Looking for DIY RTT anti-condensation solution

plh

Explorer
Has anybody come up with an effective DIY anti-condensation mat for under the mattress of a RTT that doesn't cost around $100 like to commercial solutions? Hate to spend that much $$ for something that should cost $20 to $30...

Last edited:

southpier

Expedition Leader
as a general observation, if a person can afford a RTT (or ____ whatever the $$$), doesn't it become almost worthless if it can't be used successfully?

plh

Explorer
as a general observation, if a person can afford a RTT (or ____ whatever the $$$), doesn't it become almost worthless if it can't be used successfully?

To your "worthless if it can't be used successfully" comment - Actually I'm surprised they don't include them standard with the purchase.

XJINTX

Explorer
Live in TX now so condensation not a big issue unless traveling. But my wife buys these "bags" at Family Dollar I believe. They are for attracting moisture. We hang one and it's empty but after a weekend it almost full of water??? We just discard and use another next time. If interested I can get the specifics?

southpier

Expedition Leader
.... I'm surprised they don't include them standard with the purchase.

i think "that's how they getcha".

you buy a bicycle for $350. then rack, pump, helmet, for say $150. then patch kit, water bottle, shoes, shorts gloves - see where i'm going with this?

sort of like the 'ice cube filled glass with a touch of soda' for $1.50

Box Rocket

The Tepui AC mats are standard on all of our Ruggedized models. Just like you are looking for a "budget" DIY option for a mat, some people look for a budget way to get into a RTT and are willing to forego an AC mat which is why it's an optional item on our standard model tents. Not everyone needs or wants one and it does add some weight which some people would like to avoid.
FWIW the material that was linked above will cost you more than one of the Tepui AC mats.

Box Rocket

without the mat, does the mattress get moldy underneath?
Anything will get moldy if you leave it moist for too long. I've been using a couple tents for the past couple years without mats. I always open up the tent when I get home to air it out (I'd do that with or without a mat), and at the same time I just pull the mattress out and so it can dry out if needed. I've never had a mattress get moldy.

plh

Explorer
Driwall™ Rainscreen

http://www.keenebuilding.com/residential-driwall-rainscreen-020-1.aspx

You can tank the guys on Pirate - they tested it and it works great and does not compress.

I looked at this too, but where can it be purchased? I see it on Amazon, but in only a 45 foot roll for $142 shipped for 10mm (0.400"). Wouldn't 3/4" thick be a preferred thickness? I think that 1/4" would be pretty thin. Don't really need 45 feet. Nor do I know 4 other people locally with RTTs that I could split a roll with.

Oh yea, I did a search on Pirate "driwall" and came up empty.

Last edited:

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Rinzlerz