1982 Toyota Chinook Build

ericjn

Hello All!
My wife and I are traveling to South America in a Toyota Chinook.

I posted a little on our website about the build. I included solar, a new water system, new battery, new bed and a few other mods.

http://www.detoursencouraged.com/#!trip-details/mainPage

I'd love to share with anyone about the details of the build. I kept it short on the website because not everyone cares about solar panels and beds.

Anyway, please write me if you have questions. Also, if anyone has can't-miss places, please let me know. Thanks!

Attachments

• DSC_0210.jpg
    DSC_0210.jpg
    542.4 KB · Views: 242

xoblaim

Observer
Those are some great ideas for this Chinooker. The bed solution seems like a good one. I just may have a weekend project ahead of me.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

ericjn

I thought the same thing about the Chinook!
I think I was lucky to find one made in the 80s. Do you have any specific questions or need specific pictures of the build?
I have pretty slow wifi on the journey, so its easier if you have something in mind. Good luck!

aldenfost

Like most of the people here, i don't think i've seen a Toyota Chinook in the past decade. I really appreciate it when owners restore and build old vehicles, the older the better. Really interesting build project, and nice travel photos too. Keep it up!

4xchinook4

Observer
glad I caught this post early on. And that's way sweet! I actually have a similar plan to yours from beginning of the post to the end. I have a 1977 Chinook camper that I swapped onto a 1980 4x4. solar panel as well planned. and a trip to South America! a question for you though, did you by chance by your Chinook in Colorado? I remember a Craigslist ad sometime last year that had a 1982 Chinook for sale that looked similar to yours.

4xchinook4

Observer
And for those who where wondering, the collaboration/production between Toyota in Chinook motorhomes ended in 1978. But there were still some chinook camper shells floating around some toyota dealers, and factories. This how we got "original" chinook's in the early 80's . In the OP's case 82. :)

Anthony Cole

Hello friends.. All the best for your journey. Hope both of you enjoy the time together.. I also want to travel South America but in armored cars..Please give me reply after your journey.Hope i will get some suggestion to manage everything while journey.

ericjn

So good to know!

I'm sorry all, but we have been on the road without good wifi. We will be in a place for 3 weeks, so hopefully I can upload some photos and provide more info.

Yep I did buy it in Colorado. We are from Durango, but I flew to Denver to pick it up. We are in Belize now, and so far our truck has been great!

We hope to sell it in November or December. So, I'm open to offers haha.

4xchinook4

Observer
I love my chinook right now. But with the story on this one I would be tempted to buy yours. ;) I already have a few friends lined up with interest. But we gotta meet sometime and swap Chinook stories when you decide to come back home. Also a question for you. Where did you get your wall panelling with the wood look.? I imagine it's probably an eighth thick 4 by 8 sheet? They have the original look Of a Chinook. But I can't seem to find any for the re make of my interior?

Were did you get yours? I think you used it also for the facing of your cabinetry if I'm not mistaken?

Sent from my DROIDX using Tapatalk 2

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Randy Towles