Realistically...how often do you use your hi-lift?

Bravo1782

Adventurer
I've been reading through a few different forums, and I've been reading a couple threads on the subject of Hi-Lifts. Some people suggest that they love their hi-lift, and use it pretty regularly, other say it's more of a piece of "trail-bling" and they rarely use it, suggesting it's something mall-crawlers mount on their hoods to show off their rig.

Personally, I've got a 48" hi lift in my Jeep trail rig and at 60" X-Treme in my adventure truck. I haven't really used either all that much.

So, how often do you use your hi-lift? Is it an invaluable accessory, or more for show? What do you think?

AFSOC

Explorer
I've had my Hi-Lift for just over 30 years. I don't use it that much but about half the time I do, there isn't anything I could or would rather use. I really like them and have found several uses on job sites. To answer the question I would say it's closer to invaluable accessory than it is showpiece.

goodtimes

Expedition Poseur
I used mine a few times when I had a TJ simply because it was convenient.

A traditional jack would have worked in pretty much any situation that I used it.

I sold it when I sold the Jeep, & haven't really desired to have or use one on the truck.

Expedition Leader
Depends on where you travel, I guess. They're very handy in rocky terrain, for getting off high center. That's mostly what I've used mine for, but I don't use it every time I'm out wheeling by any means. It's just another tool in the kit.

bfdiesel

Explorer
I have used a hi lift many times. From getting out of ruts, using it as a winch, breaking beads on tires. Invaluable when you need it. I also use it to pull fence posts and other non ohv uses.

v_man

Explorer
The necessity of a hi lift is directly correlated to how your truck is set up . With say a lift , large tires , perhaps different axles , there's no way a typical scissor lift or bottle jack is going to get you enough clearance to change out a tire .

I put the high lift in the same category as a car insurance and a winch ...although I too use the winch more frequently ...

Amphibeast

Adventurer
I also carry a nice first aid kit I paid a few $$$ for……. I hope I never use it! ….now if I could get the high lift to fit under my seat and loose the 30lbs…….(-:

njtacoma

Explorer
I use mine more often around the house for landscaping etc.
When I went exploring more often I bolted it under the seat out of the way. Quicker to use the winch.

Scoutn79

Adventurer
I don't use it as a jack but it sure has uses breaking beads, lifting out "T"posts lifting moving heavy objects in my construction business etc. I have used it as a winch before I had a winch or a com-a-long. They are handy but dangerous if you don't pay attention.
So I would say I use mine several times a year...but it does stay mounted in the Scout as apposed to sitting in the shop.

Darrell

gwittman

Adventurer
I have never needed one in the more than 35 years of off-roading. I didn't carry one until about 5 years ago and got it then only because it was a requirement for the group I was going with. I can see where it could be useful and continue to carry it. I doubt and hope I will never need it. I used to carry a com-a-long but never used it off-road and now use it for other things.

robert

Expedition Leader
I've used mine a handful of times off-road, usually when high centered or needing to shove something under the tires. I use it at the house sometimes too. Could I live without it? Yeah, probably since I have a winch and a shovel but it's not a bad thing to carry if you have the room for it although mine stays in the shed most of the time.

craig333

Expedition Leader
Haven't needed it on the truck yet. Used it plenty on the Jeep but its the only jack I have for the Jeep.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Rinzlerz