Backwards Transmission Swap

docdave

Aspiring overlander
I know most people are looking to change from an automatic to a manual transmission if they are considering a swap.... but I'm interested in the reverse. Does anyone have any insight on substituting an automatic for a 5 speed in a 2004 Dodge ram. I've got a pretty good truck, but the manual tranny is reducing it's utility for us. My wife isn't very enthusiastic about driving it, and worries that she wouldn't be able to manage it to get out of the back county if something happened that prevented me from driving. Also, with the camper loaded, it seems that I have to shift a lot to maintain speed. I didn't have that happen as much with an automatic. We're not hard core, mostly mild roads with the occasional fire trail, so rock crawling isn't really in the cards. I've considered trading, but finding a good used long bed gasser is like hunting for unicorns.

truck.jpg

IdaSHO

IDACAMPER
From my experience with everything FORD...
I will most likely come down to harness and computer.

If the 5-speed trucks use the same harness as the automatics, then you are in luck.
All of the harness plugs needed for the auto will be there, currently unused.

Then comes the computer. You probably need one that came with a factory built auto truck.

plainjaneFJC

Deplorable
9 times out of 10 you will be able to trade for the truck you want cheaper than you can shoehorn a new tranny in. Its kinda like guys that buy 2wd then decide they want 4wd. Plenty of used trucks out there.

chaos616

Adventurer
Yeah, anything is possible with enough time and money. The other option is to leave your tune like it is and get an automatic that is manual valve body, in other words one that is completely self sufficient with no computer input. It would have to be from and older truck or at least a tranny capable of all manual shifting. It will probably have drawbacks though, like harder shifting until it warms up and maybe not completely correct or at least off shift points, usually adjustable.

Issues I can think of:
-transmission that can handle manual shifting with no computer input, or as mentioned above the correct transmission if you have the wiring harness available. (I swapped to a manual and i can tell you that all the connectors in my GMC (2007 sierra) for the manual are NOT there, i had to fudge a lot of stuff to get it to work proper.

-transmission/engine bolt pattern

-bolt up for flex plate, input shaft length and torque converter bolt patter (easy to get custom TQ for $$$)

-transmission-transfer case adapter or new t-case

-driveline lengths modified

-Steering colum switch (along with wiring that goes along for start cutoff and gear slection), also a switch for the instrument panel for gear selction display.
-and/or-
-ground out clutch cutoff switch and use a floor auto shifter in place.

Call up some custom transmission places, ATS comes to mind although there are many many others that people i'm sure will bring to the table and see what they say.

FInally, what Scott C said above is more than likely true sadly, although if your thrifty and do your research you may be able to pull it off for a good price with a clean install, a good start would be a wrecked truck of your year and model with the automatic.

Last edited:

Herbie

Rendezvous Conspirator
9 times out of 10 you will be able to trade for the truck you want cheaper than you can shoehorn a new tranny in. Its kinda like guys that buy 2wd then decide they want 4wd. Plenty of used trucks out there.

Sadly, I came to say the same thing. Unless your preferred configuration was not actually available or is exceedingly rare (like a manual transmission in an Astro van), it's nearly ALWAYS cheaper and easier from a service/maintenance perspective to swap the truck instead.

Binksman

Observer
I'd suggest posting on Pirate4x4 in the Tow Rig Section. Your Hemi/manual combo is a unicorn in itself and I imagine there's quite a few folks with auto's wishing they could swap their auto for a manual. See if you can find someone local and the two of you can meet and swap things over. I did something similiar about 10 years ago with a Dodge Dakota, and wanted to do it a few years ago while I had an automatic Dodge...

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Rinzlerz