Tiny Truck Fight - Ranger vs Colorado/Canyon

Since both my Jeep and my quadvan are essentially in project status, since both need new engines and will still be a little impractical for daily driver use once they're finished, I'm looking into getting a small pickup for DD and light offroading duties in the meantime, and eventually do some light modding for overlanding duty (Since, at this point, I'm basically obligated to make everything I own an offroader)

I know, the best answer for a small truck is the Tacoma, and the second-best is the Frontier, and the ACTUAL best answer is to turn my TJ into a Brute. But, short answer is, I can't justify the price of those two relative for what I want it for-and for the money that I'd rather pour into my Jeep, van and bike-and because here in the Yukon, the resale value on a Japanese truck or SUV is absolutely insane (A 20-year-old Hardbody with rust up to the door handles is still worth $2000, but a 10-year-old Ranger in great shape can be had for $5000 easily)

So, between those two, what's the best choice? I like the look of the GM twins better, and I've always been a fan of GM powertrains, and the larger back seat is nice as well. But Rangers are cheaper, and I've never heard anyone say a single bad thing about them reliability-wise.

Either would be had with one of the larger powertrain options (Probably the 3.0L V6 in the Ranger or the 3.7L I5 in the Colorado/Canyon), and in 4WD, extended cab trim.

gwittman

Adventurer
I certainly would not tell you which to buy but if you go with the Ranger I can give you some information. The 3.0L engine is very durable but many people feel they are low on power. They get only slightly better mileage than the 4.0 SOHC. If you don't need the power, the 3.0 could work just fine for you.
Since 1989, I have owned two Rangers. One was an 89 2.9L SuperCab and the other a 2002 4.0 SOHC SuperCab. Both did everything I ask of them and had no major problems.

ADVW/Liam

Adventurer
I had a 96 S10 with the 4.3 V6. That motor was solid! I beat the crap outta it, and it never leaked, or gave me any problems. imagine a 16 year old putting 100,000 miles on it, and it never so much as blew smoke out the tail pipe. It's basically a 350 with the last two cyllenders lobbed off. If I had to choose between them, I'd get something with the 4.3 V6, manual trans. The T56 (6 speed camaro and Corvette trans) will bolt right up.

I was actually pretty disappointed that they didn't offer the 4.3L in the Colorado/Canyon. I've driven Astro service vans with that engine, and they're amazing, love that engine. Sadly, up here, the rest of the S10-based trucks don't seem to hold up as well, otherwise I'd consider one since I've always loved how they look.

plainjaneFJC

Deplorable
A S-10 was my first vehicle and the most reliable thing I ever drove. I think its because it didn't have enough power to hurt itself.

wtrmlnsp

I was in a similar spot as you a few months back, I wanted the Tacoma but couldn't justify the price, so I was looking at rangers and 355's. I ended up picking up a 2007 Chevy Colorado crew cab, so far its been great, the 3.7 makes some good power for the size of the truck and I haven't had any serious problems. The only thing I've been disappointed in is the box size but I was driving a full size with a 6.5' box before this so that's expected lol but still for daily driving its an awesome little truck and I can make do the few times a year I need the extra bed space. So far I've put a bit of a lift on it, some 32's, aluminum skid plates and some rock sliders, next I'm planing to build a bed rack for a RTT.
If you do go with a coly or canyon, check out canada355.ca and 355nation.net for extra info

WagoneerSX4

Adventurer
Both trucks were pretty solid in their last production form. Both ford and chevy engine options weren't the most refined. The 4.0L in the ranger has zero top-end and likes to guzzle gas, and the 5cyl in the canyon is a little thrashy when you're hard on it but they seem to last forever.

Really it's just personal opinion and what little options you can find in the yukon.

ZMagic97

Explorer
Are you limited to a small truck? I only ask because I too was looking for a Ranger or S10/Colorado/Canyon. All of them were overpriced to me. I ended up getting a Silverado (2WD, single cab regular bed) for cheaper than I could find a smaller truck. You could probably find a 4WD one for a competitive price as well.

