How do you torque your nuts????

Aussie Iron

Explorer
I,m a water pipe user ( Calibrated of course ) and never had a problem in all the years I've been driving trucks and the like. Can't see I'm changing to a tension wrench, but yes you need to keep an eye on them. More so when traveling on rougher roads and offroad. I also don't have a problem if you want to use a tension wrench as I believe you do what you are comfortable with.

Dan.

nick disjunkt

Adventurer
I got a big 3/4 inch sykes pickavant torque wrench off ebay for about £70 a few years back. It goes up to 1015 Nm so plenty for most lug nuts. It's the type that breaks in the middle when you get tot the specified torque. Do similar deals not crop up elsewhere in the world?

I also carry a modular breaker bar which starts as a simple L brace, and you keep adding lengths onto it until it is as long as you need. The lengths are 57cm long and are made out of solid circular bar stock 3cm diameter. Two 57cm lengths, plus the 21cm of the L-brace was plenty to loosen the nuts on my truck after a Mexican tyre shop rattled them on with the biggest gun I'd ever seen.

pugslyyy

Expedition Vehicle Engineer Guy
I probably never would have bought the big expensive torque wrench if I hadn't had such a bad experience with over-torqued lugs on the truck when I bought it. It cost me literally thousands of dollars to fix - so I am now a bit gun-shy.

SkiFreak

Crazy Person
I do not think that there would be too many people arguing that using a rattle gun to do up the nuts on these trucks is a good idea.
The challenge, as has been highlighted numerous times, is to convince a tyre shop to use a torque wrench or to do the nuts up manually. Normally, they just do not want to do that.

I have to say, the stud issues that pugslyyy detailed about his truck were a definite catalyst to me forking out the big bucks and getting my own torque wrench.
I have made and calibrated torque wrenches in my younger days, so I agree that a fixed length piece of bar and a known weight can achieve very similar results to using a torque wrench. If you have both then it it is relatively easy to torque the nut up and mark its tightened position. Then, undo the nut and retighten it using the 4 foot bar to the same mark. If you have a good "feel" for using tools you can use this to get a good tension on the nuts. After all, the specifications give a fair range between the upper and lower torque limits. The biggest challenge, as I see it, when using a 4 foot bar is to tighten the nuts evenly, as having the nuts at different levels of tightness is not ideal.

I'd argue that a 4 foot length of bar probably has more practical uses in an expedition environment than a torque wrench too, making it a very viable contender for something to be carried on the truck.

The prime reason I bought my torque wrench was so that I could be confident that when doing my own tyre rotations that the nuts were done up correctly to the the OEM specifications. Will I carry the torque wrench on my truck when traveling? Probably not, unless it is going to be an extended duration trip. As I said, I think that a 4 foot length of bar/pipe has more practical uses, so that is what I am more likely to have with me.

pugslyyy

I think that for most people a decent hand torque would be fine. The shop that I use to mount/balance my wheels is very good (they use a torque wrench and dial it down to the right setting for me) - but there are a lot of folks out there that just don't care.

The big thing is you can't let someone you don't know/trust do a service unseen.

Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk

Aussie Iron

Explorer
I think that for most people a decent hand torque would be fine. The shop that I use to mount/balance my wheels is very good (they use a torque wrench and dial it down to the right setting for me) - but there are a lot of folks out there that just don't care.

The big thing is you can't let someone you don't know/trust do a service unseen.

Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk

That's why I mount, balance and fit my own wheels that way I have only me to blame if it's not done right. You can't trust some tyre fitters out there, I found that out when the wife had a flat on our Landcruiser and took it to get repaired. They ended up bending the lock ring and wanted to charge for a new one. Lucky my wife is not that silly and let them know that they don't just bend so it was supplied for free.

Dan.

pugslyyy

How do you balance your tyres?

We found a place that spin balances truck tires (they also retread tires) that really do a nice job - and they use a torque wrench.

It took some searching - a lot of truck tires don't get balanced at all (and often an automotive tire changer can't handle the big wheels on their equipment)

Aussie Iron

Explorer
How do you balance your tyres?

On my Cruiser I use an old static wheel balancer and lead weights. On my Canter I use stainless balance beads in the tyres and am having a real good run with them (and yes I do air down and up regularly). Use the same in the front Semi tyres.

