Handheld CB?

lysol

Explorer
Resurrecting this thread but I'm leaning towards a handheld unit with an external antenna.

Have you decided what you want to get? I have the Cobra 75 WXST and it works great in my Wrangler. It's small and out of the way when the mic is mounted and when I'm not using it, I just unplug the mic and lock it up out of sight.

kb7our

Explorer
+1 on this. I've been using the exact same unit since 2007 and have seen no reason to "upgrade." Use it with a 12v power source and a mag mount antenna and it will work fine as a trail radio for communication with other vehicles. When we were on White Rim in 2012 I was at Potato Bottom and the guys on the other side of Hardscrabble hill at Labyrinth (~2 - 3 miles away across a big rock formation) could hear me just fine. As far as I'm concerned, 1 - 2 miles is as far as a CB needs to reach, anything beyond that and HAM is a better tool.

Quality unit (Midland 75-822) and VERY easy to use with the 12V plug - just add an external antenna for highly improved reception and you are ready to roll. Oh, and this route along the WRT is also highly recommended rim to rim.

JKU87

Adventurer
Have you decided what you want to get? I have the Cobra 75 WXST and it works great in my Wrangler. It's small and out of the way when the mic is mounted and when I'm not using it, I just unplug the mic and lock it up out of sight.

I haven't gotten anything yet but I know it'll be a handheld unit with an external antenna (Firestick). I just need to do a good job with the wiring because I stripped the carpet out of my JKU...

JKU87

Adventurer
Hooked up my handheld Midland and Firestik today. Tuned the antenna and got 1.2 on channel 1 and 40

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
jgrillz94