2006 vs 2008 lr3

LR2

I may be in the market for a LR3.
Is there a big difference between these years? 06-08?
It looks like theres only subtle changes. The v8 engine is essentially the same right?
Is there a point in getting an 08 if i find a lower mileage 06?

Thanks in advance.

ryandavenport

Adventurer
I may be in the market for a LR3.
Is there a big difference between these years? 06-08?
It looks like theres only subtle changes. The v8 engine is essentially the same right?
Is there a point in getting an 08 if i find a lower mileage 06?

Thanks in advance.
We did lots of research when we bought my wife's LR3. From what I read, the 2007-2009 LR3s are the most reliable of all so we opted for a 2008 because she didn't like the styling updates on the 2009.

Dendy Jarrett

Expedition Portal Admin
Staff member
We did lots of research when we bought my wife's LR3. From what I read, the 2007-2009 LR3s are the most reliable of all so we opted for a 2008 because she didn't like the styling updates on the 2009.

This!

I was told by the dealer that the 08's and 09's were the most reliable of the lot. I settled on the 09.

D

jpc1818

Adventurer
My 2006 has 240k miles on it. I absolutely love it... Just like any vehicle, make sure it was taken care of.
If you find a well cared for/sorted example, mileage shouldn't play too much of a factor (at least for me it doesn't).
Good luck in your quest..

Colin Hughes

Explorer
I bought a 2007 from my Land Rover mechanic last year who purchased it from a customer and he had done all the major maintenance work, EAS compressor, suspension control arms, corroded wires along the drivers and passenger side footwells. I had the software all updated with autologic when I bought it from him. I've put more than 60,000 kms on it since I bought it. Last week I replaced the sway bar links, front and back, one was broken. Lovely winter potholes up here. Overall, although I don't want to jinx it, it has been very reliable and a joy (perma-grin) to drive.

spikemd

Explorer
If you can, avoid the 2005s. A few issues with that first year of production. Usually better to get the last year's of production as most wrinkles have been addressed. But as stated previously, find the best maintained and cleanest example. I wasn't specifically looking to purchase when mine came to market, but it was a fellow member of the rover club and he had done a few upgrades, scheduled maintenance and it had a bit of trail patina. I knew he had taken care of it so we bought it, even though it was a 5 seater. Already put over 20k miles on her in less than a year and swapped in a third row.

Glad to hear of an LR3 with over 250k. We sold our 4runner with 210k and I am hoping for 200k from our LR3. I thought running around town wouldn't put on as many miles, but adventures really tack on the miles! At 100k now, I am looking to do the dreaded tranny fluid change.

nwoods

Expedition Leader
2007 had several nice to have updates over the 2005-2006 models, including revised bushings, one touch window controls for passenger window, and power seats that are operable without the key in the ignition.

LR2

Thanks for the great info!
I was reading tons about the issues w the little "T" connector on the LR3s/coolant issues and got worried about the older models.
I think I am leaning towards the higher mileage 08 I am finding. Only two owners and great maintenance records & in pristine shape.
Although a different beast, my 08 LR2 has 118,000+ currently without any issues (knock on wood) I think i feel comfortable with the 08s over 06.
Either way I'll keep posted.

Colin Hughes

Explorer
Never knock on wood when things are going well. :) See my post above. Did just that. Yesterday, had a rear wheel bearing replaced. They went to drive the truck off the hoist and out of the shop. Turn the key, hear a clunk, lots of lights on dash. Autologic can't connect with anything. Hard reset, still no luck. Check brake light bulbs. One out, replaced. Still no luck. Started checking fuses under the hood. Fuse 17 for injectors looked different than the others. Pulled it out to look at, put it back in. Truck started up as if nothing had ever been wrong. Replaced fuse. So far, so good.

Mack73

Adventurer
Thanks for the great info!
I was reading tons about the issues w the little "T" connector on the LR3s/coolant issues and got worried about the older models.

Everyone should do the T if they buy one, no matter what the year and mileage. I did the metal upgrade and when I was going to do it, I simply touched the hose and the T crumbled. Truck had ~70k on it.

NCLRbear

Adventurer
My 2006 has 240k miles on it. I absolutely love it... Just like any vehicle, make sure it was taken care of.
If you find a well cared for/sorted example, mileage shouldn't play too much of a factor (at least for me it doesn't).
Good luck in your quest..

That's Awesome!! I have a 171,000 miles on mine and thought that I had a lot of miles. I had a front right wheel bearing go out and replaced the compressor. thats about it for major work. I think my rear locking diff is about to go out this year though.

LR2

the vehicle i am looking at is an 08 with approx 120k miles on it for a phenomenal price. clean history 2 owners and it seems like the guy commutes a ton of mileage for business. tech/climate package. I am help to struggle to see if i should be getting an 06 with lower mileage (say 70k or so) which is around $5-6k more. Then again i could use that $ saved for maintenance. Any thoughts/advice?

nwoods

Expedition Leader
By design, the 2008 is a better car, incorporating all the lessons learned in the 2005/6 model years. And you will need that spare cash for a GAP tool, tires, bushings, etc...

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Rinzlerz