Crocs?

kmacafee

Adventurer
Just don't drink so much wearing them you fall asleep with your feet propped up near a camp fire. I had to evacuate a client who had done just that from a remote area and it wasnt fun.

TerryD

Adventurer
isn't that illegal in, like, every state of existence? not to mention terribly unsafe.

"It is legal throughout the United States, Canada and the United Kingdom to drive barefoot. However, in some US jurisdictions, police officers may ticket a driver for other things if the fact that they were driving barefoot or in flip-flops/high heeled shoes hindered their driving and/or resulted in an accident."

source: https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Barefoot

TerryD

Adventurer
I have a pair of Crocs that look like laced loafers I wear quite a bit. I got them at a yard sale, new in the box for a good price and decided to give them a try. I'm very pleased with them and they fill that "around the house but not working" void that my usual high-top hiking shoes and work boots don't really do well. I've considered a pair of the original ones to have around the campsite myself! I may look more closely at them now thanks to this thread!

Dazrin

Adventurer
I dislike the way they look but for quick slip them on and run to the store shoes they are great. Flip-flops are uncomfortable and noisy (I HATE the noise they make when walking) and I don't think they look any better than crocs anyway.

We actually first got them because about every other blog my wife looked at when we were planning a trip to Disneyworld a couple years ago said "this sounds silly but the best shoes we had for getting around DW were crocs..." So, we tried them and they were actually very good for that. No regrets whatsoever.

lugueto

Adventurer
There's nothing as odd looking as a pair of Crocs.

That said, they're as close as you can get to being barefoot without actually being barefoot. They're awesome for fishing, and we use them a lot for camping as well, where you don't have to take them off when walking in the sand, in the water, in the boat. The fact that they cover your foot and they're the easiest type of footwear to slip into (awesome for tents, and the good old midnight piss). They also never stink, wet or dry...

I need to replace mine, they're so worn the sole is almost paper thin. I've been using a pair of Merrel water shoes, which have actual soles in them and they're completely mesh so water enters and exits freely. But I do have some trouble getting along with tiny rocks getting in them, sand staying in them, and the fact that they get unbearably stinky when wet (typical boat shoes). They're also tedious to put on, specially when wet.

I will replace mine ASAP.

*PD: On the driving barefoot note, I would much rather drive barefoot than with crocs, flip flops or sandals on. I feel like those types of footwear will slip because its not propely fastened to my shoe. The tip of my flip flops tend to get caught in the pedal, which also makes me feel insecure. Whenever I have flips flops or Crocs, I drive barefoot.

Is it really illegal? I don't live in the states but it struck curiosity...

Last edited:

Hilldweller

SE Expedition Society
Is it really illegal? I don't live in the states but it struck curiosity...
When I took driver's ed in high school in NJ in the late 70's, my instructor, one of my gym teachers and an x-NFL running back for the Rams, said it was illegal...

I dislike the way they look but for quick slip them on and run to the store shoes they are great. Flip-flops are uncomfortable and noisy (I HATE the noise they make when walking) and I don't think they look any better than crocs anyway.

We actually first got them because about every other blog my wife looked at when we were planning a trip to Disneyworld a couple years ago said "this sounds silly but the best shoes we had for getting around DW were crocs..." So, we tried them and they were actually very good for that. No regrets whatsoever.
You should only wear 'flops when you've done your toenails and are feeling pretty.
And who doesn't want to feel pretty from time to time? Huh?

TactilTex

Observer
Pro tip: When you wear down the tread and they become slick ...Set the table saw blade at about a 1/16 and add some siping.
Like new again as far as traction goes and you double their useful life.

Dazrin

Adventurer
You should only wear 'flops when you've done your toenails and are feeling pretty.
And who doesn't want to feel pretty from time to time? Huh?

From time to time? I like to feel pretty all the time. If it weren't for the noise, I would rock flip flops just to show off my gorgeous hobbit-like foot hair. :D

rotti

Adventurer
Op -bought a pair for the exact same reasons and I'm 100% happy with them

Yeah, after a year and a half with mine I'm also pleased. Noticed in the shower house up in Sturgis that it seemed to be a popular solution with others also.

Also worked great up at elk camp this fall for middle of night trips into the trees and for use in my bug sprayer shower/tent contraption:

BkS11B5.jpg

Sorry no pics of my stylin real tree camo Crocs :(

Rockhounder

Explorer
Ever since my wife brought me some crocs 5 years ago, I have become used to wearing nothing else, 365 days a year. Their new designs now resemble stylish regular looking shoes and boots, and nobody notices. Comfortable as all heck, and last forever, and never any need to wear socks either. I have been wearing them in big bear forthe last month, sans socks, and I am surprised that my feet remain comfortable, even i sub freezing temps... great shoes!!

kojackJKU

Autism Family Travellers!
Pro tip: When you wear down the tread and they become slick ...Set the table saw blade at about a 1/16 and add some siping.
Like new again as far as traction goes and you double their useful life.

Thanks for the tip, I found out the hard way this past week. WOW these things are greasy when worn!

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
FranklinDufresne