Help assessing the value of a Cannondale road bike?

KiwiKurt

Explorer
Hey all. I havent cycled in years, and dont really have any intention of getting back into it. We recently donated our mountainbikes to a foundation, but I still have my road bike.

Its a Cannondale R900 si, I think it might be a 2002? Its a caad5, when they were still hand made in the usa. I raced it for a season, and then it got a revamp in 2004(?) with mavic wheels and a full 9spd dur-ace/ultegra parts group. I put about 100 miles on the group, cleaned it, oiled it, and its never been ridden since.

The thing looks brand new. I plan on putting it up for sale on craigslist and wondering what a starting price to ask might be?

Thanks for the help.

Co-opski

Expedition Leader
I had a 1987 SR400 Team Comp in Battleship gray and pink full Campy and a crusty brooks saddle that was stolen from the University library in Stevens Point Wisconsin. So they must have a value to someone. It was a good school bike back in the late 2000s. Never got a picture of it, funny how things come and go.

Do you have any local races that people get into for fun? We have a few in Anchorage and road bikes go up a little in value as they come around. For some a good old road bike is better than trying to race a mountain bike on road. Good luck with the sale. Start at $400 and work down from there. All depends on how much you try to sell it.

mtnbike28

Expedition Leader
What were you thinking? (I am not interested) $500? High end older bikes don't seem to hold value as complete bikes. I know it is worth more than $500, but that is what I am seeing around here. A high end aluminum frame is not popular right now, 9 speed is dead (OK every bike I own except my cross bike is 9 speed) so you might have better luck selling parts. Look at prices on ebay (do an advance search on completed items) for the wheels, frame and group components and start there. If it doesn't sell on CL at that price, part it out on ebay. GLWS

jdillard

Observer
If it's any comparison, a few years ago I thought about selling my mountain bike of the same level, an M900, and was told $300 by anyone I asked. I take care of my stuff, so it's fairly mint, especially for a mountain bike that old.

Anyway, I couldn't see selling it at that price, so I still ride it.

calicamper

Expedition Leader
Hey all. I havent cycled in years, and dont really have any intention of getting back into it. We recently donated our mountainbikes to a foundation, but I still have my road bike.

Its a Cannondale R900 si, I think it might be a 2002? Its a caad5, when they were still hand made in the usa. I raced it for a season, and then it got a revamp in 2004(?) with mavic wheels and a full 9spd dur-ace/ultegra parts group. I put about 100 miles on the group, cleaned it, oiled it, and its never been ridden since.

The thing looks brand new. I plan on putting it up for sale on craigslist and wondering what a starting price to ask might be?

Thanks for the help.
I think my bike is a yr older than yours. It was a blacked out special version. Paid $1200 new. I doubt I could get $300 for it today.

Christophe Noel

Expedition Leader
Condition is king. So, even though it's dated, I wouldn't give it away. Road bikes are spendy, so people wanting to get in at an entry level will pay good prices for good used bikes. I'd start at $650 and go from there.

Selling bikes is the bane of my existence. Over the years I've learned that used bike buyers are in it for the deal. Get ready for low ball offers like you've never seen before. So, start high with your asking price.

I'm selling a ti mtb that has a retail value of over $7000. It's literally brand new and people have offered me $1500. Ridiculous.

KiwiKurt

Explorer
Condition is king. So, even though it's dated, I wouldn't give it away. Road bikes are spendy, so people wanting to get in at an entry level will pay good prices for good used bikes. I'd start at $650 and go from there.

Selling bikes is the bane of my existence. Over the years I've learned that used bike buyers are in it for the deal. Get ready for low ball offers like you've never seen before. So, start high with your asking price.

I'm selling a ti mtb that has a retail value of over $7000. It's literally brand new and people have offered me $1500. Ridiculous.

Yeah the prices some of that stuff goes for can be fairly absurd. One story from one friend or one internet post about one guy getting a bike like that for a price like that and suddenly everyone wants to think of of it as a new standard.

I cant complain. The frame came from my sponsor and i got the parts group at cost. I built it for less than a grand at the time. Going into bike shops today and seeing that the new norm for bikes is several thousand dollars absolutely blew my mind. A bike just like mine today would cost 4 grand or more.

Just insane.

kmlacroix

Explorer
I have a few bikes from my enthusist racer days. The only road stuff worth much are my CXP30 and CXP 33 wheels. Keeping the Cx(and Mavic wheels) and MTB though.

KiwiKurt, I agree start higher, be glad to get what you can.

Flagster

Expedition Leader

Yes that is a bit insulting...
BUT...I count on worse depreciation on my bikes than my vehicles...I would say 50% a year...so many used examples on ebay that you often get more mooola parting them out...That is what I do now...

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Randy Towles