Moving to Kauai, in need of vehicle advise.

Rustyfishook

Have looked on Craigslist over there. Beaters are really beaters. A friend who has lived there recommended shipping a vehicle that we know.

Honu

lost on the mainland
Maui is my home and lived there most all my life till my mid 40s Maui and Lanai not Kauai but its similar younger age big isle and Oahu
moved to mainland about 8 years ago sadly cause of health:( or would not be here sorry not much of a mainlander as I be a island boy :)

some lands are closed as mentioned but once you know folks for hunting access etc..... you can go with em usually but again everything is SHORT but some are quite fun so the off road over there is really non existent as it is on the mainland as a way to travel but it does exist more to go mess around with buddies and have fun and go hunting or to surf spots etc...
never used winch or anything always plenty people pull you out kinda thing bumpers ? personal choice can be good but again not needed really
so we did a ton of off roading but not long trips like here more you go play kinda places or get to places that are not long but it does exist :) as you saw from a few posts
that one you linked to with the pic of monroe trail on Lanai :) I lived on Lanai back in the 90s for a while (its part of Maui county)

we always say the 6 month 1 year maybe 2 year rule applies to mainland folks most dont make it 6 months some do a year but most leave those that make it 2 might stay so we tend to be guarded not to be mean just kinda how it is but most are friendly you will find a % hate anyone from the mainland but are more forgiving if you leave the attitude at home and realize things move slow sadly its just the way it is but the majority of folks are awesome will give you the shirt off your back so dont let the few ruin it just be ready as I am sure you have read about etc...

as I say living growing up in the islands is a lot like being stuck in HS mentality till you are in your 30s and guys want to fight so get ready for the "HEY Haole you like me pound you !"
ignore em :)

I used to have Maui cruisers or harbor cars for just that reason total beaters you dont care about but also had nice cars Porsches and BMW etc..... car parts can be had overnight or a few days unless its a huge heavy part then it takes a while again sometimes you have to get your own in but if you get the correct person it can happen really quick
again often the slow is just to piss you off cause they can :)
never brought nice cars to the beach kinda thing only beaters and left the windows down and open etc... note car theft especially Toyota trucks is HUGE in the islands
like Hawaii is something like #3 in car theft in the US we had our toyota tacoma 4 door stolen pretty much everyone of my friends has had there truck stolen ! usually recovered sometimes not sometimes stripped for parts or just parked in local areas you wont go and it wont be seen by you again and used as a work truck
also note petty theft is HUGE so locked trucks often mean broken windows you learn quickly a open pick up and cooler in the bed is the norm with some 5 gallon wash containers for after water play is also common and often left alone in the back of the beds

shipping not sure what costs are anymore but its pretty common your issue will be getting from Oahu to Kauai usually on barge I imagine like it was Maui where on Maui everything shipping is owned by young brothers not sure about Kauai so if you ship make sure about the connection to Kauai from Oahu unless they do direct to Kauai ? again I was a Maui boy and each island is kinda there own when it comes to things like this never had issues shipping cars on island ever !

but my thoughts are ship a car and figure you can sell it there before you go
most my cars were from Oahu dealers and or mainland and shipped most on island want to much only exception seems to be cruisers (beater cars) so cheaper to go off island and the dealers often can ship to the outer islands pretty cheap as part of the deal

but tacos rule the island for sure most will have 6 inch lifts and tires that stick out :)

sure you read up depending where you work and with who basic pidgin words are good to know
even basic things like Pau (finished or done) are common used so good to know some basic ones :)
Keiki are your children commonly used
once you fit in over there some everyone close is aunties and uncles for sure the term you hear ohana truly fits in so when your local friends refer to you like oh go see uncle (your name) he get you a drink you know you are in with some good folks :)
haole is both good and bad depending on how its used so dont take it as a negative all the time
but you will learn that quickly from being there :)

again dont let the few jerks you will come across ruin it as most folks are cool when you get to know them and the food is awesome most locals are very funny sarcastic though so get ready for lots of teasing and stuff lots of laughing etc..

