Ordered truck cap today. Now I need to figure out my sleeping arrangement.

Halligan

Adventurer
I ordered a new Leer 100XR truck cap today. Now I'm trying to decide what to do about sleeping in my truck during trips. I have a '6.5 bed and still use it for hauling duties so I don't know if building a platform is a good idea. Is an air mattress worth it? Any idea's? My trips will be 2-3 nights at a time.

southpier

Expedition Leader
my suggestion would be to go to the big Box store and get a couple of 2' x 8' sheets of 1" rigid foam insulation and a sheet of 1/2" ac plywood. cut all to bed length and put foam over bed ribbed bottom and plywood on top. get a piece of 1"x6" poplar twice as long as the bed is wide at the flange where the cap rests - i call it the gunnels -and cut it in 2 pieces. this can be a shelf against the cab end for - whatever, and the second piece can be added to make it wider or used near the tailgate once you're in for the night.

also grab a plastic storage bin with lid. throw your gear in and take a trip. see what you like or miss. between trips, add things but of a temporary nature so if it doesn't work out you're not out too much $$$. don't fall into the trap of using 2" dimensional lumber. it's way overkill for most stuff, splits and cracks when it dries out, and generally looks like Joe****theRagMan built it. good wood can be taken apart, reconfigured, and still look good. if you don't have a bunch of woodworking tools, have the wood cut in the store. establishing repoire with the clerk doing the cutting goes a long way, but try not to expect exact sizes. figure on an error of 1/4" either way and you won't be disappointed.

air mattresses are cold to sleep on. use a foam mattress.

have fun/ report your results!

Last edited:

robert

Expedition Leader
My truck gets used as a truck too so a dedicated platform didn't make sense for me either; that and I hate the coffin feel of being close to the cap on a platform. If you actually spend much time living out of the truck, stealth camping or in bad weather it's a PITA not being able to sit up. It's easier to get dressed, work on a laptop, move around, cook, etc with more room.

In both of my Tacomas I cut two sheets of plywood to cover the floor then built a box on the left side that jutted out just past the wheel well. This allows me to fold the floor and remove the setup when needed but also keeps almost full height for me or whatever junk I'm carrying. I covered this setup with that gray carpeting from Lowe's and added doors on top of the cabinet to access tools, jumper cables, etc.

I used to use a couple of Ridgerest pads but for the last couple of years I've been suing one of Cabela's Guide self inflating mattresses and have been generally happy with it. I may try their regular Guide mattress at some point since I can cut the foam to better fit the shorter six foot Tacoma bed. My junk is in Rubbermaid containers that I can stack beside the sleeping area or place on the cabinet out of the way. You lose some storage area for sure with this setup but to me it's much more livable and infinitely more useful for everyday stuff if you want to eave it in; I toss extra stuff behind the seats in the access cab when I need more room.

ETA- Only picture I have handy. It's not really set up from camping here, all of that junk was just left in there from a previous over-nighter. This was just a quick picture I snapped in the driveway when someone was asking about the clamps for the shell.
IMG_2345_zps4cc50b99.jpg

Last edited:

Halligan

Adventurer
Thanks for the good idea's guys. If you have a picture of your setup's I'd be grateful if you'd post them. I want something simple that I can remove easily when not needed. I will say I'm looking forward to not sleeping in a tent.

wADVr

Adventurer
Solo sleeping arrangement? If so a simple cot to one side or the other over the wheel well worked great for me. Had plenty of room to store stuff under it. Is totally removable and cheap/ light weight.

southpier

Expedition Leader
get something to block your windows. cardboard from boxes will work for the first trip. you won't have the "goldfish in a bowl" feeling if you can control outside looking in and verse visa.

jimi breeze

jimi breeze
I use a 3 x 6 folding gym mat. It folds down out of the way and can even use it as a seat. When I'm ready to crash for the evening I just unfold it.

bshillam

Observer
I just bought some luxury thermarest and will be trying them out soon. I was impressed with the fact that they get close to 3" of inflation. They are light and I doubled up on two larges to get close to a double mattress size. Lifetime warranty, I am also using a Thermarest that I bought about twenty plus years ago!

Waltzing Matilda

Adventurer
self inflating single

I bought a self inflating mattress at Costco 2 years ago, single width, durable nylon cover. Thermarest knockoff.

I use it on top of a carpet kit w/padded foam, on a platform that I've modified, to fit on driver side vs. full width. I have a tall Callen shell, so I have more headroom for an elevated platform vs. simple shell, and storage underneath.

The air mattress + foam= added comfort/warmth. (+Just saw them there again today for about $35. )

I also carry an old super lightweight backpacking, closed foam pad- the bright blue object seen in the photo. I throw it on the ground for lounging, or use it under the air pad, if I want to sleep outside and prevent rocks from puncturing the air mattress.

image.jpg

Or, Costco also has a queen size air mattress with pump. Seems a bit less durable but if you need the larger size, the mattress + pump combo was $40.

Just bring some padding to use underneath you with an air vs. foam mattress- the air can get chilly.

Attachments

• image.jpg
    image.jpg
    546.8 KB · Views: 35

1stDeuce

Explorer
There are some really nice setups on here in one of the threads I've seen, but I went a much simpler way...

I put three 2x4's across the bed in the pockets intended to allow a "2nd layer". Then I put a ~36" wide piece of plywood in the center and screwed it down at the outer edges. Added two 12" pieces on each side, NOT screwed down. Stapled outdoor carpet over the whole thing. The carpet makes a sort of "hinge" so I can flip the outer pieces up to the center and get to things underneath. (My topper has contractor style side windows, so I can get to things stored under the sides without climbing in.)

This works good for camping, and allowes me to store and get to things underneath pretty easily. And it all comes out in a few minutes if I pull out the six screws holding the center plywood to the 2x4's.

BTW, the topper is for sale here in Farmington NM if anyone wants them. (Check CL)
The platform is free to the purchaser or anyone else that might want it. I'm downsizing my collection of stuff, and I don't need this stuff. :)

IMG_3343.jpg

SportsmanJake

Adventurer
I also have a truck cap on a 6.5 bed and did not want anything permanent. At first I just slept on a mat in the bed but I would always wake up feeling sore. So I bought a cheap single camping air mattress and just inflate that. It is much more comfortable. I also like it because they are pretty small when fully deflated and I can just keep it in the truck.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
jgrillz94