Just me and the dogs on the roads of NM and CO

Sleam

Explorer
Hello, I thought I'd share the last big trip I took with three dogs, a 95 4Runner and some basic camping gear. I'd been wanting a 4Runner for a while and just got this beast, "Fiona" a month before. She had new brakes, good engine, old tires (oops) and enough room for the four of us. I was ready to hit the road and go back to the San Juan Mtns after a few years away.
I threw in a tent, a camp stove, a cooler, folding chair, change of clothes, bedding and a can of dog food and leashes. Not much else. Oh, a camera and some maps.
The first stop was a whopping 6 miles from home to let the dogs out! They'd been camped out for hours in the truck while I packed, no one wanted to be left at home so I knew they all needed a quick stop before we carried on. I drank coffee. They did the rounds of the cottonwood trees, drank some water and settled back down.

DSC01676.jpg

DSC01677.jpg

Sleam

Explorer
We headed up Highway 14 towards Santa Fe then through onto Hwy 84/285 upto Espanola. Thats the first part of the journey that I dislike, it's wide busy slow and mostly ugly for a while but then we turned off at Espanola and took Hwy 84 to Abiqui Reservoir. There's a store in Abiqui that's great, locals and tourists and road trippers all stop there for gas, household goods and the best burritos for miles. I filled up, got coffee, ice for the cooler and a burrito. The dogs stuck their heads out the window and we carried on with Rosie claiming the front seat.

DSC01741.jpg

Sleam

Explorer
Just after Abiqui Reservoir, we took a left on a National Forest road to the Rio Chama campgrounds. Free and primitive campsites next to the river. On a weekday, the whole place was empty and so I let the dogs run, swim and be free. We explored the river until Harold, the oldest dog, an Akita/ Collie mix got spooked and he wouldn't let us go any further so we walked back. I swam and cooled off before settling us in and making food.
Beautiful place.

Sleam

Explorer
Some photos of the Rio Chama for you. The road was a well graded forest road but had warnings that in the monsoon season would be impassable for most regular vehicles. Good to know for where you set up camp too. There is a campsite with tables and firepits and vault toilets, but you can also simply camp near the river at other places too.

2014-09-02 00.36.27.jpg

2014-09-02 01.19.39.jpg

2014-09-02 01.15.35.jpg

Sleam

Explorer
We then headed up north with the goal of finding a lake near Pagosa Springs. I followed a very well maintained and obviously well used NF road to William's Creek reservoir. I timed it well though, not as busy as it can be mid-summer. It was primitive but costly. The views though made it one of my favourite places to stay. We ended up hanging out here a while.

For some reason, it won't let me upload any more photos. I'll be back with some later when I get better wifi - sorry.

Sleam

Explorer
2014-09-02 04.13.18.jpg

Heading north on Hwy 84 into Colorado, then we turned left and stopped in Pagosa to fill up and grab supplies (beer and dog treats) then off Hwy 160 we took a NF road north into the San Juans.

2014-09-02 06.51.29.jpg

2014-09-02 19.41.16.jpg

2014-09-02 19.38.46.jpg

Sleam

Explorer
In the morning, the heat of the sun warming the lake made for the most mesmerising cup of coffee I'd ever enjoyed. The empty campsite once again meant the dogs were free to run, swim and explore off leash.

2014-09-02 21.29.16.jpg

2014-09-03 20.51.29.jpg

Wilbah

Adventurer
Looks like a great trip! Wouldn't you like to know what spooked your dog? Was it something real or just a doggy boogie man? :) gotta love a dog's intuition some times. Thanks for sharing.

Sleam

Explorer
Looks like a great trip! Wouldn't you like to know what spooked your dog? Was it something real or just a doggy boogie man? :) gotta love a dog's intuition some times. Thanks for sharing.
I don't know what it was, but oh boy, Harold would not let me past!

While at the campsite next to the lake, we took some time exploring further up in the mountains, more NF roads. I found a few dispersed camp spots near a meadow that I'll go back to in May hopefully.Great up there, huge mountains, long views, tall trees and only a few vehicles! My kind of place.

2014-09-02 22.41.39.jpg

2014-09-02 22.56.51.jpg

2014-09-02 22.57.20.jpg

2014-09-02 22.57.38.jpg

Sleam

Explorer
I did pull myself away from the lake to drive 19 miles to go into Pagosa Springs. The local brewery with the huge outside patio was very dog friendly, bringing the pups water and treats, checking on us, and various locals came over to chat and be introduced. A great afternoon with beer, pizza and new people to hang out with.

2014-09-03 03.04.18.jpg

Sleam

Explorer
Last morning before heading out, we sat and relaxed with coffee and a hike around the lake. I read that in summer this is a very busy place for fishing, locals and RVs to stay long term, esp weekends. I'm glad we came after Labour Day and had only a few people around. I'd stay in the mountains next time I think because I like the solitude more than company. Although I am scared of bears.

2014-09-02 19.05.34.jpg

2014-09-03 20.52.51.jpg

Sleam

Explorer
Onwards and literally upwards. We backtracked through Pagosa and headed to Wolf Creek Pass. I didn't know how the 4Runner would do but we made it. An old 3.0 V6 engine is slow and steady. I'm okay with that.

2014-09-03 23.12.39.jpg

Sleam

Explorer
Thanks guys, yes, I was lucky!

Onwards, we drove up Hwy 160 North to South Fork and took Hwy 149. A long empty winding road this is, up though mountain passes, small towns, lots of amazing views from on high, and then into Creede. I stopped a lot and hiked the NF roads with the dogs, picnics, photos, coffee breaks all day long. There was some construction on one narrow mountain pass but other than that, easy slow driving day.

2014-09-02 02.13.25.jpg

2014-09-04 00.13.27.jpg

2014-09-04 01.15.13.jpg

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
jgrillz94