not sure what rustyfishhook ? if you like fishing you in for a treat :) plenty fishing and for sure spear fishing :) free diving is a part of life over there for most folks :)

enjoy and have fun if you can get to the other islands when you there to for sure cause Maui is no ka oi over Kauai :) ahhhaahahhaah one thing many locals say you dont choose a island a island chooses you :)

get your local drivers lic cause often you can get Kamaaina rates for things like interisland flights and stays and stuff and even some times local discounts like %10 at places for showing local DL

best of luck man great experience even if you only make the 1 year mark at least ya tried :)

Last edited:

Christophe Noel

Expedition Leader
From what I can glean from your posts, you sound like you really just want a Toyota over your Landy, and that's okay. I just wouldn't justify it by saying you need something for off roading, as I guarantee you...it isn't really going to be that big a deal when you're there. I drove nearly everything the island had to offer in a 40 year old AMC Hornet.

Go back and read those forums you found. Most "off roads" are not only super mild, they'r often less than 5 miles long. This is kind of like moving to Kansas and pretending the beaches are ************. :) Kauai IS ************ on a whole pile of levels. Off-roading? That ain't one of them. Overlanding? Pfffftttt... That island is thousands of miles from a good overlanding destination.

But..having spent a 150 days of vacation there with nothing to do but fart around, I will say it's an incredible island. Get a cheap car or wagon. Even a double cab pickup. It's seriously not about the car. It's not about the 20 miles of "off-roading" that will inevitably become nothing to write home about. It is about the awesome beaches, the cool hikes, the amazing breaks, rivers and vistas.

Rustyfishook

Thanks again for your reply!

Actually, I took my Disco question to the Land Rover specific part of this forum and asked for some opinions. All said, we are going to keep our Disco and ship her. Probably buy a little beater island Taco once we get there. I get, and appreciate what you said. Our whole point of moving there is to enjoy Kauai to its fullest! As you said:

"It's not about the 20 miles of "off-roading" that will inevitably become nothing to write home about. It is about the awesome beaches, the cool hikes, the amazing breaks, rivers and vistas."

Thanks again for your help, it really did help!

forty4fun

Observer
Kauai vehicle

In Hawaii - Sand Happens.

I would go with the tacoma pick up. Just to throw all the sandy beach stuff in the bed and rinse at the house. Two kids will generate wet sandy towels , beach toys, boogie boards, coolers, beach chairs etc. But do as I say not as I do. 20 plus years in HI. Came to learn to surf and never left. I have a 80 series that is all murdered out as my teenager says. Plenty of stuff shipped over from Mr. Slee. I only use the winch to pull out trees at the house. I put in Husky liners to limit the sand but still it gets everywhere and you learn to live with it. My cruiser is sun faded and a little worn but I am still concerned with leaving it at a trail head when hiking or Mtn Biking. The meth heads with break in to steal the change from your ash tray. It is bad over here. When camping in Moab never a concern about leaving stuff out at the campsite. I just would not do it over here. But I digress. To the question of the vehicle. You probably don't want a sedan because the roads are so beat up. What about a subaru? AWD which will get you down to beach and up to Camp 10 in Kokee. low enough to get surf boards on top easily. Will haul the wife and kids comfortably while you are sitting in 45 minutes of traffic to get through Kapaa:Wow1:. Most replacement parts at Napa.

To Honu's point before you get on the plane. Stand in front of the mirror and say. "What Brah you like fight me" Until you can say it without having to think about it. The locals are the nicest most generous people you will ever meet anywhere. It is a great place to raise kids because everyone is Hapa something or other. We all just get along. Except for the few that never matured past 19 and like to fight. Live in the community long enough and you will meet them all. Learn to surf - don't drop in and you will be fine.

