DIY cargo trunk door source, like Tuffy...

urbex

Observer
I'm working on building out a '62 IH Scout 80, and really like the idea of the Tuffy cargo security lock boxes, but really dislike the high price of what amounts to a steel box with a door and a hinge, and also that it doesn't match the dimensions of my bed area very well. Ideally, I'd like to have something that matches the height of the wheel wells exactly, so that I have a flat surface from rail to rail.

I can fabricate the box itself easily enough, and have it exactly to my desired dimensions (my thinking was to use the existing cargo bed as the sides/bottom, then just add a top panel similar to the Tuffy Add-A-Trunk panels for Jeeps. Adding the flip top would also be easy, and I'm thinking I'd like it in multiple sections, such as a forward compartment for permanently mounted accessories I wouldn't need frequent access to, like speakers, battery boxes, air tanks, etc. Middle compartment for tie downs, jumper cables, camping gear, etc. Rear compartment by tail gate for recovery strap, shackles, tool kits, 1st aid kit, etc. I'd also like to have a rear opening door as opposed to a flip top panel for easier access.

That said, is there any kind of pre fabricated door panel I can buy, similar to what Tuffy puts on their boxes, without having to buy the entire box? I'd tried searching, but either they don't exist, or I'm not using the correct search terms, lol. My suspicion though, is that this is a good excuse to buy a sheet metal brake :D

cwm

Observer
Interesting post. I have wanted to find a storage compartment door or door and door frame for a trailer I am building.

Some of the companies that build truck storage boxes say that they will give quotes on custom sizes.so they might be willing to do a door and frame.

One company I have been meaning to contact is 800 truck box. They have a web site.

Any companies in your area that make truck beds, ie. flat beds?

Please post any results you find.

urbex

Observer
Interesting post. I have wanted to find a storage compartment door or door and door frame for a trailer I am building.

Some of the companies that build truck storage boxes say that they will give quotes on custom sizes.so they might be willing to do a door and frame.

One company I have been meaning to contact is 800 truck box. They have a web site.

Any companies in your area that make truck beds, ie. flat beds?

Please post any results you find.

Tuffy will do custom made to spec stuff as well, but that gets pricey in a hurry. Cost saving is the major drive for me, otherwise I'd just send them a drawing and my Visa card number, then move on to other time sinks, lol. If it's not available off the shelf already, it's likely to end up costing me at least as much as a Tuffy box, if not more.

I started thinking about it more last night, and I might just do a multiple compartment flip top anyways. I'm likely going to to end up going with a tailgate mounted tire carrier, and I _really_ don't like the swingout carriers, so I'll probably just do a fixed mount which will mean I won't be able to open the tailgate without taking the spare off and thus means I won't have much use for a rear opening door anyways.

I'm still also considering the purchase of a sheet metal brake, and just fabricate what I want.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
WonaWarrior