Quick question regarding wiring lights with two different switches

BrianTN

Adventurer
So, I have already wired in some bed lights with a Contura switch inside the cab through a relay. It works great, but I started thinking about adding a switch inside the bed in addition to the switch inside the cab. This way I can stay in the bed and control the lights, vs getting up and switching them on or off inside the cab then going back to the bed. What would be an efficient way of wiring this? Here is the current switch I am using. I am also toying with the idea of ditching this current switch, and wiring into the stock cargo light switch. I'm not sure how it is wired though.

wirenut

Adventurer
Do you want these two switch to work like in your house where you have a switch at either end of a hallway or at the top and bottom of stairs? Those are called 3 way switches. Electrically, they are single pole double throw (SPDT). The switch you have is a single pole single throw (SPST). If you install two SPDT switches, one in the cab, on in the bed, then either will control the lights. You would wire the center terminal of one to incoming power, the center terminal of the other to the light. The remaining 2 terminals on one switch get hooked to the remaining 2 terminals on the other switch.

BrianTN

Adventurer
3 way, that's the term I was trying to think of. Yeah. Here is a diagram I found for this:
2_way_switch.gif

Can I install a relay with this setup?

4x4junkie

Explorer
Yep. Instead of the center terminal of the right switch going to the light itself, it can be wired to the switching coil of a relay.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
jgrillz94