Water Jugs?? What do you use?

calicamper

Expedition Leader
I cant seem to find any water jugs with any sort of decent reviews. Is it really that hard to make a good jug? Oh and rack ideas for a trailer mounted jug. Not looking to break the bank here but would like a nice 5 gallon ish water jug/set up.

Lets hear the ideas.

Do the atv twist lock style tank/brackets offer water carriers? Anyone use these?

Another challenge my life time trailer I would ideally like to mount something that could stay put when the tent is up, meaning 15inch high jugs wouldnt work if mounted to the side of the trailer box. Hmm so ideas appreciated.

Last edited:

Cringe

Observer
I tried to use a Coleman 5-gallon water jug and the valve leaked steadily, woke up one morning to a mud puddle under the table! After that I just moved on to a Scepter 5-gallon USGI can. No leaks, no worries, and it wasn't that expensive.

Rotopax does make water jugs but I think they are at most 3-gallon and run about $50 depending on where you pick them up. These would be the ATV style you mentioned.

swanyo

Observer
I use two of the 10 liter MSR dromedary bags, they are easy to hang off the jeep or branch. I have used them for several years now without any problems. They can be stored in any nook that I can find since the bladder can conform to odd shapes. Storage when empty also helps.

calicamper

Expedition Leader
Ok here are my ideas.
Cool idea need to figure out what plastic pipe is rated for drinking water and "if" end caps are available. Make my own and rig up a pressure system using a bike pump, and run a water line to the back of the trailer for a camp sink set up.

4gallon rv tank $45. Same pressure idea via air pump.

So far I think a set up that doesnt involve moving the jug er tank to access the water would be ideal.

Scoutn79

Adventurer
This is what I use
http://www.amazon.com/Reliance-Products-Aqua-Tainer-Gallon-Container/dp/B001QC31G6
Have three of these and have used them for a couple decades I think. Pretty darn tough and thick enough to be field repairable with a little plastic welding. Had to do that to one four years back and it still holds.
They have been frozen solid dozens of times, ride on the deck of a flatbed car trailer for hundreds of miles on dirt roads and don't wear through.
The built in spigots are always convenient.
Highly recommended

Darrell

jdillard

Observer
Ok here are my ideas.
Cool idea need to figure out what plastic pipe is rated for drinking water and "if" end caps are available. Make my own and rig up a pressure system using a bike pump, and run a water line to the back of the trailer for a camp sink set up.

4gallon rv tank $45. Same pressure idea via air pump.

So far I think a set up that doesnt involve moving the jug er tank to access the water would be ideal.

http://www.roadshower.com

jdillard

Observer
Those scepter/jerry can style containers look the part but they seem to me like they'd be a PITA in real life to use - at least unless you buy a separate valve for them and then you're pretty much right back to the coleman design but with something that isn't as stable on it's side.

Personally, I've used a coleman 5 gal for years with no problem, though I do turn it up unless I'm using it. I just bought the Reliance version, which is 7 gal and BPA free, so I'll use that for drinking water and relegate the coleman to cleanup duty. Haven't tried it yet, so I can't comment on the quality, but it looks O.K. They make several different types - stackable, collapsable, jerry can, etc. - they all seem reasonably priced.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
WonaWarrior