Dan.

mog

Kodiak Buckaroo
So when I got back to the internet- I looked up torque wrenches to that scale: $300-1000 with most made in China. Everyone buying a $300 to 1000 to set the proper torque on their FG's? How much fun is that with the rears? Any emergency hernia cases?
So how are you setting the proper torque?
Mark
A proper torque wrench is worth the money.
I bought mine for about $100 off eBay, polished the hazed-over plastic dial cover with some toothpaste and cigarette ash, check the calibration via work and was good to go.
Have you seen this thread, there is lots and lots of good information there
Those hard to undo wheel nuts!

My posts in that thread:
01/16/14
Since I was doing some wheel work yesterday I thought I would post 'what works for me'.
I have super singles now so I run just nuts, no Budd studs, but I still carry that setup (the 21mm square Budd) in case I come across a fellow Fusonite that needs help. Also I carry my Budd studs as spare lug nuts.
I used the combination wrench (41mm hex / 21mm Budd) to take the nuts off and run them down prior torqueing. Instead of buying the 'normal' 2 foot hex bar, I bought a 3 foot crowbar and cut the curved end off. So I got 50% more length for 50% less $$.
-
Normally there is no issue getting the lugnuts off as I lube the nuts (both threads and face)... not per the manual, but it works for me and I check for loosening via torque strips. But I do have an adjustable jackstand that can support the wrench/extension if extra force is needed.
Torqueing is done with a 600 ft-lb range four foot long (takes down to two foot) torque wrench using a Snap-on 41mm socket. I like this socket a lot, as it is 4 inches long so it can be used on the front without the need for an extension (rear requires an 6-8 inch extension)
-
To allow me to use the combination wrench with my torque wrench I made two adapters. To use the 41mm end, the torque wrench (3/4" drive) goes in 21mm end using a 'L' shim made from a 1"x1"x.0125" square tubing the was cut in half on the diagonal to make an equal length 'L'. This was sanded to size to make a tight fit for the 3/4" drive in the 21mm end. To use the Budd end, I machined a 3/4" to 1" adapter to fit inside one of the 'old' rear lugnuts and welded it in place (see photo).
-
Normal set-up
Fuso-lug1.jpg
-
'Budd' set-up (click to enlarge)
Fuso-lug2.jpg

-
(red/white striping is so they are not 'misplaced' in the dirt/sand)

11/25/14 #1
Being a mechanic my whole life, I do agree with using the 'armstrong' torque wrench (feels right) BUT the higher the torque, the larger error/feel can be. It is one thing torquing a 80 in-lb bolt and being off 10%, so say 8 in-lb off and miss-torquing 350 ft-lb off with probably a 20% percent error. For our 'arm' to get the feel of the correct torque we have to torque to that target values a lot. I don't know about you, but nothing I deal with (other then helicopter stuff), does not go that high, so not a lot of muscle memory there. And the helios I used to work on have the Jesus Nuts torqued to 4,500 ft-lbs (yes 45 with two zeros), so not done without a multiplier.

I personally don't see the whole hullabaloo over these lug nuts once they are torqued correctly. If the truck started off mis-torqued then that can be a real pain, both getting them off and possible damage, but once they are torqued correctly, they are not out of the ordinary.

Heck, I bought a used 600 ft-lb torque wrench off eBay for $100.00 (I checked the calibration via work). I probaly spent that much on sockets and extensions, so it was not some killer cost factor. It is a great piece of mind knowing they are at the correct torque and not at some guess (I've worked in aviation my whole life, so 'guessing' is not allowed in regards to torque, at least at work).

The tire shop I use and think highly of does not even have a torque wrench that goes into the Fuso range, while they always torque 'normal' lug nuts because of the liability if they don't. I guess if you drive a Fuso, you are expendable. And of course bring your own torque wrench to the tire shop is kind of like bring that custom made 2 piece pool cue to the pool hall.....

11/25/14 #2
The FE/FG manual states 'dry', while the FH & FM manual states 'lubed'
I lube mine (as per the FH/FM manual) since I think the rust and corrosion is a big problem with these lugnuts being hard to remove.
I reduce my target torque by 8% to compensate for the lubing. I also torques-strip my nuts so I can see if they are loosing, which they have not.
I'd rather visual check my lugnuts then have them un-removeable on the side of the road somewhere.

Last edited:

yabanja

Explorer
I use a 78-1 Cheap torque multiplier for loosening and tightening. (although shortly I will have onboard air for impact wrenches.) I bought a used proto 3/4 torque wrench with current certification on eBay for $150. Works great! Make sure you get one that is reversible though!!

Allan

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
jgrillz94