Roof racks on pop-ups

Camp JP

As I put together the final build list on my new Hallmark camper, I'd appreciate some feedback on roof racks. I was certain I was going to get the rear ladder and Yakima rails, but I'm having 2nd thoughts about how usable they are. My original plan was a set of Thule Hullavator's to put the Kayaks up there so I'd love to hear from anyone using that system.

But overall, how much do you use your roof racks?

I am going with solar so a big consideration is blocking that with a box, etc.

(I'm getting the power lift on the roof so raising it with a load is not a factor)

Thanks!

joelm

Roof Rack

I have an older Cuchara with the rear ladder and rack. I keep a folding 6' plastic table, folding 4.5' table and 2 lounger chairs on the rack all the time. Works great for me, would not want to be without it.

Regcabguy

Oil eater.
This is what I've used for 15 yrs for roof access;
http://www.campingworld.com/shopping/item/6-compact-folding-step-ladder/20318.
It folds into something resembling a 4x4 fencepost.
My TC850 has the side wings where I store my broom,shovel.rake,mat,axe etc. The ladder slides right in there.

My rack is a two pole setup that bridges the sides and sits on triangular mounts that can be more frequently seen on Coleman popup trailers. The mounts are fastened onto the top of the camper and secured with through bolts.. I'd think hallmark would be able to suggest something.

Regcabguy

Oil eater.
This is what I've used for 15 yrs for roof access;
http://www.campingworld.com/shopping/item/6-compact-folding-step-ladder/20318.
It folds into something resembling a 4x4 fencepost.
My TC850 has the side wings where I store my broom,shovel.rake,mat,axe etc. The ladder slides right in there.

My rack is a two pole setup that bridges the sides and sits on triangular mounts that can be more frequently seen on Coleman popup trailers. The mounts are fastened onto the top of the camper and secured with through bolts. I'd think Hallmark would be able to suggest something.

djmase

Adventurer
JP.
I too use my roof racks all the time. It's a fair consideration, especially depending on your lift mechanism and if it has any supports. The question does have two parts. 1. Do I need/want it and can my roof support it and be opened when loaded up. 2. Can I access it.
If you have access ironed out and if you can walk around up there to get into your stuff, item 2 is solved.
If you have a good mech for lifting a heavy roof OR if you plan to use it for light weight/bulky items, then I'd say go for it.
I move surfboards on mine all the time and it is a life saver. I had a rocket box up there for a bit, but it was too heavy and I felt like I was over taxing my lift mechanics.

mkish

Adventurer
We have a factory installed "boat rack" on our Northstar TC800. I don't know what they were thinking--it's 2 crossbars 6 ft. apart positioned towards the rear. Probably good for a little jonboat but I dunno. We carry a 19 ft. canoe up there and need (or think we need) an extra cross bar toward the front. We don't have a power lift but can still crank it easily with the 50 lb. boat up there. If we were willing to unload before popping up, we could load a lot more up there. A Yakima-type system would be much better as they're so flexible and we still might end up getting one--we can't attach a cargo box or basket to our crossbars because they're too far apart.

Even when we don't bring the canoe, it's nice to have a ladder to hang wet stuff on at the camp site. Think about if you'll want to attach things back there before you settle on a ladder though.

1stDeuce

Explorer
I don't have a rack on mine, and I don't have a ladder either. Climbing up the truck and onto the camper sucks. Get the ladder. :)

If you think you'll actually carry kayaks, you'll need something up there... But solar panels don't work if you shadow even just a small portion of them, so plan to put the panels where they won't get shadowed by the rack, and know that you'll have to take the kayaks off during the day for the panels to do anything.

And note that even with the roof down, it's still a LONG way off the ground! :)

I use the older yakima "hulley rollers" at the back of my topper, and traditional kayak saddles at the front. Makes pushing up the kayak easier, but still does a good job of holding it in place.

brianjwilson

Some sort of lost...
Have them install full length Yakima tracks. You can add your racks later and position them however you want, and only install them when needed so as to not block the solar panels.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
FranklinDufresne