Fullsize Pickups; Half Ton Trucks.........Which & Why

bknudtsen

Expedition Leader
IF I had the money to buy new, and IF I was forced to part with my Duramax, I would be looking really hard at the F-150 with the EcoBoost. Even though I am not a fan of V-6's in general, I heard one go by me the other day under load, and the turbo whine was glorious!

Fortunately, I already have a rig that will do 19-21 mpg on the freeway and 14-16 in town and tow/haul way more stuff than I own at the moment.

D45

Explorer
From what I've read..... Yes the Tundra trucks are nice but get 12-15 mpg

I got 16+ in my one ton diesel

I've read that from 2013-2015 Ford got top half ton truck bu poluate mechanics, car and driver, and motor trend

I might need to look at Fords......especially since they are getting 17-20 mpg

Regcabguy

Oil eater.
How does the F-150 compare to the Tundra in payload?

Tundra; 9,000-10,400 pounds towing (depending on options and configs)
Tundra: 1,330-1,520 pound payload

The 26.4 gallon fuel tank in the Tundra is a tad weak

Transferflow offers a legitimate gas tank for the Tundras.
The shop I use did some front brakes on an EcoBoost,4wd with factory pizza cutters it's whole life. The truck's averaged 14.8 mpg from new with 87K on it. Very occasional light towing. They are very quick trucks. I like the build quality of the Fords. I agree about the concern for the underhood complexity though.
My neighbor's 2wd Ecoboost averages 15-17 mpg mixed driving. Stock size Michelins. It's a Supercrew.

D45

Explorer
Does anyone have an F150 with the 5.0L V8?

From the specs, it is powerful.........just not sure how it does for MPGs

MR. ED

Observer
Hey D45, I've got a 13 with the 5.0. I'm getting 18 MPG with 33 inch STMAXX. It seems to have plenty of power to boot. I can fill up the (small) bed with a full load of green fire wood and it still scoots up the hills. I did notice a little lag in performance above 9,000 feet. Pretty happy with it so far.

calicamper

Expedition Leader
Does anyone have an F150 with the 5.0L V8?

From the specs, it is powerful.........just not sure how it does for MPGs

I just asked my neighbor about the difference between his old F150 5L and his new 2016 2.7. Both were crew cab short bed 4x4. He said the the 2.7 has been really impressive. He's pretty convinced that the 2.7 is quicker than the old 5L and hes been seeing 20mpg around town and he said the old 5L never broke 16mpg around town. And occasionally he would see 18mpg in the 5L going up to his cabin 5hr drive about 80% fast, flat highway and 20% small mountain road up to 7000ft the 2.7 so far has been returning 24-26mpg on those trips and hes made 4 trips with it so far. He really liked his old F150 but said the new one is just amazing that he is really happy with it so far. Also he likes how the rear seat flips up out of the way for a flat load floor vs the old one he had to jerry rig something for the dogs.

Dake21

Adventurer
My father has a 2013 F150 5.0L v8 with stock tires and he average 10MPG. I drove his truck for a day and I did 14 MPG av. It feels very solid however.

rayra

Expedition Leader
Very happy with our 5.3 Vortecs, both are well over 100k mi and still strong and smooth. The early years of that motor had a problem with the intake manifold gasket, long solved. we've driven our '05 Tahoe long and hard in deserts and mountains and towed all sorts of things with it, no problems at all. It inexplicably runs a few degrees warmer than my recently purchased '02 Sub, but other than that they've performed ably. And if you get a vehicle with a factory towing setup, you also get a dash control that alters your engine / trans performance / shifting proflie. Tows stuff like it's not even there.

haulhaul_zpsb38e6e55.jpg

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Randy Towles