Searching for a mid-size DD for girlfriend

4x4junkie

Explorer
We had considered explorers but the problem is in availability in our price range. I realize that I'm asking a lot, but we're trying to keep our initial budget at around $2000. We've seen a few possibilities, but mostly they include lines like "not sure whats wrong" and "needs new transmission".

That's a bit surprising... I guess I haven't looked in awhile, but not that long ago (a few years maybe) I recall Explorers in decent shape being quite plentiful within the $1500-3000 range. :confused:

I'd still take a look at the "not sure what's wrong" and the "needs new trans" ones. You never know what you might find... Most issues (maybe except a blown auto needing a rebuild) are pretty easy fixes on these trucks (and even still, a malfunctioning trans could potentially be just a sensor or solenoid or something).
A stickshift would eliminate a lot of worries though if she's able to drive one (somewhat common in 2-door models, but relatively rare in 4-door ones).
The OHV 4.0L V6 engines are very solid motors that will go 300K+ easy if maintained.

Cherokees IME seem to be somewhat of gas hogs compared to any of the Fords, but otherwise are good, if not quite as refined, choices.

sdwhip

Observer
T-Case should be a NP231 on an XJ. I bet you could find one cheap enough. I had a 99 XJ for a few years and it never gave me any problems despite the poor maintenance schedule I had it on and I still see it running around every once and while. Drove back and forth from Texas to the East coast a few times and even with 6.5 inch lift and 33" BFG ATs it could get up to 22 MPG on the highway. It was a 5 spd manual and still had decent enough power after the lift and tires. Very simple to work on and a pretty solid drivetrain for up to 33 inch tires.

jaxyaks

Adventurer
Too bad your not near me, you can find Cherokees that are daily drivers for 1500. That is a bit high with a transfer case rebuild off the bat. But I agree an xJ cherokee would be a good pick. I almost always recommend an xj for anyone that wants a reliable driver in that price range. The one piece of advice on the XJ and YJs for that matter is they can have sensor/ electrical gremlins, so look there first when an issue comes up, 95 percent of the time it's a silly sensor or something.

Now if you didn't mind wrenching on an easy to maintain fun vehicle a CJ comes to mind....

surlydiesel

Adventurer
I'd be looking for a Jeep Grand Cherokee or Reg Cherokee. There are plenty of soccer mom jeeps out there that just have a dead battery sitting in a driveway. Look for Jeeps parked in side yards and offer 1000 bucks.

That's what I'd be doing. I loved my little Cherokee and our current Grand does it's job great. Terrific in the snow and silly easy to fix most problems.

-jorge

underdrive

jackwagon
Well, my girlfriend has fallen in love with my full sized bronco and wants to get a comparable vehicle for herself. We've been mainly looking at Rangers and Bronco II's, but I was wondering what else would be good for her. I'm very familiar with Ford trucks/SUVs so that is what we were aiming for, but I'm also open to other makes and models provided they fit the following criteria.
I'd suggest continuing to look for a Bronco II - mechanically it's very similar to your fullsize Bronco only obviously scaled down some, electrically it's darn near identical. With a 5-speed behind the fuel-injected 2.9 V6 your better half will be enjoying 20+ mpg day in and day out. While not as powerful as the Explorer and it's 4.0, the Bronco II is also lighter and smaller and thus easier to park in urban environments and more offroad-capable. If you can find a '90 model that will have the stronger D35 front axle, same as what the Explorers got.

Explorers can also be good, just as long as the transmission is a manual. The autos were also decent when they were new, but by now they are ticking time-bombs. The 4.0 on the other hand will run nearly forever with very little maintenance. But you said those trucks are expensive in your area, hence why my first suggestion was be the Bronco II. Don't rule out traveling somewhat longer distance (100-200 miles) for a good one, you may be money ahead in the long run.

Or, if she's not dead-set on a SUV, just go with a Ranger. Watch the frame though, they can rust pretty bad.

truck mechanic

Adventurer
I had a zr2 blazer a few years ago, ( gave it to my godson) was drop dead reliable, and easy to fix. Im more of a ford guy, but it was a good truck.

4xchinook4

Observer
I get the fact that your, well rounded on ford. But a toyota is as reliable as I'll get out, and STUPID SIMPLE to fix and work on, and cheap as a mug! And parts are everywhere. And with that 15 -20 mpg? That's on a bad day, haha (4 banger)

Let me just put it this way, when I bought my toyota, (1980 to be exact) I didn't know the difference between a carburetor, alternator, and radiator. Seriously..... now I bet you I could rebuild that motor in field just cuz. This is a 20r, motor offered from the 70's to 81' . Then the 22r carbed through the rest of the 80's . With the fuel injected 22r model(named 22re) offered in 85 through 94 95ish.
Plus they All had timing chains. Stout! They were offered in the toyota pickup s and 4runners when they came on the seen in 85.

You could ask anyone. >they're bullet proof, they are what put toyota on the map.

And if your intersted, ask me about the toyota landcruisers. 40 and 60 models. These had the 2f motor, in line 6. Also offer with fuel injection on the late 60 model. (That's 60 ad in "landcruiser 60 model" not the year 60 ) ;)

Trust me bro.

