Mars colony-style tent system - Logos Decagon

anickode

Adventurer
OK, so I happened across this, and I'm just overly amused by it. I don't know if it's been posted before, so apologies if it has.

http://www.gizmag.com/logos-decagon-modular-tent/21001/

It's a tent system that links together in modules, with a variety of rooms from common areas to sleeping quarters, storage areas, hallways, etc. Supposedly it only takes a few minutes to erect each section, and they have "docking" sections available to attach to the back of your vehicle. Even the individual sections look like they would make nice roomy, practical standalone units due to the fact that there's doors on every side and lots of head room.

I can't find much info beyond these tech magazine type articles, much less a distributor, but this seems really neat for groups travelling together and setting up a base camp style operation.

dwh

Tail-End Charlie
What? No rain-fly?

Man...that's a LOT of tie-downs.

I could see it as an aid station or refugee camp command center.

AFBronco235

Crew Chief
I agree with the above. This is more of a semi-permanent setup, best used as a base camp that is meant to last several weeks at a minimum. Maybe a large scale expedition, or something along the lies of "Burning Man" would be an appropriate use. Definitely not the casual expo member.

anickode

Adventurer
I agree... I see the application for this sort of thing along the same lines as a large canvas wall tent... where you want a large amount of space, with large common area, room to sleep plenty, and will be staying put for a week or more.

Keyne

Adventurer
Seems similar to the North Face "Docking Station" tent. Cool concept with the large central dome that could be used without a floor (use as an awning on top of a picnic table) and you could add "rooms" off the central dome for sleeping or gear storage. I think they have since discontinued it (really bad reviews due to poor design)but I always thought it would be great for a base camp. Cool concept.

http://www.cabelas.ca/product/21393/the-north-face-docking-station-dock

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
jgrillz94