Will Delorme's Topo 10 work with a built in GPS on a Windows tablet?

dstock

Explorer
I wasn't giving you attitude. My tablet runs 8.1, but there are different versions of 8.1 now. I did not know that tablet ran full windows. I may have to get one. again I was trying to help, not give attitude. Does your asus have a stylus as well?

Windows gave up on Windows RT so all the newer tablets are running full 8.1. The newer Asus does not have the stylus despite some of the websites saying otherwise. Mine came straight from the Microsoft store, although it is no longer available on their site.

It's nice little setup with the addition of a keyboard, case and mouse!

i-bm5V8pG-L.jpg

kojackJKU

Autism Family Travellers!
I love windows, even RT. It works just as my windows 8 laptops and desktops work. Besides not running exe files which at the moment has only bothered me because I can't use corel paint shop pro x7. I was hoping that corel was going to build an app based version. I am using photr on my tablet and it works great for general editing of my photos on the road. My asus came with the keyboard/battery setup. Its awesome. I may take a mouse with me in two wks when I goto florida. Makes photo editing easier and faster. Next up is an 8" version of a windows tablet to have on the planes etc.

precision powder

Backwoods Explorer
A heads up if you are running topo 10 and 8.1 the gps puck likes to crash the software. I run topo 10 on my surface pro with the bundled gps puck. It crashed for 2 days every time I tried to navigate with it. Delorme is aware of the issue and can send you a link to run something called gps gate to assign your puck a virtual comm port and it will fix the issue. As long as you can find the comm port your internal GPS device is connected to the software WILL run your built in GPS receiver. You just need to set the program to look for a generic receiver and set the comm port and you are done.

at_olw

Observer
GPS gate is a great program ^ and will (should) make your internal GPS (or any connected gps) work with any program, or multiple programs at the same time, which is very handy. I'm using that to make my blutooth GPS receiver work with both aprsisce and maps pro at the same time. Maps pro is entirely miserable to use - I too am trying to find a better windows 8 navigational program (ideally with touch screen optimized interface). As a quick aside - if you end up with a program that requires location services, GPSdirect can take a port you created with gps gate to convert to location services.

precision powder

Backwoods Explorer
GPS gate is a great program ^ and will (should) make your internal GPS (or any connected gps) work with any program, or multiple programs at the same time, which is very handy. I'm using that to make my blutooth GPS receiver work with both aprsisce and maps pro at the same time. Maps pro is entirely miserable to use - I too am trying to find a better windows 8 navigational program (ideally with touch screen optimized interface). As a quick aside - if you end up with a program that requires location services, GPSdirect can take a port you created with gps gate to convert to location services.

Delorme topo 10 works pretty damn well with windows 8 and 8.1 the only issue I had was solved using GPS Gate. I use it as my primary means of navigation with a large gazetteer for a backup. The gps I keep mounted via a magnet to my windshield since I have a fiberglass top. On my surface I found it easier to use the touchscreen then it was to use my mouse or my touch pad. I would highly recommend it if you are looking for a new program. Being able to print off maps, turn by turns, and have it auto route even across dirt logging roads is excellent. You can even track new roads and add them. It would excellent for trail hiking and riding as well. The 3d portion is kind of neat. I do like that is gives the topo lines some life

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
WonaWarrior