Big Guy Backpack

I need a new hiking backpack for trips 5 days or less. I'm 6'3", 300lbs, and need one that will be comfortable for my size. The type of frame doesn't matter to me, I am used to an external frame. Any help would be appreciated. Thanks!

dusty122

Adventurer
+1 for getting it fitted. Im similar size but also have really wide shoulders and options are very limited so getting properly fitted weeded out a lot of my options. the only options at the time were for the large capacity bags. i got the gregory palasade and its been very good but id really like to get something slightly smaller next time.

GroovyDad

Wanderer
The Arc Teryx Bora 80 is the best multi-day pack I've ever had. They're pricey, but I got mine on E-Bay for a steal. The top flap comes off and makes into a fanny pack for day hikes out of camp. nwoods is right though, get fitted at REI or another reputable store.

AFBronco235

Crew Chief
Have you tried the local Mil Surplus store? I use an old Alice back for my recovery gear and it will hold up pretty well. I keep about 30 lbs. of straps and shackles and chain in there and no real problems with durability. It will hold plenty and with the back frame, can be adjusted to even your size I'd think. They're relatively cheap but well made. Plus you don't have to pay the name brand upgrade that outfitter stores like to charge you.

Rezarf <><

Explorer
Backpacks are going to fit everyone a little different. Best bet is to try several on and see what you like. Personally, if you haven't done it before I'd go to a good outfitter and get fitted. You'll need a large/Tall frame pack to help with your height and girth. I'm 6' but my torso size is long so a taller pack fits my fame better and puts the waist belt where it should be.

On a personal note, Arcteryx packs are my favorite and a cheap intro into the backpacking world is the USMC Surplus ILBE packs. They can be had at surplus stores or eBay for about $100 or so. Just make sure to look for one with the lid, hipbelt and shoulder harness all included. It is heavy but well made and you can cut a lot of excess stuff off of it to drop 2lbs off the pack. There are pleny of youTube videos that explain the packs in detail. The packs are made by Propper but designed by Arcteryx. They are a great value.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
WonaWarrior