Backup Camera Reviews

Mwilliamshs

Explorer
My van has no 3rd brake light (1989) and has no back-up/parking camera. I definitely want a camera and think I'd like to add a brake light at the same time but maybe not...it'd require cutting into my Penthouse top...I'm torn.

Anybody have good or bad things to say about a particular back-up/parking camera? I'm tired of reading Amazon reviews. Somebody loves and somebody else hates every product out there.

Kinda like this one from CrimeStopper More images of camera, including backside.

Also looking for suggestions on monitors. Think a 7" or so would be deluxe.

Last edited:

Bikersmurf

Expedition Leader
Happy with this one... From Costco

http://www.costco.ca/Rear-View-Backup-Camera-System--.product.100107194.html

Good resolution, and straightforward install. Option to have up to 3 cameras.

I'd recomend going to he trouble of a wired camera rather than a wireless.

500-388604-894__1.jpg

attachment.php

attachment.php

The monitor shakes over the bumps a bit in this location... So I'd like to relocate the fan speed knob lower in the cutout, and install the mount where the knob currently is (if possible).:D

Last edited:

Mwilliamshs

Explorer
Yeah definitely not interested in wireless unless it's a secondary monitor option like viewing on my phone in addition to the hard-wired monitor. Thanks for the info!

86scotty

Cynic
The problem I've had with the kits is that they are totally overpriced. The problem I've had with the common stereo/alarm/electronics manufacturer names (like Pyle, Crimestopper, Jensen, etc.) is that the view is crap. The cameras are crap and the monitors are crap. I've had great luck with the better camera manufacturers and you can save a lot of money buying your setup in pieces. Basically the monitor is going to come with everything you need and the camera is going to come with everything you need, so there's the 'kit', it's just two things. What I'm using now, and love:

http://www.amazon.com/gp/product/B00G23HF7U/ref=oh_aui_search_detailpage?ie=UTF8&psc=1

This is a great and well-made monitor. Excellent resolution. I didn't pay nearly $86 bucks for it, go to the '10 new from $39' or whatever link below the main price and order one third party.

This is a good camera that I have bought 2 of. I flat mounted one on the top of the penthouse where the brake light would be, it looked fine. I only bought two because I didn't fuse the first one and blew it up when I was wiring something. Doh moment for sure. I think I paid around $50 for these. They are all over the place online, or were a couple years ago.

http://www.amazon.com/gp/product/B004DTNVPK/ref=oh_aui_search_detailpage?ie=UTF8&psc=1

Here's my current camera, which I couldn't be happier with. Super cheap and works great. Not a night vision camera but lights up amazingly at night. Even in total darkness you can tap your brakes or turn on your flashers and light up the dark behind you enough to take a look. I might just add a one on the front eventually at this price:

http://www.amazon.com/gp/product/B00H3ZN3JK/ref=oh_aui_search_detailpage?ie=UTF8&psc=1

Good luck, hope that helps. I'll post a pic of my setup for you as soon as I get a moment.

d7c6a41dfcbf66ac472c742b538cbc6b.jpg
c40683b387261358029d510e94b8283d.jpg
ca743b27b13084366be2962e0fe11a85.jpg
b1887f991cb4f00c46a48fbf169cc445.jpg

Last edited:

mojogoat

Observer
I second Amazon, I bought a 7" and two cameras for less than $60. I have one pointed down and pointed back. It replaced my rear view mirror and works better than the mirror did. I toggle between cameras with the remote or the switch on the screen. Bought a spare screen for $21 for a spare. Most of the higher priced ones are made in China anyway. I also installed the $15 backup sensors, they work great.

volcomsurfer

Adventurer
scotty is there a way you can record the cameras? Having a camera facing forward and backward that records can really save your *** in an accident.

pugslyyy

Expedition Vehicle Engineer Guy
scotty is there a way you can record the cameras? Having a camera facing forward and backward that records can really save your *** in an accident.

I have an (extremely inexpensive) separate dashcam in my truck that comes on / records whenever the ignition is on. It has a very small screen, but I don't even have it flipped down. The only case I would use it would be to review an incident. It does make a chime whenever I start the truck so I know it is on.

volcomsurfer

Adventurer
I have an (extremely inexpensive) separate dashcam in my truck that comes on / records whenever the ignition is on. It has a very small screen, but I don't even have it flipped down. The only case I would use it would be to review an incident. It does make a chime whenever I start the truck so I know it is on.

Yeah, I was trying to kill two birds with one stone. And since I'll have my dirtbike on the back with some other stuff it would be nice to record anyone snooping around.

I'm thinking of something like this:

van%20spk_zpsmllulaiu.jpg

However I want to run everything through the head unit. I guess I need to find out what head unit I need to get first, then go from there. I'm trying to avoid having multiple screens.

pugslyyy

Expedition Vehicle Engineer Guy
Yeah, I was trying to kill two birds with one stone. And since I'll have my dirtbike on the back with some other stuff it would be nice to record anyone snooping around.

I'm thinking of something like this:

van%20spk_zpsmllulaiu.jpg

However I want to run everything through the head unit. I guess I need to find out what head unit I need to get first, then go from there. I'm trying to avoid having multiple screens.

You'll be able to find a head unit that does audio, video and shows a backup camera easy. I'm just not sure you can get a recording multicamera system integrated into it. I think you are probably looking at two different pieces of hardware - though you should be able to view them all on the same head unit.

I would be more inclined to do the camera / security / dashcam system separate - I kind of like having a separate screen. Usually when I am riding down the road I am looking at two screens, GPS and my rearview camera (which is on the Pioneer head)

Another option for a very capable video monitoring system would be like what they use on horse trailers - http://www.tadibrothers.com/Catalog...m Ultimate-Horse-Trailer-Backup-Camera-System

Mwilliamshs

Explorer
Why the preference for wired vs wireless? Interference, quality, reliability?

Yep, yep, yep. Quality can likely be overcome with $ but interference and reliability are my main reasons, primarily reliability. A solid cable is just way more reliable than a transmitter and receiver, each with their own antenna, especially when you consider that from the back to the dash of the van is less than 20 feet.

Last edited:

Bikersmurf

Expedition Leader
Why the preference for wired vs wireless? Interference, quality, reliability?

Wired works 100% of the time, no lines, flicker, interference. I spoke to an electrician I knew who was using a backup camera on his truck, and decided it was the way to go on the back of a large aluminum box filled with wiring. When it came to hooking it up, I found ambulances have removable panels to access large 'conduits' to handle all the wiring you could possibly dream up (and more)

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
WonaWarrior