Has anyone ever lifted....

TwinStick

Explorer
or had the manufacturer lift a reg, small hardsided travel trailer ? If so, & they did the spring under axle lift, how much lift did it actually give you ? I know they are not designed for hard-core off roading & i don't plan to do that. What i want is one that sits about 10-12" taller, so we can get just a little off the beaten path.

I am currently waiting for a reply from Winnebago Ind on lifting an 1801FB. I have been in contact & e-mailing them for a month with no answer yet. https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=HoDvyCj_xsc I realize this is not the norm on this site, but this is what we are thinking at this point. Would like to be able to go down rutted dirt roads with it without ripping the plumbing off of it. I know it can be done (my father-in-law had it done to his 2004-the Mfg place did it for him, it was NOT a Winnebago).

Any input, good or bad is welcomed. Tow vehicle is a 2008 Dodge Power Wagon w/G56 manual 6-speed. It is geared like a tractor. I currently have a 30' Toy Hauler that weighs 10,500 lbs & it tows that with no issues at all.

Thanks. :)

Amphibeast

Adventurer
I am currently adding 10" of lift to my bus & 4" on my trailer…… We are welding in 2x10" the steel w/ crossmember & all kinds of gussets for my bus… This way we don't jack with stock suspension and other issues… no blocks, springs or long shackles.. Same on my trailer along with tension portal style hubs….we are going for clearance and not suspension flex so it really depends on what you want to achieve…. I have some big tires and need the room for…..

TwinStick

Explorer
I am not going for flex either. It currently has 14" tires & rims. I am looking at & wanting 15" tires & rims as well as a lift. Trouble is, around here where i live, not many people know how or are even willing to do this. Everyone is scared to death about liability issues. NY is the "lets save them from themselves" state. I think i may have to travel west to do this to the camper, IDK.

cruiserpilot

Adventurer
I've seen lots of SOA trailers in northern Alberta and BC. Hunters haul them into the craziest places with trucks just like yours.
But our rules are pretty relaxed up here. Got to look reasonable, show quality welding, have an appearance of safe. As soon as
it looks like a liability they are all over it. I digress, SOA with 15" reg all terrain tires and it will follow you wherever you go.

anickode

Adventurer
We talking about a single axle trailer or tandem?

Single axle is easy. Spring over axle, and get some longer shackles. It'll make room for some bigger tires which will buy you axle clearance as well as frame clearance. Figure about 4-6" from the spring iver axle depending how thick the axle tube and spring packs are, 2" from the shackles and more from the tires depending how big you go. Nobody will even notice if you're neat about it, and you can do it in an hour with some jackstands or some nice heavy timber blocks.

Ive never tried playing with the shackle length on a tandem with an equalizer. Might cause some issues...?

Last edited:

tgreening

Expedition Leader
To get 2" of lift from a shackle you have to stick in a shackle 4" longer, and I really wouldnt recommend that.

biere

Observer
Go play on rv.net and you should run across some stuff.

As pickup trucks got taller and taller and taller and now the half tons are getting taller bedsides it became very common to have to lift up a fifth wheel trailer.

I figure you should run across some similar suspensions to yours, I missed if yours is bumper pull or not.

Everyone joked at ford for putting a ladder into their tailgate, then so many people who work their truck every day and are in and out of the bed a lot said it was a good idea and they liked it.

I bought a 1995 f150 and while it has the cute little steps on it the thing is low enough I can get into it with zero issue, no step needed.

But I rented a ford last year, nearly new truck but don't recall year, and that sucker sat a ton higher.

SameGuy

Observer
I put Timbren axle-less 4" lift suspension on my teardrop which gave me enough room to move from the stock 14" to 17" wheels that match my FJ. They make different weight setups in this system so with a double axle setup like yours I'm sure you could find a setup that matched your weight req. Search me here and you will see some pics. Ride is very nice and these things are built stout. Best part is 19" + ground clearance on my rig now.

TwinStick

Explorer
Thanks for the input. We have since bought a small camper, single axle with a good lift from the factory. I know, this is definitely NOT an "off-road" camper, but it fit all of our needs for now. If I ever do want a true off road trailer, I will be getting an M1102 & build it myself.

boxcar1

boxcar1
You should gain 4 - 5" by going spring under.
You can't just unbolt and flip them , you have to have perches welded to the top of the axles.
Axles have camber built into them , there is a top and bottom......
If you need more lift you will have to sub frame the trailer.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
jgrillz94