Realistically...how often do you use your hi-lift?

doug720

Expedition Leader
I was not limiting being stuck to changing a tire. Anytime a vehicle is stuck, use of a bottle jack is very limited, at best.

At some point, you have to make decisions on what to carry, for me, a Hi-Lift has many more uses than a bottle jack, so I carry one.

Bravo1782

Adventurer
Hey Guys,

This is great! I didn't expect so many responses, so this is outstanding!

My thinking when I bought it was I didn't have the budget for a winch, and the X-Treme seems like a decent "second option" until a decent winch is in the budget. I've seen too many factory scissor jacks give out and break in the past, so I got the tire lift attachment for it and keep a jackstand in the truck for if and when I need to change a tire outside of the driveway. I don't have heavy bumpers or sliders on my truck just yet (primarily a daily driver\camping adventure rig) so that's really my best bet for a lift point. I'm also the type to pull over and help people that are stuck in bad weather, so it seemed like a nice tool to have around. I use the 4xrac that hi-lift sells and mounted it up with some rivetnuts in my bed. It's just under my bed rail, so it doesn't really get in the way. It's locked up and just lives in there.

I stole the mounts from my Jeep YJ...I had them mounted on the bumper, but the jeep's getting some renovations, so I'm not sure where the hi-lift will go. I don't have any other way to lift the jeep, so I need to figure something out to mount it up.

JKiIrIn.jpg

Yarjammer

Wellreadneck
Jack from the axle or shock mount - take the suspension travel out of the picture.

The H3 has IFS and trust me, it is significantly easier to use a 60" Hi-Lift and OEM front shackles on that truck in lieu of a bottle jack. That is what I did when I had mine. The shock mounts on an H3 without aftermarket skids aren't the best for jacking; GM kinda screwed up there.

-----------------------------------

The usefulness of a hi-lift is going to be different for everyone based on their truck and how it is setup. If you have a stock Taco... not very useful unless you have the hi-lift accessory kit. Once you have more hard points to lift from it becomes a much more valuable trail tool. Like others have previously stated, sometimes a hi-lift is the only answer. I've used mine more than a few times and it made all the difference in the world. I find the wheel lift claw in the accessory kit to be invaluable.

A hi-lift is no more or less dangerous than a winch with steel cable in the wrong hands.

plainjaneFJC

Deplorable
I remember buying my first hi-lift jack because I was told I needed it with a lifted jeep. Good thing I never used it, I had no idea what I was doing and probably would have killed myself or someone else.

ADVW/Liam

Adventurer
Every time I do maintenance that requires me to lift the front of my truck. I dont have any high lift points on the rear or sides...yet.

mikejr

The H3 has IFS and trust me, it is significantly easier to use a 60" Hi-Lift and OEM front shackles on that truck in lieu of a bottle jack. That is what I did when I had mine. The shock mounts on an H3 without aftermarket skids aren't the best for jacking; GM kinda screwed up there.

-----------------------------------

The usefulness of a hi-lift is going to be different for everyone based on their truck and how it is setup. If you have a stock Taco... not very useful unless you have the hi-lift accessory kit. Once you have more hard points to lift from it becomes a much more valuable trail tool. Like others have previously stated, sometimes a hi-lift is the only answer. I've used mine more than a few times and it made all the difference in the world. I find the wheel lift claw in the accessory kit to be invaluable.

A hi-lift is no more or less dangerous than a winch with steel cable in the wrong hands.

Right-O, I was speaking primarily from experience changing tires on my Jeep - the Hi-Lift will get them off the ground, but just barely. Much easier to put a scissor or bottle jack under the axle, shock mount, or A arm and jack just the tire up for changing.

I do have a hi lift, but they're the wrong piece of kit most of the time for maintenance like a tire change - they do have their uses.

I also keep mine inside the vehicle and well lubricated...

gmwelder86

Adventurer
Have only had my hi lift for a short while. First use was bringing , my front porch up to level to replace a post that had rotted out and allowed the span to sag a few inches, than today while putting my lift on my jk. Didn't originally jack it up hi enough to get the new springs in and the floor jack wouldnot get it up any higher. Out comes the hi lift, works like a charm.

I loved my knock-off "farm jack" from princess auto. Can only imagine what a real HiLift would be like. Would have been nice to have wheel cradles for my Ramchargers with stock/missing bumpers as a youngin, but my old 2WD Ranger could go ANYWHERE...with that jack! High centred? Jack it up and push it over. Buried? Jack it up and pile rocks under the tires. Stuck bad? Pull it out. I'll probably buy another one if I get something bigger than a Subaru again at some point.

urbex

Observer
I quit carrying mine about a decade ago when I first started using winches. Prior to that, 99% of the time I was using the Hi-Lift as a hand winch, and the other 1% of the time I was using it to change tires because I didn't feel like digging out the bottle jack.

From the realistic side of things, I've yet to come up against a situation where a Hi-Lift was a better lifting device to get a tire off the ground than a well placed bottle jack. The Hi-Lift was certainly more convenient at times, but not better or safer. The convenience goes out the window when I have to strap/chain the suspension before attempting to lift off a bumper anyways.

I've seen far too many people make their high centered/stuck situation worse by using the jack and push it over method, or just plain make far more work for themselves than if they had just dug out with a shovel a bit, or used a bottle or scissor jack to stack some rocks under the tires. I've also found adjusting my driving style did wonders to avoid getting high centered/stuck so badly that I had no choice but to use the lift and push method, or dragging several feet one way or the other off a high centered stuck.

Like others, I occasionally toss it into the truck as part of a "required equipment" list for a run, but I certainly don't miss it otherwise.

keane

Observer
I have a high lift or farm jack in each of my off road vehicles. Every one of them has been used for one reason or another. But with having the high lift you allso need to have the proper accessories to use it as safely as you can for what your doing. I have a strap that hooks to the rim for lifting tires, a adapter that plugs in to a receiver. and a couple large spikes that i pound through holes in the base to keep it from sliding out if needed, ect. Is it a tool I need on every trip, no. But is it a tool that has gotten me and others back on the trail, yes. Just remember to use it safely and watch you lips.

And take the time you make sure it is in good working condition or there is no point in having it.

wreckdiver1321

Overlander
I use mine all the time. Nothing beats it for popping fenceposts. Also works great for deconstructing old, juny, heavy furniture, and I've used it to fix bent steel. Plus all those off road uses. It's been a good investment for me.

Ghost65

Allergic to Pavement
I've used it more than I care to admit...from lifting high clearance vehicles for a tire change...to the time I had to use it in combination with stacking rocks when I ran off the trail, into a ravine...solo...and had to gather rocks for 2 hours to back out of a 4 foot deep wash in the desert.

More than bling...it is an off road necessity on my rig.

tgreening

Expedition Leader
I've had my highlift for 32 yrs. I've had it from California to Maine, and points between, and I don't recall EVER having to use it. I mean a HAVE TO situation, and in reality that's probably a good thing. As a vehicle jack they're probably about as unsafe as they come. As a come along, or clamp/spreader, probably better. To me it's what you'd use if you had no other choice. I always have. I was probably 20-21 yrs old when I bought it and I bought it because in the early 80's it was something you were supposed to have. Much like triple-tube roll bars and quad shocks on every corner. :)

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
WonaWarrior