But to the vehicle of choice. We run Toyota Tacomas as our field vehicle and I have no complaints. They really hold their value over here so you are better off buying in the bigger market and shipping. the 4x4 commands a premium even though there is limited places to use it. I have brought in a majority of my personal cars from the mainland and picked them up at the dock. I love to get out and explore and tell myself the 4 wheel drive enables that. But the reality of the situation is 95% of the time we are at the beach in our free time and I don't need 4 wheel drive to get me there.... Although I live on Oahu. I hunt and fish on Maui (in a unimog), Big Island (rental car that was driven like we stole it) and Kauai and the only time we really needed 4 wheel drive was up in Kokee as the road was rutted and wet. But it was a stock isuzu rodeo with worn tires and 5 over weight guys and enough camping gear to stay out a month although we only went for a long weekend. So we may have needed four wheel to get up a slick driveway with all the weight.

Whatever vehicle you decide make sure you get one killa air conditioner. The closest I ever came to divorce is when the AC went out in our Subaru and my wife told me she was too old and worked to hard to still be driving and island car. Happy wife - Happy life. So I say get the vehicle with the best AC. The rest will work itself out.

Aloha
Forty4fun

Honu

lost on the mainland
forty4fun

since you go to Maui here is something fun for ya if ya zoom in on that point
https://www.google.com/maps/place/2...6397,323m/data=!3m2!1e3!4b1!4m2!3m1!1s0x0:0x0

not sure if you ever knew about one of the old baldwin cabins from way way back when that is up behind locked gates etc...
used to go 4x4 up there and camp etc...

great view of Kaanapali
1923255_130898885944_5010417_n.jpg

cabin at night
1923255_130913290944_4638100_n.jpg

since you mention hunting fishing
miss living on Lanai back in the 90s :) OH Man sure you can relate to what it would have been like though
fishing hunting etc... everday holoholo on trilogy HBI ( I was there head dive guy back then) so we had it do what we wanted which was so so fun free gas and HBI = lots of fun and spear fishing everywhere around Lanai !
did some line fishing to but more spear and some blue water spear at the FADS

choke deer on that island at least back then to for residents(locals) no limits anytime we want to go out had some mouflon to tons of chucker and pheasant ate so good back then
Maui fo pig though dog knife style hunting :)

so homesick now :)

Christophe Noel

Expedition Leader
Will haul the wife and kids comfortably while you are sitting in 45 minutes of traffic to get through Kapaa:Wow1:. Most replacement parts at Napa.
Ain't that the truth. We had two friends that worked in Hanalei on the north shore. One lived just south of Kapaa by about four miles. The other just on the north end of Kapaa. For one friend, the drive to work was 20 minutes. For the other it was 40. They only lived 5 miles apart. Getting through Kapaa is just awful.

Enjoy your time on Kauai. We sure did. I will say, I did eventually get a little Rock Fever. I felt pretty confined to such a small plot earth. Probably my kansas upbringing. :)

Honu

lost on the mainland
not to mention if its like Maui working on one side living on the other if any accidents happen or fire or blockage from slide
expect to wait at least 8 hours or more till its cleared :)

funny about rock fever :) I get the opposite want my island back and miss having everything I want within a short drive from 300+ inch rain forest to most wet cold forests to desert dry hot or just the perfect weather all the time and I can do those all in a day :)
for sure must be what one is used to :) I get mainland fever :) ahahhaahhahaahha

also had a hard time adjusting to directions here as everyone uses miles and distance instead of time and landmarks ? its those little things for sure

you go down the lower road about 5 minutes till you see the huge kiawe tree on the corner then you take a left and go about 3 more minutes when you go past the blue house with the big mango tree you there

forty4fun

Observer
Honu,

Shoots. I guess this is a highjack...

Never been to the Baldwin cabins. We stay at the hunters cabin on DHHL land up the mountain from Polipoli. It is "rustic" Plenty goats and a few pigs. Used to be able to hunt feral cattle up there but I think DLNR stopped it.

Since you are homesick I guess I will twist the knife. Ono kine grinds at the Keiki Luau. Think of this the next trip through MacDonalds drivethru.

