KLR650 or Versys 650? I am so torn

truthamedia

Help me out here please, I would like opinions from owners of one or both bikes. I am in the market for a new (yes new) dual purpose motorcycle. I am looking for something that will take me down gravel roads, through single track trails, etc, to get to remote camping spots and will be able to take me back. I am also looking for a commuter bike for the summer months up here in Anchorage. I've heard pros and cons of each bike.

If a Versys can get me there and back, I don't care what speed I have to go on the gravel roads and dirt tracks.
However,
If a KLR can't sustain a 500 mile road trip at 65 mph without totally destroying my body, I don't want it.

I am torn between a street legal bike that is more capable off road vs a road bike that is somewhat capable of going off road.

Any opinions??

I hope I am in the proper section for this. If not, sorry!

summerprophet

Adventurer
Tormented over the same question and researched both as well. The conclusion I came to is this:

If you ever think you might put it on its side, or possibly find yourself without both wheels on the ground, then go with the klr.

Scott Brady

Founder
These bikes are quite different, and Alaska is a very challenging environment. I would buy the KLR, as it will be so much more capable, was better range and a 21" front wheel. The Versys will be limited to maintained surfaces like gravel. We have a 2014 KLR, and it is surprising comfortable on the road with the new seat.

Last edited:

WU7X

Snow on the Roof
I think a KLR would serve your purposes much better than the Versys. Scott is right BTW, invest in a aftermarket seat for it. I'd suggest a Seat Concepts one.

sedat

Adventurer
"If a KLR can't sustain a 500 mile road trip at 65 mph without totally destroying my body, I don't want it. "

at that speed you're fine, its about 100 with no windshield is where it starts to suck!

Versys is going to have better roadmanners and be miles faster. klr is a simpler, more dirt oriented machine. Its no means a WR/Drz/Klx/etc, but it will do the job.

Scott Brady

Founder
I think a KLR would serve your purposes much better than the Versys. Scott is right BTW, invest in a aftermarket seat for it. I'd suggest a Seat Concepts one.

The 2014 model has a new seat from the factory with a better cushion and wider support. It is pretty good. The '14 model also has a much stiffer suspension, so it can take an overland load without needing suspension modifications. They did a nice job with the new bike. We are currently modifying one for a trip to Alaska.

Christophe Noel

Expedition Leader
I recently did a 1000 miles over mixed terrain in the Andes of Ecuador on a KLR. It did great. I'd blasted down the Pan Amerian Hwy at 75 no problem. It did great over countless miles of Andean cobbled roads and we encountered several really gnarly sections of mountain road. It even climbed over 14,000 feet almost daily with little complaint. There's no way the Versys would have done as well.

Christophe Noel

Expedition Leader
IMG_6134 - Version 2.jpg

On the route to 14,200 feet near the Colombian border. There's something simply honest and reassuring about a KLR. It kind of reminds me of a Jeep CJ-7. Simple. Not without some quirks, but reliable in its own way.

haven

Expedition Leader
"I recently did a 1000 miles over mixed terrain in the Andes of Ecuador..."

Christophe, we all want your job! (Even the main roads in the Andes of Ecuador should be considered 'mixed terrain'.)

Christophe Noel

Expedition Leader
"I recently did a 1000 miles over mixed terrain in the Andes of Ecuador..."

Christophe, we all want your job! (Even the main roads in the Andes of Ecuador should be considered 'mixed terrain'.)

You know, Ecuador is being paved so rapidly, we were actually deprived of some rough road as new roads were being built....literally in front of us. We got stopped on one high mountain road for about an hour while they cut a new section, one probably paved by now. It gave us time to sample some local moonshine with the foreman on the job. :)

IMG_6557_zpsgoirnf83.jpg

But, not to derail this thread as I love to do....

The tarmac we rode in Ecuador was absolutely stunning. They were gorgeous highways with twisty turns, fun scenery, they were great. We rode one section we dubbed the Isle of Man Highway as it was ripper fast. So, to have my KLR positively PINNED for a solid 30 miles was not only hilariously fun, it spoke to the possible performance of the KLR on the highway. I'm a thousand times more comfortable on pavement than I am in the dirt and I absolutely flogged that KLR and it was surprisingly fun. It's pretty impressive to take a bike with over 40,000 miles on it, ride it over 14,000 feet, pound it to pieces on roads covered in baby head sized rocks for miles, smash it into gaping holes on Incan paved cobbled roads, then lean it hard on beautiful tarmac. Then, motor through traffic in a congested South American city, split lanes on four lane highway.....What a great bike.

BritKLR

Kapitis Indagatoris
In 2003, while living in Kansas City, Mo. I bought a KLR. I've ridden that bike between Kansas City and Colorado, on both the interstate and backroads for years (650 miles one-way). I've done most of Colorado, New Mexico, Texas and Utah on that KLR and it's never let me down. I never trailered it and lived and camped off the bike for up to a week at a time. KLRs are not the fastest, most comfortable bike, but it's the Toyota of dual sports. You just know it'll get your there and back. I still have the 03 and I now live in Colorado and use it as my summer runabout. Good luck and be safe.

Attachments

• image.jpg
    image.jpg
    539.9 KB · Views: 15
  • image.jpg
    image.jpg
    533.5 KB · Views: 14

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Randy Towles