $150 for rack. Softopper fits 05' - 17' frontier short bed, 58".

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
norcalmaier