Bear repellant

ttora4runner

Expedition Leader
Going to bring this thread back from the dead. I'm going to be heading into Glacier NP and up into Canada in July doing some hiking and fishing and I'm wondering for those who carry bear repellant what all are you using.

Came across this on another site: http://counterassault.com/

Cee-Jay

Sasquatch
Some evidence suggests that bear spray works better than firearms. My understanding is that you want to go for the large sized container and you want to look for an EPA approved product which will have with between 1 to 2% capsaicin. Keep it readily available (belt holster for ex) and use two hands to shoot (they have a bit of recoil, believe it or not). Oh yeah, practice makes perfect.

Not sure if brand makes a big difference. I use Counter Assault and i've seen it recommended before, but I've not seen a true side by side comparison.

Last edited:

matt s

Explorer
Just use the thing between your ears guys. Bears are really not that big a deal. I'm not saying I go unprepared but I don't let it consume my trip. I spend a lot of time with bears, just be smart, keep a clean site.

Gun/spray whatever floats your boat, bring it but don't dwell on it. Go enjoy your trip and if your lucky watch some bears in eir natural habitat. It's a pretty amazing experience.

JKJenn

Adventurer
I can see it now: You have a bear encounter that threatens you in the northern Rockies and throw a bear banger, only to unintentionally start a forest fire.

eggman918

Adventurer
Karelian bear dogs make an effective line of defense as well and never fall into a false sense of hope that wildlife is cute and friendly. :)

Having been the proud owner of a Karelian bear dog he served well both for bears and cougars,living in California cougars are more of a threat/danger than bears but dogs are a great determent
and a better early warning system to both as predators choose "low hanging fruit" and will tend to move on to the next camp rather than argue with a determined dog,and if they choose a confrontation
THEN you can use the Mossberg to "help" convince them to move on or use deadly force. If I camped where grizzlies/brown bears lived I would being more than one dog,for the dogs safety.
We NEVER venture into the wilderness without our dogs.
As an afterthought I fear human predators more than animal predators when I am in the boonies,but that being said the dog/Mossberg system works well for both.

Last edited:

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Randy Towles