Just me and the dogs on the roads of NM and CO

DiabloBlanco

Great trip. I too love the slower, unscheduled, way to travel. Away from the busy, commercialized campgrounds.
Thank you for sharing! Great photos.

Thanks for your trip report, you showed me an area of Colorado (Pagosa Springs to Creede) that I have not explored yet. It is on my list for this Summer.

seeNik48

Adventurer
I enjoyed your TR because we also travel with 2 dogs, a big standard poodle and slightly smaller pudelpointer both from Craigslist. They love to play together and are seldom apart. They fit in the backseat of the extended cab and sleep with us in the camper's bed. Your set up is way more cozy but it looks like you all fit. We usually have them on a leash in bear, snake and cougar country. Also in required places like parks. Otherwise, we have found a few places we let them run like Lunar Crater lake bed, csmping area by Factory Butte, any alkaline lake where we can see them. They come to a whistle and I give them treats. You are right in that they do make the trip interesting and make for frequent stops. We usually always take the backroads so don't have to rely on free way rest stops. We just stop where there is an interesting side road or a big pullout.

I hope you post more TRs as you have a way with words and I like your way of exploring.

Last edited:

Sleam

Explorer
Thanks everyone! I'll post more as I do them thats for sure. The next one will be short, taking the back roads to the Overland Expo in the old Land Rover, a whole other kind of driving experience! It's small and slow and well, loud! I'll let you know how it goes okay? Much appreciate all the great feedback for my first trip report on here. Take care,
Sleam

unkamonkey

Explorer
Dogs like road trips, usually. Early '70's my parents had a Dachshund and I had a Black Lab. So off I went to college. My mother complained all of the time about how much of her time was spent letting dogs in and out of the house and cleaning the carpet. It took several weeks for me to be able to talk her into letting me bring my dog up here for a weekend. Samanthas favorite toy was an old radiator hose so it came up here too.
OK, a few years later the Lab died on Christmas eve, the Dachsund died on New Years eve of the same year. My mother declared that there would be no more dogs.
A few years later, they were in Santa Fe and found a male Dachsund running free. Calls to the vets number on the rabies tag got them nowhere so the dog went with them back to Denver.
Finally they got an answer from the vet and learned that the dogs companian had just moved to Santa Fe so off they went to take Peanut back to it's human friend.
For all of her complaining I think she really did like dogs. For me, I just walk across the street, 5 dogs to play with.

tanglefoot

ExPoseur
If I may say so, you're such an inspiration! I really need to get past the butterflies and just pack up and go. The old LR really completes the image, by the way, but I imagine the 2nd-gen is more comfortable.

It's interesting how dogs feel in different spaces. None of ours have ever been very comfortable in a tent either. That makes for very restless sleeping. They seem very at-home in the little truck camper though, even Maya, the very nervous shepherd mix.

P1020849.JPG

We just drove through NM, AZ and UT but never left the interstate. I feel like I missed everything. That's really no way to travel.

I was going to suggest one of the tents that attaches to the rear of the vehicle for some extra stretch-out room but haven't been able to find one for a tailgate. They all seem to attach to liftgates.

Thanks for the trip report.

Sleam

Explorer
That's a good idea about the SUV tents. Maybe I'll see what I can find. And thanks for the complements!

RubiChris

Observer
Great report. You visited some areas that I've been wanting to go to. Now I just have to grab the wife and dog and do it!!

EricG

Explorer
I lived in ABQ for a while and camped on the river at Rio Chama just below the monastery my 2nd favorite place to camp.

Sleam

Explorer
Things To Know During Camping With Your Pet In Southern California RV Parks
https://campingsoutherncalifornia.w...camping-with-your-pet-in-southern-california/
When we talk about the most lively place of Southern California, Los Angeles then it has more than 70 miles of coastline, but dogs are not allowed on the beach. They are being increasingly banned from beaches, due to poor etiquette of pets' owners.

Thats a shame but thanks for letting me know. I'd love to take an extended trip with the dogs up the coast. I'll look at the link. Anyone else got info on traveling with the dogs and camping out west? I'd like NF and BLM info specifically. Thanks everyone for all the great feedback, you're very inspiring to do more.
S

stanw909

I enjoyed reading your trip report. You mentioned fear of bears and Harold stopping you from traveling down a trail. Mountain lions may also be an issue. I recommend bear spray and if you can't afford it then wasp spray is a possible stop gap. Good for 2 legged critters as well as 4 legged. I also understand that bigfoots may frequent areas you travel to but I wouldn't recommend spraying them. It would only make them mad.:) .

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Randy Towles