Jet Boil meals

Eric3187

Adventurer
I recently bought a jet boil system, mainly for when i leave the truck and hike out somewhere for a few days, as well as a simple cooking setup when in the back of the truck and i dont want to use the bigger stove.

What are some easy to make/clean meals that can be cooked in a jet boil cup? just looking for single serving meal ideas. :chef:

Expedition Leader
Well the easiest to make and clean up would be Mountain House or similar dehydrated dishes, since the whole purpose of a Jet Boil is to boil water efficiently... there's no clean-up either except to wash your spork and pack-out the trash of the Mountain House bag.

Beyond that, you can make oatmeal or cracked wheat cereal for breakfast, and whatever else you can cook with only one or two pots (if you carry a Sierra Cup for example to cook and/or eat out of). Sorry if this is not exactly what you were looking for.

Herbie

Rendezvous Conspirator
Check out this book (and a couple of others like it):
http://smile.amazon.com/Freezer-Bag.../1411660315/ref=sr_1_1?ie=UTF8&qid=1426272168

There are whole swaths of trail food recipes based on boiling water and freezer-grade ziplock bags. When I was ultralight packing, literally every meal was in a ziplock (though not all were hot). To "cook" I also had a "cozie" made out of reflectix to keep the heat in a bit better. It's important to note that not every meal is just dumping hot water into a bag of ingredients - you can scramble eggs, cook meat, and do a bunch of stuff. It's like a short-term sous vide system, if you're familiar with that cooking technique.

I was using an alcohol stove to boil water, but the jet-boil will just get you there more quickly.

eaneumann

Adventurer
We've always had a really hard time cooking in our jet boils. We only use them for boiling water now. They work amazing for coffee and dehydrated meals. We use ours for coffee while car camping and for dehydrated meals while backpacking. We always burn anything else we try to make with it. Even tried their frypan with no luck.

LandCruiserPhil

Expedition Leader
Like other said its hard to cook out of Jetboil because it does not do well with low heat.

It great for boiling water, heating up canned food (if you stir it a lot) and popcorn as a little treat.

CSG

Explorer
I never quite understood the appeal of the Jetboil. While I don't use it much anymore, a small MSR Pocket Rocket is all I used over the past decade as a water boiler. That and a SnowPeak one litre pot is all the cooking gear I've needed. Then again, I hate freeze dried food so all I ever did with my MSR was boil coffee water.

Christophe Noel

Expedition Leader
There are a number of great dehydrated meals out there. Good to Go is currently the best, although very new and still building their selection of meals. The founder is one of the top chefs in the country and a celebrity in her own right where food is concerned.

cruisertoy

Explorer
I have 4 jetboils and Brunton jetboil knockoff. There's one in each of my families 72 hour kits. I've got he regular cups, the Sumo cup and the 1.5L cooking pot. Like has been said, I only use mine for boiling water. I've tried cooking chili or eggs or even meat in the different attachments but they are all too thin and don't distribute the heat from the small concentrated burner very well.

I do a lot of Freezer bag cooking as well as a ton of Freeze dried meals. One of the easiest things I do with Freezer bags is throw a package of Ramon in a 1 qt bag and put a cup or two of boiling water in it. Let is sit for 5 minutes and pour off what you don't want, add your seasonings and jerky and your done. You can do the same with Angel hair pasta and then mix it into a Mountain House meal to turn a 2 person into a 4 for cheap. I've used the Sumo cup with a Qt bag filled with Chili as a double boiler. When the Chili is warmed you can use the boiling water for your hot beverage of choice or use it with a bag of instant rice to go under the Chili. Use the 1 qt freezer bags for Instant potatoes, Stove top stuffing (you don't really need the butter). Yakisoba instant noodles at like Ramon on Steroids and you can find them on sale for under $.50 each from time to time. I love the efficiency of the Jetboil and have never had an issue with cold or altitude with fuel.

tincanExpress

Here is another good resource for dehydrated recipes.www.backpackingchef.com
I put the ingredients into a thermos then add water from my Jetboil, clean up and hike or drive for awhile longer . It ends up perfectly cooked when I'm ready to eat.

Johnainny

Observer
I cook in mine a lot while at work. Since it does a great job of boiling water I have cooked pasta and dehydrated tomatoe sauce. After the pasta has cooked I use some of the water to make the sauce. I have also made beef and vegetable soup with Ramen noodles but I did not use the little package that it comes with. It is a little more prep work of dehydrating at home but it makes a better meal Then others out there.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
FranklinDufresne