Getting very close on finishing the frame for the Bigfoot

yabanja

Explorer
I considered installing shocks on my mount but was concerned it would transfer torsional stress to the camper. Not a concern with the bigfoot's sturdy construction I assume?

Allan

pugslyyy

Expedition Vehicle Engineer Guy
I considered installing shocks on my mount but was concerned it would transfer torsional stress to the camper. Not a concern with the bigfoot's sturdy construction I assume?

Allan

Yeah it just helps with sway/oscillations a bit. You actually may need it for when you are in the camper and parked.

pugslyyy

Expedition Vehicle Engineer Guy
Mark

You'll have to post some photos of the inside of the camper when you get a chance.

What's your plan on steps?

Is that a Stromberg Carlson Lend-A-Hand attached near the door?

Do you find its placement optimum for the new height of the camper?

Stromberg Carlson also makes an Easy-Open-Handrail.

View attachment 276988

Hmm, I have not seen that handrail - that would be kinda nice. Only problem is I would still need to hop up to unlock the door (thinking about access while we are on the road and don't pull out the steps, like for a quick lunch or potty break)

Mock Tender

Adventurer
Hi guys-

I believe that we will be finished this afternoon and I will post more pictures when I can. We leave here on Thursday, so not sure when.

As for the bumpstops and shocks- we just did 660 miles and it worked perfect. I had thought about adding turnbuckle system for highway driving, but it was steady on the highway, cross winds and high speed turns.

The handle came on the trailer and we left it there. We did have to cut-off and re-weld much stiffer supports for the new four step (doesn't touch the ground when extended) pull out stairs.

Except for a few niggly things inside the BigFoot, that I will fix myself- I am really happy.

Now it is off to go exploring.

Mark

Billincamo

Mark,
It's Bill (the firefighter from across the street). Great talking to you today and thanks for all the information. Your rig is awesome and done right with no expense spared. I was very impressed. Good Luck on your trip and be safe!
Bill

HeftyFabworks

Hello everyone,
I asked Mark not to mention who did the build initially just because we didn't want to be flooded with calls while figuring out the quirks. My name is Chris Hefty and my brother and I own Hefty Fabworks in Colorado Springs. When Mark initailly called about the project we were confident we could handle the task. Little did we know what we were getting into. This was a fun project and I would be happy to share our discoveries along the build process. In total the build took 5 weeks in between our day to day orders. This included the Bumper, and the rear motorcycle lift. We spent several days just working on design/engineering and contemplating every possible scenario of what could go wrong and ways to avoid it. We did not drill or weld to the Fuso chassis at any point utilizing only the factory holes in the frame. All of the frame brackets are built from 3/8" steel plate and CNC cut and bent. There are things I would likely do different, like get a taller and wider vehicle lift and a taller shop door, both of which are in the works.
Chris

Last edited:

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
WonaWarrior