CDN Chris's Pajero

CDNChris

Observer
Long overdue update:

This summer I'm spending most of it working up in Northern Alberta so won't be getting out as much as I'd like. Did some maintenance on the Pajero back in May and haven't driven it much since. I'm home for a week before heading back up for another 3 weeks.

I replaced the brake pads, thermostat and fuel filter. The coolant has been flushed and tires rotated. While doing the brakes, I found the ball joints have tears so I'll be replacing those soon.

I'm contemplating coating the front and rear bumpers in roll-on bedliner. The chrome has got to go. Eventually I'll get an ARB bull bar for it so I'm just thinking of a temporary cosmetic fix. Could look cool. Thoughts?

Here's some pictures from a little camping trip back at the end of April. One of my buddies has a Raptor that he likes to thrash on but ended up getting stuck really well so I came to his rescue (there was also a side by side helping out too but not in the photo, I couldn't get him out on my own).
DSC_0218_zpspkbfbefz.jpg
[/URL][/IMG]

DSC_0221_zpsxbmbeouz.jpg
[/URL][/IMG]

Beauty
20150509_112358_zpspasfchlu.jpg
[/URL][/IMG]

We had steaks for dinner with some veggies. Throwing the steaks directly on the coals cooks them to perfection. If you've never tried it, it is the way to go for sure. The coals cook it evenly and cleanly.
20150508_211825_zpsgj8zsv8q.jpg
[/URL][/IMG]

Bacon and eggs for breakfast. Never tried cooking bacon this way before so figured I'd give it a shot. Turned out great.
20150509_101017_zps7h5hgno7.jpg
[/URL][/IMG]

And what's a camping trip without some shooting?
20150509_123951_zps3wadhche.jpg
[/URL][/IMG]

Loving this thing. Thanks for reading!

CDNChris

Observer
Time to update. The summer was a bust as I was out of town working for most of it. I removed the running boards and hitch to give the Paj a better look plus some more clearance. I also removed the roof rack and will be getting a bigger one. Some bigger changes are coming in the near future while I also deal with maintenance and replacing parts. I ordered upper/lower ball joints and tie rod ends and will be replacing those soon. I got a hold of some pretty much brand new Firestone Destination M/T's for free that I'm going to be putting on as well. They are bigger than my current tires so that's a big score!

I went camping with some friends last weekend and did some offroading. I got to push myself farther than I have before and it was great to see what the Paj was capable of. We had two Jeep's, an 87 Defender and my Paj. The Land Rover had some mechanical issues so it was only in rear wheel drive for the whole trip but still did quite well. We affectionately named him Pegleg. There were places on the trails that had my friend's not done it in their Jeeps I probably wouldn't have done myself. I'm new to this sort of thing so seeing what these vehicles can do is both nerve racking and exciting. I got stuck twice, got high centered both times so I need to increase my clearance it seems:rolleyes:

I've been hunting around for a winch bumper option and as we all know, there aren't much. I can order an ARB from Aus. but I'm not sure which model it would be. The number is 3434030 and from my Google searches I'm seeing two different types. One that has straight outer vertical bars and one that is curved. Any one know which it is? The other option is to find a used one and modify it as many on here have done. Think a Tacoma one would work? I'm going to check one out and see but I'm thinking the curvature might be too much compared to the Paj's front.

Here are some photos from the trip

The lineup
20150829_153453_zpsd6daubfy.jpg
[/URL][/IMG]

Pegleg just couldn't make it through here. With his pizza cutters and one wheel putting down power.
20150829_155038_zps6ocs0wuk.jpg
[/URL][/IMG]

I got high centered here. Almost made it through.
20150829_165114_zpsb8q8sdvm.jpg
[/URL][/IMG]

Jeep
20150829_173221_zpspfibvdmb.jpg
[/URL][/IMG]

Dirty windshield and part of the trail.
20150830_125547_zpsrhjuvcrd.jpg
[/URL][/IMG]

Pegleg couldn't make it up a part of the trail so we had to leave him behind sadly. But we made it to our destination....
20150830_131641_zpsfvlkzzc1.jpg
[/URL][/IMG]

...some beautiful falls.
20150830_131844_zps0zzp6nul.jpg
[/URL][/IMG]

CDNChris

Observer
Time for an update.