Attachments

• da pig.jpg
    da pig.jpg
    189.2 KB · Views: 8

Honu

lost on the mainland
OH looks good serve on poi buns always liked mine with a bit of poi mixed in to hold it together :) and some haupia for desert :) no need more nice simple that way choke amount for both

whats funny is still get some stuff from the islands but lucky for me some places here have things like aloha shoyu etc..... those little things in life that are actually quite a feeling of home :)

edit to to say waipoli road area going to to the homelands area after the park was fun area to play in truck and one would not think they are in the islands if they woke up in those forests of Polipoli:)

Last edited:

cdthiker

Meandering Idaho
Well.... My vote is Ditch the rover while you can still get a few grand for it. At some point its gonna blow. Does not really matter where you are, its coming its an old truck.
Dont get me wrong, I LUST after the LC's almost had the wife conviced for about five mins to ditch the civic so we could get an 80. Would I ever ship one to the islands. Most likely not. Again, they are old trucks. Even most 100's are geting up there unless you find some gem.

I say go pick up a nice 4 runner that will be worth shipping back and forth at the end of the trip. the third gems are out there but at this point i would say try and find a newer one with one of the 4.7's in it. Those motors have few problems and no crap run forever.

Or get a tacoma. No need for anything fancy I love both my 4 runner and my tacoma. Both serve their purposes. It sounds like you have gotten some really good tips for people that have been there done that. so sticking in side the topic of your first post. Buy something mid range that has value. ship it and either sell it there since they go like hotcakes, or ship it back if it still has value.
with the disco you are talking about perhaps 12 grand in shipping fees on a 3 thousand dollar truck.

If it were me I would buy a ten year old honda civic once i hit the island and a dirtbike with plates. your still cheaper then shipping a car from the states.

Arktikos

Explorer
..with the disco you are talking about perhaps 12 grand in shipping fees on a 3 thousand dollar truck.

If it were me I would buy a ten year old honda civic once i hit the island...

12 grand? Divided by 10. But I agree with you about ditching the Disco before heading over. Also agree with everything Christophe Noel has written in this thread.:)

Christophe Noel

Expedition Leader
I still say take the Rover. Pay the $1500 to ship it there. Drive it for a year, probably putting less than 3,000 miles on it. Sell it and recoup your shipping costs and pocket enough money for a big party with the family before you leave. Even now that thing is probably not worth much more than $3-4000 tops.

Mauka2Makai

Explorer
Hi all, and thanks for reading.

So, the wife and I are planning to move to the island of Kauai for minimum 1 year. We have two younguns, boy 2 $ 1/2 and almost 7 month old little girl. We currently own ( and love) a 2002 Disco Series II with 4.0L. She is getting up to the 140,000 mile mark, and we are having the discussions of seling her and transitioning to a different vehicle platform.

We would like to have 1 vehicle if possible over there. While we love the Disco, I fully understand the ramifications of a high milage Land Rover... That said, here is what we are considering.

Toyotas: Land Cruiser, either an 80 series or 100.

4Runner

Tacoma 4 door with a shell.

With the Land Cruisers, I'm leaning a bit more toward the 100 series over the 80, due to really high milage of the 80's I've been seeing advertised (we are in SoCal). The 4Runner is a question mark as I really have no personal opinion of them. The Tacoma made the list because I'm a bit of a truck guy at heart, function and practicality.

Why Toyota? Maintenance and longevity. I want to ship a vehicle that I am sure as can be that is mechanically sound.

Equipment: I'm a bit of a minimalist. I'd prefer to get a stock vehicle and add an OME lift, and MAYBE ARB bumpers and a winch. I already own a High-Lift jack and the recovery tools.

So, there is my dilemma.

What say you? And, thanks again.

Rusty, I would consider a 4 door Tacoma trd prerunner. I had a 2004 trd pre runner and a 2009 trd 4wd and both were 4 door for the family. In all reality 4wd won't really be necessary, a trd off-road has the rear locking diff and will be more than fine for island use. Land Rover parts and maintenance would be ridiculous prices as would a land cruiser on Kauai. It's so expensive there just get a reliable Toyota Tacoma and spend you time in the water. My cents:sombrero:

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
WonaWarrior