Realistically...how often do you use your hi-lift?

1stDeuce

Explorer
People use guns dangerously too, but most of us understand that the gun isn't the problem...

To comment on the original topic, I used my hi-lift a LOT when I was in college and didn't have a winch, or lockers, or even decent tires on my truck... Just two sturdy bumpers, and some chain and straps got me out of a lot of situations! Even had a custom built piece of chain for chaining the axle up so I could more easily use the hi-lift to change a tire. Never any injuries to me or the truck from using the hi-lift, as I am evidently equipped with un-common sense. :)

After I got a winch and than a Jeep, I pretty much stopped carrying it, but I use it around the shop to break down tires a lot. And occasionally I jack something up with it too. :)

If you have two good bumpers, a Hi-lift can save you a lot of frustration, and sometimes help you though something that wouldn't be possible to winch through. (Rocks snagging undercarriage come to mind as a good time for the hi-lift.)

I'm not going to get rid of mine any time soon, even if I don't often take it on the trail with me.
Chris

teotwaki

Excelsior!
Snippy retort away - doesn't change the fact that a Hi-Lift is both a serious and a dangerous tool that few rarely learn how to use properly. The evidence is in this thread - photo after photo of dangerous practices. It's the same as people who hang around next to a loaded winch line, or recover a vehicle from a trailer ball. Average redneck behavior.

304673d939efb8e9cccb7f7f0329027a.jpg

In the director's cut of the movie Deliverance I am pretty sure that Burt Reynolds tricked the local rednecks into using a Hi-Lift so as they'd a killed themselves. That was chopped from the movie in favor of him using the bow an' error to dispatch the surly rednecks. :ylsmoke:

southpier

Expedition Leader
they had to leave it in the truck on accountta it make the canoe hard to paddle too.

but that video makes a good argument to have one aboard and get some training & accessories for it.

MOguy

Explorer
I have had to use my hi-lift more times than my spare tire. I am not leaving either one of the them behind.

teotwaki

Excelsior!
they had to leave it in the truck on accountta it make the canoe hard to paddle too.

but that video makes a good argument to have one aboard and get some training & accessories for it.

The Hi-Lift could serve nicely as an anchor for the canoe! :elkgrin:

Anyhow, if someone can invent something better that the Hi-Lift I am sure that it would sell quite well

CountryHandyMan

Unregistered Maine Guide
Wow, this escalated quickly. I love the versatility of the Hi-lift jack and as long as you're smarter than it is you'll be fine. In the 20ish years I've owned one I've changed tires, rescued trucks & Jeeps, pulled fence posts & stumps, moved barns, jacked houses and once rescued a horse. Is it the first tool I grab when I get stuck-no. Would I leave home without it-no. It's no more dangerous than a tow strap, winch line, axe or shot gun in the hands intelligent operators.

CountryHandyMan

Unregistered Maine Guide
Horse slipped on the ice and landed completely upside down in a watering trough. She was stuck in it untill I used my Hi-lift to roll tank onto it's side, freeing the horse.

91AzXJ

Adventurer
Handy when you need it like others have said. I used it last weekend to get my stuck backwash valve out of the pipe on my pool pump. Would not have been able to do without it. I have also pulled out bush roots with mine. Oh ya, have used it to change a tire, slide my *** end over and just to lift the body a bit. By the way, I had always thought that this forum was above all the BS that is now going on in this thread!

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
jgrillz94