1995 Land Rover Discovery - Mild Mods

HarvAMG

SOLD

Up for sale is my 1995 Land Rover Discovery 1. This is my third D1 and probably my favorite. I have another D1 in my fleet and when it comes to grab the keys to drive, I always grab these. But alas, when it comes to buying a house, great toys like these must be moved on.

Specs:
  • 1995 3.9L with 148,xxx in Portofino red.
  • Automatic trans that shifts perfect. Doesn't clunk or bang in any gear or reserve.
  • Rare option spec of: Manual locks, manual seats, no sunroofs, has jumpseats, has garage door link.
  • Red paint that shines all day. Excellent paint for a 20 year old Land Rover. Almost zero marks. You can eat off this paint if you wanted.
  • The motor runs smooth. On startup you can hear each lifter just ticking away. My master Land Rover tech described this motor as ‘'one of the nicest running D1's I have ever driven. Far nicer than I would expect from a '95...''. This is from a guy who lives, eats, and sleeps Rovers.
  • Drives down the road at 80mph at ease. No shakes or noises.
  • Asking $2500
  • Located south of Pittsburgh, PA

Modifications:
  • Old Man Emu 3 inch lift.
  • ARB full steel front bumper. Excellent shape. No rust, no trail damage. Has the mounts for the front plate if you need it.
  • Steel headlight guards. Just resprayed a few months ago. Has the rear lower light guards as well.
  • Goodyear Wrangler 255/70/16 AT tires. These are rated for snow as well. Good tread left, probably a year or two more left in them. The front wheel has a wheel lock and I have the key as well. No road noise at all. Will rub on full-lock turning. But daily normal driving, no issues at all.
  • The frame was sprayed and is as solid as can be. They also did the strut mounts and the bottom of the doors. This really helps against rust.
  • D2 cuoholder
  • Aftermarket CD player with remote. Alpine speakers all around. Sounds excellent. Rear sub was disconnected.

Recent maintaince: (Less than 6 months ago)
  • When I bought the truck, it had a radiator leak on the very top row of fins. First thing I did was source a clean OEM radiator from a late D1 and take it to the best radiator shop in the area. They totally reworked it, painted it, and pressure tested it. I feel much better with the OEM radiator redone than a cheap ebay one.
  • New OEM fan clutch and clear coolant bottle.
  • New coolant hoses. The inner and out heater hoses and small stub hose on top of the valley pan are Britpart and the radiator to tstat hose is Gates. I checked all the rest of the hoses, if they were bad, I would have replaced them.
  • Fresh Rotella T oil and oversized oil filter 2k miles ago. Oil looks excellent.
  • New OEM antenna. This is a manual antenna truck which is nice if you want to take it off-road you can just push it down. This wasn't a fun job. I highly recommend the new owner not break this antenna off because it requires removal of the wheel, fender liner, and the glovebox. The radio reception is crystal clear now.
  • Recharged the A/C in September. Blows very cold now with no issues. I actually looked forward to driving this truck because of how nice the A/C is. Doesn't raise the coolant temp at all. Full blast on A/C and the coolant gauge will stay as steady as can be.
  • New OEM front tie-road end. Steering has some play in it when I bought it and traced it to that. All fixed.
  • Recently rebuilt the rear diff breather hose. The old one was caked full of mud and clogged. The new one is all new hose and rerouted to breathe nice and clear.
  • Installed a rebuilt OEM starter. The solenoid was dying on the original one so I replaced the whole unit.
  • Redid the ignition tumbler. The guy who sold it to me said the tumblers would stick and you had to giggle the key a little to turn the key to start it. Well that was fine until it started getting cold out. The final straw was me sitting at work one day for a half hour trying to get the key to turn. I said enough and took it to my Rover mechanic who took the tumbler out and redid the entire unit. It now turns over on first try, every try. It wasn't a cheap fix, but worth it.
  • Sprayed some lube down in the diff lock stick. It works perfectly in all modes. Light on the dash works and shows you are you engaged.
  • Has a new headliner. Doesn't sag at all. Looks new.

