Adhesives - how to affix a rubber seal to glass

Mr. Pickles

Observer
The lower windshield wiper cowl on my 01 Disco is cracked and the rubber seal that runs along the entire lower edge of the glass has come loose. I don't have the cash at the moment to replace the cowl (around $300) and I haven't been able to locate one in a boneyard or on eBay yet. As we're coming up to the rainy season here in the NE, I want to make sure that I don't get any leaks and want to affix the seal to the windshield (the cowl held it in place originally). What would be the best adhesive for this application?

While I'm at it, it looks like the seals under the exterior a pillar trim are loose as well. Might want to seal them too.

Thanks in advance.

JSBriggs

Adventurer
Do you have a pic to get a better understanding? On my disco the rear quarterpanel windos had split at the corners. I used the right stuff to fill and reseal the crack. if you are careful, patient and use it sparingly, it should work fine for a temporary fix. And as they say 'There is nothing as permanent as a temporary fix.'

rightstuff2.jpg

-Jeff

unseenone

Explorer
Clear Marine Silicon RTV Sealant on glass or metal is what I use on that and similar issues. It's like glue when dry, but will peel off easily enough if you need to disassemble. Marine places sell it on small tubes.

I believe they make something specifically for door seals, which won't harden, I don't know what it is though. I need some..

tacr2man

Adventurer
If its permanent fix you want then Sika flex ( as used to bond windscreen to body) , or other local such adhesive, available at windscreen shops) .

Mr. Pickles

Observer
Thanks for the info. I'm going to try the marine grade silicone sealant to affix the rubber gasket once the weather cooperates (it's recommended that it be applied when the ambient temp. is above 50 degrees F). In the meantime, I have a very temporary fix of outdoor window tape to help some of the water run off. I also have the tape on my sunroof until I get a chance to drop the head liner and fix the drain tubes. Gotta' love Rovers!

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Randy Towles