Product Review: LightCap from SolLight

LightCap from SolLight

Price as tested: $24.95

The LightCap from SolLight is a durable solar powered rechargeable LED lantern that is enclosed within the cap of, and fitted on top of a lexan Nalgene-style waterbottle. The company that produces LightCap is located in Hood River, OR, but many of the components are manufactured in China.

I have used the LightCap for about 1 year now, and recognize it as a dependable and practical replacement for the standard LED headlamp or fuel/battery powered lanterns in many situations at camp that require a lesser amount of light than these other options produce.

The top of the cap houses a small photovoltaic cell which charges the built-in batteries for the LED’s, as well as an on-off-on switch for energizing either bright white or red LED light. The LightCap has a built-in photosensor that allows the light to function only in places of darkness, eliminating the possibility of accidentally leaving the light on all day and draining the stored energy.

I’ll often leave the LightCap in the rig, the bush, or any other bright spot during the day to charge, and direct sunlight is not required to replenish the energy cells.

Liquid is stored in the ‘water bottle’ portion, and can be consumed with zero fear of contamination from the electronics located in the cap due to thoughtful product design.

Pros:

- Perfect amount of light for evening activities such as reading or socializing.
- Selectable red or white light.
- Light lasts for many hours (possibly days?) on a single charge.
- Dual purpose product.

Cons:

- Roughly 1.5 times the weight of a normal lexan water bottle.
- A bit top-heavy without liquids in the bottle.
- Not quite bright enough to use as a flashlight.

Overall rating/impressions: 4 out of 5

This product is a great thing to have around camp for those situations where a small amount of ambient light is desired, but because of the added weight of the electronic components located in the cap, I’d not recommend the LightCap for long range hiking/backpacking.

More information about LightCap can be found at the manufacturer’s website: http://www.sollight.com/products/lightcap.cfm

:camping:

Last edited:

K2RVR

Adventurer
WhereTheHellIsJames? said:
LightCap from SolLight

Price as tested: $24.95

The LightCap from SolLight is a durable solar powered rechargeable LED lantern that is enclosed within the cap of, and fitted on top of a lexan Nalgene-style waterbottle. The company that produces LightCap is located in Hood River, OR, but many of the components are manufactured in China.

I have used the LightCap for about 1 year now, and recognize it as a dependable and practical replacement for the standard LED headlamp or fuel/battery powered lanterns in many situations at camp that require a lesser amount of light than these other options produce.

The top of the cap houses a small photovoltaic cell which charges the built-in batteries for the LED’s, as well as an on-off-on switch for energizing either bright white or red LED light. The LightCap has a built-in photosensor that allows the light to function only in places of darkness, eliminating the possibility of accidentally leaving the light on all day and draining the stored energy.

I’ll often leave the LightCap in the rig, the bush, or any other bright spot during the day to charge, and direct sunlight is not required to replenish the energy cells.

Liquid is stored in the ‘water bottle’ portion, and can be consumed with zero fear of contamination from the electronics located in the cap due to thoughtful product design.

Pros:

- Perfect amount of light for evening activities such as reading or socializing.
- Selectable red or white light.
- Light lasts for many hours (possibly days?) on a single charge.
- Dual purpose product.

Cons:

- Roughly 1.5 times the weight of a normal lexan water bottle.
- A bit top-heavy without liquids in the bottle.
- Not quite bright enough to use as a flashlight.

Overall rating/impressions: 4 out of 5

This product is a great thing to have around camp for those situations where a small amount of ambient light is desired, but because of the added weight of the electronic components located in the cap, I’d not recommend the LightCap for long range hiking/backpacking.

More information about LightCap can be found at the manufacturer’s website: http://www.sollight.com/products/lightcap.cfm

:camping:

Just bought one. Great product and an Oregon company to boot!

CYi5

Explorer
Nice thanks for sharing. Seems like a perfect addition for lighting up a RTT while having a late night sip of water before bed :).

ETAV8R

Founder of D.E.R.P.
Sounds like a neat product. Even better with one of the glow in the dark nalgenes.

BigSwede

The Credible Hulk
Hmmm, I'm not getting it. I see no synergy to this combination... unless you are missing a hand, cuts down on the number of items to carry.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Randy Towles