Things you should be aware of:
  • The rear head seeps coolant out. It runs down the block and usually lands on the exhaust and simply burns up. Some collects on the underside of the truck and some lands on the ground. If you park in the same spot every day, you'll see a spot. Every test I've done tells me that coolant isn't into the cylinders or the oil. Just did the full headgasket test two weeks ago and it passed fine. No puffing white smoke, no sweet smell. It's an external leak. This is pretty common on 3.9s when they reach a certain age.
  • The rear wheel arches have seen better days. Each side has a small hole. They could use a patch, but structurally they are fine. The main thing is that seatbelt mounts are solid and they are. The rear hatch floor has some rust under the carpet. The guy who owned it before me had a radiator leak for some time so his solution was to carry around a dozen milk jugs with water. Those jugs would leak and make the carpet and floor wet. Now that it's not longer soaking wet back there, the rust is pretty contained. It's solid to the touch, just looks nasty.
  • The driver side rear window pops off the regulator if you play with it too much. Not a huge deal as you can pop it back on no problem with just your hands. My solution is just not to touch it. All the other windows motors and regulators work perfect. None of the motors make noise or move slow.
  • The aftermarket fogs don't work. It might be bulbs or the wiring. I'm not sure. I never played with them.
  • Cruise doesn't work. I've never had a Disco that it did.
  • It spits a little oil on startup. A small drop or too. It doesn't spit or leak oil when it's running. I've never had to actually top off the oil that much. Maybe check it once every few weeks. The level always looks fine and doesn't move much on the dipstick.
  • Anti-lock light is on. For some guys, this is a plus.
  • Wheel is a little off center. Alignment is totally straight and true. Drives down the highway totally straight. Doesn't pull one way or another. Doesn't wear the tires oddly. I think this can be adjusted via the drag link.
  • Just a small thing, but when it's below freezing the light on the gas gauge comes on despite still being a bunch of gas in the tank. The fuel gauge functions 100%. It's just something I thought I'd note.
  • Dash is peeling up around the radio. Doesn't bother me. A couple screws will fix it.

Quick pics from September this year. I'll get some updated pics this Sunday hopefully. It looks exactly the same.

IMG_6054_zps2ea5dca0.jpg

IMG_6053_zps595b9205.jpg

IMG-20140809-00435_zpse37583d8.jpg

Last edited:

HarvAMG

Tied up in a meeting all day. Managed to snap some quick and dirty pictures before sunset. I'll snap some better ones tomorrow morning in natural light.

IMG_6182_zpskuvrv9qy.jpg

IMG_6178_zps5q2se2ao.jpg

IMG_6176_zpsezf1plb5.jpg

The bottom straps of the seat was blown out with I bought the truck and was blown completely wide open. I sewed the seat back up with 30lb test line and it holds me fine (200lb). The underside is rigged up to keep you from sinking in the seat. One more small piece to sew I havent got around to yet.

IMG_6179_zpsz1jfxdmk.jpg

Sealed frame

IMG_6175_zpsjiya9pkj.jpg

Rear doors. The seatbelt mounts are solid as can be.

IMG_6168_zpsmxzcoveb.jpg

IMG_6169_zpsaxjj8jsd.jpg

IMG_6171_zpsbamhmqjz.jpg

IMG_6172_zpspa9pdpus.jpg

IMG_6173_zpsjt2hhakj.jpg

IMG_6174_zpsfurjuwct.jpg

IMG_6183_zpsfopxmmqj.jpg

Rear cargo. Probably wouldn't haul 100lb sacks of cement back there. But for groceries and daily items, good to go.

IMG_6186_zpsbbcmxnls.jpg

IMG_6187_zpsk1ct6bqf.jpg

HarvAMG

Snagged some daylight pictures. Truck is still dirty, hasn't been washed yet from sitting outside all winter. Not happy with my camera.

IMG_6226_zpspyrpycr2.jpg

IMG_6223_zpslywb2ctz.jpg

IMG_6221_zpszcchn2al.jpg

IMG_6225_zpskn67bxqx.jpg

IMG_6222_zpspabdrdkx.jpg

IMG_6224_zpsobkvrtmk.jpg

IMG_6232_zpsstlggyox.jpg

IMG_6231_zpsxlbtaypf.jpg

IMG_6227_zps4vdplsxg.jpg

IMG_6228_zpswshypebb.jpg

IMG_6230_zpsruypddbp.jpg

IMG_6234_zpsyz4hbxas.jpg