Will Delorme's Topo 10 work with a built in GPS on a Windows tablet?

dstock

Explorer
I have an Asus windows 8.1 tablet with built in GPS. I know that Garmin Basecamp won't recognize the internal tablet GPS, but was curious if Delorme's Topo 10 would?

I'd rather not have to use an external GPS puck.

Thanks.

dstock

Explorer
Just an aside, I wholly unimpressed with MapsPro routing abilities. It seemed unable to keep up in routing mode, despite being fine finding position when not routing. An that is assuming you can get it to route at all to begin with, it's making my old Garmin look better and better.

Also, got email from Delorme this morning, Topo 10 is on sale for $69 through the end of the day.

dstock

Explorer
Despite feeling like I am having a conversation with myself....

I went ahead and ordered Topo 10 with the gps puck for $76 on sale. I should be able to answer my own question about whether topo will use the internal gps on my tablet in the next few days. If not, I will have the puck as well, which I can also use with my laptop.

Will report back!

dstock

Explorer
Apparently the question will not be answered, despite my DVD drive being able to read every version of DVD, it would not read the install disk. Also kind of disappointed to see no mention of windows 8 on the install disk, makes it seem like an old product.

Needless to say, I'm returning it.

GregSplett

Adventurer
Apparently the question will not be answered, despite my DVD drive being able to read every version of DVD, it would not read the install disk. Also kind of disappointed to see no mention of windows 8 on the install disk, makes it seem like an old product.

Unfortunately I can not answer your question either.But after reading this,searching for system requirements and such for topo 10 and reading amazon reviews it is off the plate for me.

I have spent a few hours now trying to turn this 8.1 laptop into a Gps unit for exploring the Olympic mountains and do not really feel like I am any farther along.Basicly I have learned that both delourme and nat geo suck.

I think it is time for thishttp://http://www.amazon.com/GPS-For-Dummies-Joel-McNamara/dp/0470156236

dstock

Explorer
Unfortunately I can not answer your question either.But after reading this,searching for system requirements and such for topo 10 and reading amazon reviews it is off the plate for me.

I have spent a few hours now trying to turn this 8.1 laptop into a Gps unit for exploring the Olympic mountains and do not really feel like I am any farther along.Basicly I have learned that both delourme and nat geo suck.

I think it is time for thishttp://http://www.amazon.com/GPS-For-Dummies-Joel-McNamara/dp/0470156236

After trying so many of the Windows/Android Apps with limited success, I've basically setup my Windows 8.1 tablet to run Garmin Basecamp and will continue to use my Garmin Zumo for navigating. I got a small bluetooth keyboard and mouse so I can easily plan routes using the tablet when on the road (or laptop at home) and then download to the Zumo. The Zumo footprint is smaller on the dash then mounting the tablet, so I don't have to worry about airbags turning the tablet into shrapnel in the event of an accident.
I know many others are using tablets with great success but so far I haven't found a solution that works for me. Overland Journal has a great article this month about the various mapping options. Unfortunately, I have limited time to test of all of these apps/programs, and any time I do have I would rather be out there in the back country then testing programs. As always YMMV!

kojackJKU

Autism Family Travellers!

Did you try in another machine? or only yours?

EDIT:

Just thought of this.....what ASUS tablet do you have? whats the exact model number?

kojackJKU

Got it. Its not running windows 8.1 pro. Its the same as my ASUS vivotab RT LTE. You cannot run EXE files. Try a real laptop

dstock

Explorer
Got it. Its not running windows 8.1 pro. Its the same as my ASUS vivotab RT LTE. You cannot run EXE files. Try a real laptop

I wasn't using the tablet, I was using my regular windows 8.1 laptop. Also, my tablet is not that same as yours as it runs Windows 8.1, not RT and runs .exe files just fine. Nice attitude.

kojackJKU

I wasn't giving you attitude. My tablet runs 8.1, but there are different versions of 8.1 now. I did not know that tablet ran full windows. I may have to get one. again I was trying to help, not give attitude. Does your asus have a stylus as well?

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
ritabooke