Water Jugs?? What do you use?

dwh

Tail-End Charlie
My solution is sortof along the same lines as dwh's.

I just go to my local Costco and buy the 2-packs (boxes) of Arrowhead 2.5-gallon spring water jugs for a hair over $4. Each jug already has a spigot on it too. Just toss a box (5 gallons) in the truck and go.

The jugs are somewhat more fragile than the Arizona tea bottles (thinner), but kept in the box they seem to hold up reasonably well (and once empty I just recycle them, so each trip starts out with new ones). As an added bonus, the heavy corrugated boxes they come in work great for organizing some of my other supplies too.

View attachment 235827

I've used those in the past. IIRC the two problems that turned me off were that to get a good flow, I had to punch a hole in the top with a knife, and not refillable.

CSG

Explorer
I have three tan Scepter jugs that I bought a few years ago when they were crazy cheap. I've never used them once. They are sitting in my basement taking up room.

What I have used for the last 8 years is a 4 gallon reliance just that resides in the little sink of my van. It's worked flawlessly for years and doesn't taint the water's taste. Why do I use it instead of simply filling the 12 gallon water tank in the van? Because I don't have to constantly sanitize it like you do in an RV tank. I set it on the counter over the sink when stopped for the night and run it as needed, dumping the gray water when I get home. For one or two people, it works great. For drinking water, I usually pick up a case of Costco water bottles for $3.50.

robgendreau

Explorer
Thanks for the LCI site; I got misdirected when I searched on it to the ontimesupplies place, which has the exact same products. Odd. But great that they're still there at $25/. They really can't be beat...and here in CA in our drought looks like I'm gonna have to import water from camping sites back TO my house this summer.... Thanks. Went there and bought a couple more; need one for more grain storage and one for more water. We've been toying with the idea of making one into black water storage, since they are sturdy enough to sit on. Our kayak toilet seat almost fits.

And to CSG, I'm curious about your tank. On my van I only occasionally (like couple of years) have had to throw in some bleach or StarSan (that's a sanitizer used in brewing). Maybe my water's better? I'm away from water for longer periods so I need not only the 15g onboard but usually a couple of 5g's as well. Plus we take water rafting on some rivers (like the Green at low water; seemed to have some chemical stuff we couldn't filter out that got us one year, probably ag runoff).

Last edited:

4x4junkie

Explorer
I've used those in the past. IIRC the two problems that turned me off were that to get a good flow, I had to punch a hole in the top with a knife, and not refillable.

They're completely refillable. Pop the cap (spigot) off, fill it up with whatever, push the cap back on (just need a little bit of effort is all). Very often I'll have one or two filled with tap water for doing dishes, etc.

The vent hole thing hasn't really bothered me that much... I put a small hole in the center of the handle area where water doesn't slosh through as easy (or do without and just "burp" the container by tipping it back for a second once or twice while pouring it). I've had thoughts of shoving something like a Rain-Drip irrigation fitting into the container to work as a vent, but it hasn't been enough of an issue yet to actually try it.

voodoojk

Adventurer
I just got two of these Scepter 2.5g/10l cans ( in tan) Love the smaller sizer for shorter trips where I don't need 5gallons of water plus they pack and sit low on my raft. I can't see myself getting anything but scepter if I ever need to buy again. image.jpg

mtnkid85

Adventurer
I just got two of these Scepter 2.5g/10l cans ( in tan) Love the smaller sizer for shorter trips where I don't need 5gallons of water plus they pack and sit low on my raft. I can't see myself getting anything but scepter if I ever need to buy again. View attachment 278031

Where might I ask did you find the 2.5gal Scepters? I really like that size!
I found some at. http://lexingtoncontainercompanysonlinestore.mybigcommerce.com/military-water-can/. Looks good

Ive always had larger 5-7 gal containers that I would never bring because they just took up too much room and where way too much water for two people weekend trips. So Ive been looking for a nice 2.5-3gal container that I could install a RV pump facet into. I think Ill give one of these a go!

Last edited:
These actually work great. 3-gal is lighter & easier to carry/fill, they stack, and shape details make them easy to handle. The spigot IS vented, internally, this slows the flow slightly but not significantly. I leave these in my van all winter - never an issue when frozen and thawed.

Updated. I am having second thoughts about these. Reviews are not very good at all. Seems spigot is an after thought, no venting, etc. I will keep looking I guess.....

http://www.waterbrick.org/lp-water-containers.php

Jerry Ward

Adventurer
I too prefer the WaterBricks. Have 10 of them that have seen heavy use over the last couple of years and they're holding up well. The optional factory spigot, though nice, is a little on the fragile side so I made my own by attaching a standard brass 3/4" hose bib to one of the caps. Rotate to each container as needed. The smaller volume makes it easier for my wife and kiddos to carry around if need be. I keep two strapped to the roof rack on my JKU year round and they seem worse for the wear. I recommend them...

Scoutman

Explorer
So is there any real noticeable difference between a Scepter can and an LCI can? The cans on the buylci.com site have them labeled as Skilcraft for $25 while the LCI can on Amazon is listed for $40 and the Scepter on the lexington container site is $40. Are we talking apples and apples here?

http://buylci.com/ItemDisplayF.aspx...ottle--5-gal--OD-Green--Plastic&ItemID=600409
http://www.lexingtoncontainercompany.com/Military-Water-Cans.html
http://www.amazon.com/Plastic-Water-Can-Gallon-Desert/dp/B005E0U9YS/ref=cm_cr_pr_product_top?ie=UTF8

WeLikeCamping

Explorer
Like others, I use the tea jugs that you get at the grocery. For me, the cool thing is that you can freeze them with either tea, or water in them. I also recycle 1 gallon drinking water jugs this way. Makes a nice big brick of ice for the cooler, and can be consumed when it melts. I carry reliance jugs for everyday water (not drinking). I don't find them that reliable, bouncing around in a trailer, they can get dinged and abraded, eventually leaking. The spigots never line up properly and they always leak when you put them on their side.

Scoutman

Explorer
I also have some of the 7 gallon reliance jugs and I like putting one in a milk crate as it acts as a protection cage when transported in the trailer or truck bed. When I get to where I need it I can always set the jug on the crate to elevate it if I'm not using it off the tailgate or a table.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
jgrillz94