4xchinook4

Observer
The 22re motor was your first response to the original post, honestly suprised it didn't get more publicity . 👍

4x4junkie

Explorer
I get the fact that your, well rounded on ford. But a toyota is as reliable as I'll get out, and STUPID SIMPLE to fix and work on, and cheap as a mug! And parts are everywhere. And with that 15 -20 mpg? That's on a bad day, haha (4 banger)

I wouldn't be so sure about all of that...

What you say may have been true in the early '80s (like the model you mention), however things are very different when comparing vehicles from roughly 1990 or so forward...

I can't fathom how many feet (miles?) of vacuum tubing and vacuum solenoids are under the hood of the '89 Toyota pickup here in the family that I've done work on a number of times... It's needed a starter, water pump, PS pump, relays & solenoids and other crap just like so many other vehicles it's age do (possibly an alternator too, though that wasn't something I replaced myself). The '94 Ranger I have OTOH actually still has it's OE starter, water & PS pumps, though it has needed some A/C service which the Toyota hasn't. Toyota's durability offroad is nothing to write home about either. I've forgotten how many times I rescued friends who broke something in the front or rear ends (front usually) and/or had something in the engine or wiring take a dump. More recent times have been plagued by massive recalls for rusted frames and other crap that seems like the result of gross oversight at the company.
At the very best, it's six & one-half-dozen of the other, however given all what I've had to deal with myself I don't think it's even that... I certainly would never own one.

Just my 2¢

4xchinook4

Observer
I wouldn't be so sure about all of that...

What you say may have been true in the early '80s (like the model you mention), however things are very different when comparing vehicles from roughly 1990 or so forward...

I can't fathom how many feet (miles?) of vacuum tubing and vacuum solenoids are under the hood of the '89 Toyota pickup here in the family that I've done work on a number of times... It's needed a starter, water pump, PS pump, relays & solenoids and other crap just like so many other vehicles it's age do (possibly an alternator too, though that wasn't something I replaced myself). The '94 Ranger I have OTOH actually still has it's OE starter, water & PS pumps, though it has needed some A/C service which the Toyota hasn't. Toyota's durability offroad is nothing to write home about either. I've forgotten how many times I rescued friends who broke something in the front or rear ends (front usually) and/or had something in the engine or wiring take a dump. More recent times have been plagued by massive recalls for rusted frames and other crap that seems like the result of gross oversight at the company.
At the very best, it's six & one-half-dozen of the other, however given all what I've had to deal with myself I don't think it's even that... I certainly would never own one.

Just my 2¢
Haha ouch... just kidding bro. I've had similar experiences with other makes, won't mention, but amercan, to each his own. No harm done or ment. ?

AFBronco235

Crew Chief
This won't be a hard core, off roading rig. More along the lines of a 4WD grocery getter that will get her around and let her follow if we leave pavement. She won't be taking this rig mudding or trial riding. The thing is, what I don't like about Toyota pickups of any kind is how they often look completely rebuilt with little to no stock parts on them to make them reliable and durable. My Bronco is mostly stock and it can go just about anywhere you can take a slight modified jeep.

Vacuum lines aren't an issue for me. I've replaced all the ones on my bronco within the first few months I owned it. Other than that, the only mods the engine has are a remote oil filter to make oil changes easier, and a 3G alternator. Other than that, its factory stock. I do want to regear it so I get better MPGs, but have no other plans to modify it further.

I've thought about the smaller Suzuki rigs too. My gf likes the look and size, but are they any good reliability wise or am I better off with something a bit bigger?

4x4junkie

Explorer
Haha ouch... just kidding bro. I've had similar experiences with other makes, won't mention, but amercan, to each his own. No harm done or ment. ?

No prob man. :cool: Like I said, it's probably 6-&-½-dozen-the-other (Fords have their share of problems too... all makes do). It's just this big curiosity of mine that selling prices for Toyota vehicles in particular are so much higher than those of similar vehicles simply because people believe they have ungodly reliability when that clearly hasn't been my observation at all.

4xchinook4

Observer
No prob man. :cool: Like I said, it's probably 6-&-½-dozen-the-other (Fords have their share of problems too... all makes do). It's just this big curiosity of mine that selling prices for Toyota vehicles in particular are so much higher than those of similar vehicles simply because people believe they have ungodly reliability when that clearly hasn't been my observation at all.
Just out of curiosity, I have your experiences been with 3. O Liter,, or the 22re? the 3.0 v6 was a whack job. I would never challenge that. the worst motor Toyota ever put out. but I would stick to my guns on the 4 cylinder . I have buddies of mine just shy of 300,000 miles, with nothing but the routine maintainence.

leelikesbikes

Adventurer
ive had 4 different toyota trucks and i would agree with the 22r and re being great, but the newer stuff ive been disappointed with. the 3.0 is a huge turd, the 2.7 has some known issues, i had a tacoma with the 3.4 and it was pretty good reliability, but the mileage was lacking compared to the older stuff and the sheetmetal and interiors gets thinner and crappier every generation imo. my sas'd 87 4runner was the best toyota i ever had, i beat the hell out of that thing and it had 250k on it when i sold it and never a problem or a rattle. my taco had half the miles and was a rattly tin can. the old stuff is definitely more bulletproof.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
ritabooke