Either way, I recommend the 4.3 for the Chevy/GMC. My Silverado had it and it is SOLID. It's pretty much an LS1 with 2 cylinder chopped off.

Are you limited to a small truck? I only ask because I too was looking for a Ranger or S10/Colorado/Canyon. All of them were overpriced to me. I ended up getting a Silverado (2WD, single cab regular bed) for cheaper than I could find a smaller truck. You could probably find a 4WD one for a competitive price as well.

Either way, I recommend the 4.3 for the Chevy/GMC. My Silverado had it and it is SOLID. It's pretty much an LS1 with 2 cylinder chopped off.

Actually, the main reason I'm looking at a small truck is because big ones still command insane prices here too-not quite Toyota insane, but it's hard to find one worth owning for a good price. My old beater was a '95 Sierra 305 and I loved it, but while I got lucky and got it for free, it was still worth $1500 when I sold it with a misfire, a timing problem, a ****ty new paintjob and 350,000 KM on it. And I wouldn't mind something a little more efficient than a 15 MPG Jeep and a 13 MPG van either. I can get 2WD models pretty cheap, but finding something with 4WD, reasonable mileage that hasn't been beat to hell and back is a hell of a challenge.

anickode

Adventurer
A former coworker of mine had a late 90s 4x4 4.0 ranger. In his words: "This thing is such a turd. It gets 14 MPG, does 0-60 in 2.5 miles, and there's always something broken on it. If it was an animal, it would be covered in flies."

alforda

I owned a 05 Colorado crew cab 3.5 5cyl and that was a great truck minus a few electrical issues which were worked out by 2006. It never gave me a single issue drivetrain wise and I consistently got 23mpg hwy.

However, my biggest complaints with that truck were how cheap and uncomfortable the interior was. And how thin body panels were.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

nmatcek

Adventurer
I have a 2008 Colorado, 4x4, 3.7. I've had a great time with this truck and have had no reliability issues. The I5 has plenty of torque. Off the lot I was getting about 21mpg highway. Now I average around 17 with a 4 inch lift, skid plates, and 33" tires. That is with either my camper shell or my rooftop tent which I use interchangeably. It's quite capable off road also. I have a factory automatic locking rear diff which has functioned flawlessly and is a great traction device. While shopping, check the rpo codes in the glove box and if you see the code "g80" the truck is equipped with this locker. Good luck with your decision.

NODNARB

Observer
If you're looking to keep it relatively stock in the drivetrain and suspension department, I'd say pick whichever you like better. If you're looking at big suspension upgrades, the ranger will have a ton more aftermarket support.

anickode

Adventurer
However, my biggest complaints with that truck were how cheap and uncomfortable the interior was. And how thin body panels were.

That ain't just the Colorado. That's every American vehicle made from about 2000-2012. Interiors are FINALLY starting to show some quality, but Ford is way ahead of GM and Chrysler is still trailing far behind.

And thin body panels are just the way of the future my friend. Gotta shed the weight from someplace to squeeze in under the EPA's ever-tightening grip on fuel economy requirements. If you'd told someone 20 years ago that Ford would be making a full sized aluminum pickup truck with a 4 banger, they'd say you were crazy because it wouldn't be strong enough or powerful enough, or cost effective, but here we are. All in the name of using less fuel.

thethePete

Explorer
Colorado isn't really all that great and they're not the best to work on. I spent equal times working at a GM dealer and a Ford dealer, so I've worked on both. I'm slightly biased in that I own a Ranger, but I also made that choice based on ease of maintenance, availabilty of parts, and over all durability. Try to find one with a 3.0L V6. The 4.0 is more powerful, but it's a gas hog and you would be better served by just going fullsized.

Also as mentioned above, aftermarket support for Rangers is almost on par with Jeeps. Colorados... not so much.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Randy Towles