The back way to Alamo Lake AZ

mkitchen

Explorer
One of my hopes is to do a trip that merits entrance in the Ride Reports, as in being out for more than a week. But for now, here is the start of a report on a four day trip we just did.

My son, Sam, plans a family campout for spring break every year. This year we went to the north side of Alamo Lake for four days. We usually take the 4X4's but this year Sam, his daughter, Roxanne, and I rode out on the dual sports. We were able to stay on dirt for almost all of the 85 miles from home to the lake. None of the trip was overly challenging but it was still fun to be riding out there.

There is a frontage road that goes between the Santa Fe railroad and I 40. Roxanne is still very new to bikes and I am not much better, so the dirt roads worked fine.

20z8pjc.jpg

Not too much left of Yucca AZ. When I first moved here this motel sign used to be in front of an existing motel and the Whiting Bros. gas station just down the road was still there too.

14vpxua.jpg

In all the years I have been by this spot, I have never taken the time to shoot a picture of it. It has always been called the golf ball and it seems to have been built in the days of the big land scams of the early 60's.

2vju4if.jpg

Pretty much just smooth dirt road from Yucca to Alamo. Once past the Signal turnoff it did get a little more interesting with some hills, corners and narrower road.

2q1c9w4.jpg

Sam and Roxanne were ahead of me since I kept stopping to take pictures.

14kbrs7.jpg

At last, the lake.

975s79.jpg

On the second day we headed out to look for a route that would take us across the river and to the populated side of Alamo lake. We had no luck on that count. Huffman rd went the way we wanted and it took us through the sprawling city of Huffman.

u4w1.jpg

Yep, up on the hill is Huffman. No one was there when we came through but it was obvious that folks at least stayed there pretty regularly.

2vdjj7l.jpg

After Huffman, we continued on, looking for the crossing that we knew to be there. We finally found the right road.

118qes1.jpg

Unfortunately what used to be a bit of a steep drop off down to the river is now a very steep drop off to the river.

2vdo493.jpg

spg2fa.jpg

I am not ready to drop off that bank. Plus we could no longer see where the road came to the river from the south. So much for this crossing, at least for a while.

Here are some teasers for Maggie's Wash. I will show you some more shots in the continuation. Too much sand in the wash for me and since we had some 4 wheelers, we used them.

25thhn5.jpg

2gv1paf.jpg

On the next thread I will cover McGuffie's cabin and finding a functional crossing of the Bill Williams river as well as our trip through Maggie's wash.
Mikey

mkitchen

Explorer
Second installment

Day Three
Today we took off for McGuffie cabin and to find another crossing. A pretty mixed group of vehicles on the trip today.

rwi1rd.jpg

2mmijp0.jpg

2rwpcgk.jpg

nfn1wh.jpg

So with this mix, we took off from camp and headed west with the first stop at McGuffie cabin. With the cabin being in a fairly desolate area, it is still in very good shape. The road is not too bad for most of the way with one rocky pass then the cabin.

2l896dv.jpg

qyclf7.jpg

No doubt there were some celebrating done at this cabin.

1giqaf.jpg

xdw2mc.jpg

Cactus on an island

30j2r8j.jpg

We did finally get to the other river crossing, below Alamo Lake. Unfortunately, the camera waded into the river with Mo and we lost a lot of the pictures.

Here is Son, Sam, and Granddaughter, Roxanne, at the gas line crossing of the Bill Wiliams River.

2d2f6mo.jpg

Our goal was to get to the ghost town of Swansea but it was 4;00 PM by the time we got to the crossing. So we turned around and headed back. The bikes made it back significantly quicker than the four wheelers.

Our last day was to be a short one but I did take the two daughter through Maggies Wash. This was is easy to get to but few know about it. We went through with their Toyotas with Mo driving one and myself driving and the girls looking and taking pictures.

2z6xmr6.jpg

1f9wxu.jpg

This wash goes on for a few miles and there are smaller slot canyons big enough to hike through.

2lm5hma.jpg

Not as impressive as some of the slot canyons that we have seen in Utah and northern AZ but still, these are in our own county and easily accessible.

This trip puts me closer to finding an all dirt set of trails that will take me from Kingman to the southern end of the KOFA refuge, just north of Yuma. It could be taken even further by following the Camino Del Diablo and end up near Ajo.

Who knows, there may be a route found that travels the perimeter of the state.
Something to be considered, eh?
Mikey

Wow! Thanks for sharing! I lived in Kingman for the last 7 years and just relocated back to Phoenix. I miss all the backroads and trails we have in that corner of the state!

Sent from my iPhone

grant22

If you ever want to see more ways back there or see some other routes, look me up. I spend a lot of time riding back there.

Wallache

Observer
This trip puts me closer to finding an all dirt set of trails that will take me from Kingman to the southern end of the KOFA refuge, just north of Yuma. It could be taken even further by following the Camino Del Diablo and end up near Ajo.

Nice report!

AZ back country cabin linkup?

I think the available info on the Internet for Mcguffie cabin just doubled :)

Last edited:

DVD

Adventurer
Thanks for the report. I've done a couple weekend trips down from Burro Springs to Lake Alamo, and then another to Swansea and thereabouts. I always thought it would be a nice trip to combine them. Great idea to keep going south through KOFA and then el Camino.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
WonaWarrior