It has been a while since I have posted on here and I have done some work on the Pajero since.

I got a set of new Firestone Destination M/T tires for free from my old job which worked out great since I wanted to move up to larger wheels. I threw them on some good ole steelies as that had been my plan for a while. I want the Paj to have a more rugged/utilitarian look so this is a start.

So that's how she sits currently. I dig it.

Alright, so now on to maintenance work, which I didn't get a lot of photos of.

I replaced my upper and lower ball joints as well as the inner and outer tie rods with some MOOG parts. Most of the boots on the old parts were torn so it was a much needed upgrade. I have a photo somewhere but it isn't that impressive. Just new shiny parts. That day I also had to replace the input shaft seal as the old one was leaking pretty steady. I must have blown it on on the trip above.

Which leads into my next part...

I had quite a bit of oil and junk in my intake, intercooler, and piping which led me to believe the valve cover tappet plate was clogged. So i removed it, and the piping to give them a nice hot bath and soak in kerosene. (My apologies for the filthy engine bay. I didn't do a good job cleaning it prior to this job.)

Cover removed, which needed to be done anyway as the old gasket was leaking in the front a bit.

The bucket of parts... I made some dumb decisions and soaked these in our bath. My wife wasn't impressed. But I didn't have a better idea at the time and it was cold outside. I wouldn't do it again. Once I was satisfied with the results, I left them out to dry and acquired myself a catch can from Kijiji. It worked out well as there was one for sale and it was close to me:victory:

I want to avoid rerouting the pipe from the valve cover to the intake to limit the amount of oil and junk getting back in the engine so I threw on a breather filter to the catch can for now. I was told by a friend I should reroute back to the intake though so I will be doing that once I get some scouring pads to throw in the catch can to reduce the oil getting pushed out.

So shiny! Much fast.

Turns out I sucked up some mud and water on that previous trip too which means I need a snorkel.

A few weeks back I was going to take my son out to the mountains to have a fire and just have some time together...but then my daughter wanted to come and was excited so I brought her and my wife along too. 30 mins into the drive my daughter starts whining she wants to go home:mad: As we got closer to the destination she starts crying:mad::mad: Once we arrived things settled down a bit and for the most part it was a nice little time together....until she started fussing about going home again.......

Here is the family enjoying the day

And here's a beauty shot

Last weekend I changed the oil, replaced a badly leaking oil pressure switch and the 3 belts. She seems to be running nicely.

Incoming items:

Going to replace the bulbs to LED's per Jlocster's posts.
I have a snorkel en route which I will be connecting to a K&N Apollo filter.

Still looking for an ARB bumper and roof basket.

Thanks for following along.

PajEvo

JDM Journeys
Very nice! Great looking truck, and even better that you're out there using it! There are quite a few in the Calgary area now. I sold my last one to a guy in Edmonton who's moving down this way soon. There are also a few Deli's around as well. I currently have a Canadian market Montero, but my wife has claimed it, and I want another JDM anyway. Any interest in a JDM meet sometime this spring? I've had 6 Montero/Pajeros altogether so far, so have experience with the gas and diesels.

Cheers
Phil

CDNChris

Observer
Thanks guys.

Phil, are you the same guy all over 4x4 wire? I read a bunch of your threads on there. I would love to get together for a meet sometime and it's good to hear you're thinking of getting another one.

PajEvo

JDM Journeys
Yep. That's me... I guess since I got the gen3 I've been kinda quiet. Nothing to share in terms of mods. Love the gen3 but I haven't exactly been driving it much. Can't wait to get back in the thick of it! The guy who has my third gen1 is still a buddy of mine too, so we should have a pretty good crew...

PajEvo

JDM Journeys
BTW, nice to see the catch can. Never did get around to doing one on my 4M40 but it was on my list. It should help.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Rinzlerz

Members online